Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GooberMan

[WIP] Demon Workers Unite! (Looking for contributors, see within)

Posted (edited)

The demons are unionising! Thanks to the Doom Slayer, working conditions have deteriorated and the common demon just won't tolerate it any more. Doing a spit-take while sipping on his blood mochaccino, the Doom Slayer decides that only Earth governments can make a mockery of unions in such a manner and sets about to clean up the problem.

But first things first. That mochaccino won't refill itself. Where'd that barista go?

DWU! is a planned 32-map megawad targeting vanilla Doom. I know, right? I feel so naked without typing in scripts.

So, Finland locked down thanks to the coronas. Within a couple of days, I had a Doom level editor out. Decided to challenge myself by making a vanilla compatible map. And then got so inspired that I had a grand idea: What about if I got a bunch of game developers to join in and make it a megawad? Make it a bit of a present to the people who keep buying our games which keeps us employed; and besides, so many of us were inspired by Doom to get in to the industry so give something back to the game.

The major restriction is that it will be vanilla compatible. I've spent so much time already in nodes view mode avoiding HOMs and visplane overflows. Even that hasn't been enough, and I've had to get creative with tactical map modification.

Which brings up the next major feature: The intention is to abuse Mikoportals and voodoo dolls to make a vanilla megawad like no other. I really want to get away from slaughter style gameplay, so using ghetto scripting we can start enforcing interplay instead of infighting. Pacing when monsters spawn leads to some really interesting (to me) map designs, and can really surprise the player even with the stark limitations on display.

(Yeah, turns out I can't avoid scripting at all. Sue me.)

I'm going to start chasing up my own industry contacts, but short story: If you're interested in contributing and have either shipped a game or are currently/have been employed in the industry then shout out in this thread. Kaiser is conditionally interested in contributing an early-slot map (the main hurdle will be whether this becomes a project or just remains a forum thread) so join in and sip a blood mocha or two.

Current progress on my MAP07 candidate is linked below. Outside of Mikoportals, I've found using crushers+barrels on hidden monsters to reset a room with non-alert monsters to be a really interesting design path that I'll be elaborating on as I continue in the project. I've got distances set up with everything so that each monster/voodoo doll only takes 2HP of damage, which seems to be the absolute bare minimum that you can get it to. It's also not really possible to go full Doom 64 with map transformations, the ceiling specials just aren't flexible enough. But there's still some cool shit you can get away with.

(Oh the mouse lag, unbearable, had to god mode to get that footage in Doom II Classic Unity. I can beat it in one on Choco. And ZDoom, well, Mikoportals don't work so I use a Boom friction special on the hidden sectors to achieve the same frictionless effect that Mikoportals give you so this works flawlessly there too - just never set foot in those sectors in vanilla or you'll crash out. Hence why I've named the map "idspispopd" because you'll break it if you noclip.)