Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Silverwyvern

Yaaaargh (puppies)

I have been looking for dog for awhile now. I have specific needs. I Need a quiet dog.. a young dog..etc.

So I track down all the possible breeds that match. I find a couple ideal breeds. So far it's simple.

Now comes up the 'puppy mill' ordeal. I'm not supposed to buy from petshops, or dogs listed in the paper because these dogs -may- have been brought up in a horrible place. (And puppy mills -are- horrible, if you ask me)

So this makes me think "Hey, okee.. I'll get a dog from a breeder. It'll be morally correct."

So I email a breeder about their prices on their puppies.
1400$ per pup.

Now I can't help but recoil in fear with a pricetag like that. ESPECIALLY since the same damned breed at a pet store is 500$

I -am- looking in shelters and stuff.. but it's rare to find a small young dog that I'm after. And when I do find them, they are out of state, out of country, and nobody wants to ship them (understandably)

Anyway... moral of the rant:

I'm tired of being morally wrong because my wallet isn't big enough to buy a 'proper' puppy.

How is anyone supposed to buy a dog nowadays??

</rant>

Silverwyvern said:
I'm tired of being morally wrong because my wallet isn't big enough to buy a 'proper' puppy.

How is anyone supposed to buy a dog nowadays??
</rant>

I got a red healer puppy from a property just outside of town for $45 (AUS) coz he was a runt. He’s since grown up to be a happy and healthy dog. He’s not too difficult to look after, but he is a working dog, so he needs exercise. Have you looked around farms/properties and the like?

I used to live on a farm ;)

It's hard to find a toy breed on a farm. I know at least 10 german shepherds looking for homes.. but I need an apartment sized dog for when I move.

honestly one dog is as good as the next, unless u use them for certian tasks: police work, hunting, shows, and other usefull things (to bad there is not a breed for mowing the lawn eh.)

personaly i go low end for a few reasons, one price. a good dog dont need to be 1400, i got mine for free and he is 15 and still great. try to know who you are buying from. i dont buy specific breeds because many breeders inbreed them for certian traits(thus makeing them un healthy and or unstable) unless you know someone who is a good breeder. other dogs i have heard that are bad, even more so if u got children or plan on having children in the near future. dalmations have mental problems, i have know a few people who got them only to have them suddenly snap. other things i dont get are poodels and chahahas(hower ever u spell it, i pronounce it mexican rat dog)
anyway happy hunting, but do your research is all i can say

Mixed breed puppies are just as good, if not better, than pure-breds. My older dog is a multibreed mutt, mainly black lab, and while she's had a few problems, she's a healthy thirteen years old.

My younger dog (a purebred Rottweieler puppy) was a gift from one of my dad's friends after a biker buddy of theirs passed on. She was the runt of the litter, and turned out ot be perfect for us.

Funny thing: when you're up close to my dog, she looks so small and docile. But when you're on the driveway looking at her patrolling the front deck, she just looks BIG. And her little body is all muscle.

I never said I was against mixed breeds, guys.

It's just hard to find a small shaggy mixed breed...

It sounds so very common.. then you start looking.. and can't find a single one.

As far as research, I've been reasearching for about a year now...

(gotta have something to do in 3ds Max class)

Sephiroth said:

i dont buy specific breeds because many breeders inbreed them for certian traits(thus makeing them un healthy and or unstable)

like chocolate labs that are only bred for color making them very stupid dogs prone to various genetic disorders.

young and quiet dogs are hard to find in shelters. the reason why dogs get in to shelters is because:

A) they are too noisy.

B) too big

C) too destructive

D) the owner of the bitch can't deal with the the litter.

it's unfortunate that the fate of my kindred spirits are subject to such cruel standards. any dog is a dog worth owning, if you can take the responsibilty for it.

If I got a dog, I wouldn't mind getting a Welsh Corgi. My neighbors owned a Rottweiler for a time. He was quite gentle. basically a big lap dog (Have you ever had 150+ lbs of dog in your lap, snoring? Your legs fall asleep fast).

But whatever you do, do not get a border collie. Those are not only energetic, but they are smart, and will fuck your home up if it is a small apartment.

Submerge said:

But whatever you do, do not get a border collie. Those are not only energetic, but they are smart, and will fuck your home up if it is a small apartment.

I had a lab/border collie mix. she was fast and agile(like a border collie), but had low intelligence and an obsessive-compulsive disorder(from the lab). it took a while to break her of certain habits, but then she would get new ones. it didn't help that my ex-girlfriend didn't know how to train dogs and would undo a lot of my work.

but like I said she was fast. she would blow away all the dogs at the dog run. she would make awesome twisting leaps to catch balls thrown to her, sometimes clearing larger dog in the process. too bad I had to leave her with my ex :(