Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phobos Anomaly

Ludicrous Levels of Optimization

Can we talk about how ridiculously well optimized this game is? 

Despite what the recommended specs say, I have an Intel Core i5-8400, a GTX 1070 Ti with 8 GB VRAM and 16 GB of RAM and I can run this on all Ultra-Nightmare settings at 1080p without once dropping below 75 FPS. I still get occasional framedrops in DOOM 2016 and constant texture pop-in issues. DOOM Eternal is also a significantly smaller install than DOOM 2016. The primary reason for these improvements is - among other things - the elimination of megatexture.

I've watched the Digital Foundry tech episode discussing the improvements to id Tech 7, it's well worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

What kind of performance are you guys getting, and what kind of specs are you running to get those numbers? What are some of the surprises/issues have you guys encountered, performance-wise? 

i7-2600, GTX970 with 8G ram running at 1440p at high settings (textures at medium due to 4G ram limit). I get a very steady 60-70fps and the game feels very responsive. I have to run borderlands 3 at 720p to keep the frame rate steady, the slaughter domes absolutely tank the fps at higher resolutions.

The load times are really impressive.

i9-9900ks, RTX 2080 TI with 32 GB ram running at 3440x1440 at Ultra Nightmare settings. Framerate is usually in the 150-200fps range.

Loving the short load times!

I'm getting buttery-smooth performance on Ultra settings with my i7-7700, 16GB RAM and GTX 1060 6GB. What really amazes me are the loading times. I have a mechanical HDD and no Optane memory on my current machine, but this game loads fast. Doom 2016 takes ages by comparison.

My card has 2 gb, sometimes it hiccup a bit but it's definitely playable. Resolution and details don't even need to go down too much. Run better than doom 2016 for sure. 

It performs well because they remove parts of the map which aren't being viewed by the player. If you were to Noclip through walls you'd see most things disappear and the game would start bugging out.

2 minutes ago, TheSaneOne said:

It performs well because they remove parts of the map which aren't being viewed by the player. If you were to Noclip through walls you'd see most things disappear and the game would start bugging out.

This is called culling. Most modern games employ culling, but the performance of id Tech 7 is still far beyond most modern games.

3 minutes ago, Phobos Anomaly said:

Forgot what the technique was called since the last time I used it with something like UE4. Also yes most modern games do employ culling, but the way it's handled in Doom eternal is far more extensive compared to games like Arkham knight (Probably a bad example lol) and bio-shock infinite.

14 minutes ago, TheSaneOne said:

They described this in the Digital Foundry video, and I believe things have become simplified because meshes are used now, instead of brushes.

Off the top of my head:

Brushes are literal building blocks for maps (bricks, if you like, for the walls, floors and ceilings) that were first used in id Tech 2 thru 4, until meshes were used instead which helped with the megatexturing. Brushes are simpler than meshes, but they required a lot of processing for the binary space partitioning in a working BSP file. In fact, brushes were so simple, the MAP file format was designed by John Carmack to describe the co-ordinates and texture alignments in an easy-to-edit text file that was processed into a BSP to run in the game.

In fact, I think that meshes were plonked on top of brushwork for decorative objects from around id Tech 3 onwards, and Unreal Engine 2 did it extensively for the Tournament games.

In the end, id Tech 5 thru 7 switched 100% to meshes, which by then were easier to edit and more versatile, as can be seen in the fine details of the new Dooms and Rage.

I may be wrong on some of this, please tell me if I am.

29 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

They described this in the Digital Foundry video, and I believe things have become simplified because meshes are used now, instead of brushes.

Off the top of my head:

Brushes are literal building blocks for maps (bricks, if you like, for the walls, floors and ceilings) that were first used in id Tech 2 thru 4, until meshes were used instead which helped with the megatexturing. Brushes are simpler than meshes, but they required a lot of processing for the binary space partitioning in a working BSP file. In fact, brushes were so simple, the MAP file format was designed by John Carmack to describe the co-ordinates and texture alignments in an easy-to-edit text file that was processed into a BSP to run in the game.

In fact, I think that meshes were plonked on top of brushwork for decorative objects from around id Tech 3 onwards, and Unreal Engine 2 did it extensively for the Tournament games.

In the end, id Tech 5 thru 7 switched 100% to meshes, which by then were easier to edit and more versatile, as can be seen in the fine details of the new Dooms and Rage.

I may be wrong on some of this, please tell me if I am.

As far as I know BSP brushes in UE4 today are used for prototyping maps and models. Once you have a general idea of what you're creating you're supposed to replace them with static meshes, which does improve performance since BSP is quite slow.

No clue if Id Tech 5 - 7 use 100% meshes though.

Suddenly I wonder if this game would run decently on my i7-7500U / 8GB RAM / GeForce 930MX laptop...

Obviously I'd set the graphics to Low for optimal performance.

Just now, MFG38 said:

Suddenly I wonder if this game would run decently on my i7-7500U / 8GB RAM / GeForce 930MX laptop...

Obviously I'd set the graphics to Low for optimal performance.

It most likely would.

They finished Doom Eternal mid 2018, the rest of the time including the delay was optimisation.

It may be one of the most well-optimized games I've ever played, and the load times are just insane given how large and detailed most of the levels are.

I have a G4560, GTX 1060 3GB (listed in the game's "minimum" requirements along with the GTX 1050 Ti, a much slower card), and 8 GB RAM.  On Ultra Nightmare quality, with Texture Pool Size set to Low (due to the VRAM limit), Motion Blur disabled, and DRS enabled, I get 40-60 FPS at 1080p during the fights in level 5.  The resolution scale does drop to 50% at times (during which the game runs at 40 FPS), but it is still impressive that the 1060 3GB can handle maximum settings.  Obviously on lower settings the game stays at 60 FPS.

On 4/11/2020 at 3:36 AM, MFG38 said:

Unfortunately probably not.  UserBenchmark says the GTX 1060 3GB is +517% faster than the 930MX.  Even though the GTX 1060 3GB can handle even Ultra Nightmare, +517% is a huge difference, so the game would likely be borderline unplayable regardless of settings.

Playing the game on the crappiest oldest ps4 and frames rarely drop but there is a bit of texture compression. Still looks great. Sorry if this was pc only I just think it’s cool how well optimized it is for all platforms. 

On 4/10/2020 at 10:15 AM, Shaviro said:

i9-9900ks, RTX 2080 TI with 32 GB ram running at 3440x1440 at Ultra Nightmare settings. Framerate is usually in the 150-200fps range.

Loving the short load times!

Jesus, if there's one thing that all triple A companies have to copy after Doom is the optimization. 

i5-3570, GTX1050ti 4GB, 16GB DDR3.

This is the same specs I used for Doom 2016 and it ran ridiculously smooth right out of the box.

GTX 980Ti, the best sckt1155 CPU, 16B RAM, 1600x1200at100Hz, SSD. smooth apart of the last room of Nekravol Part II (2 titans, 2 chains), insta load. Doom 2016 was pain to load from HDD