Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lilpastasalad

Making ZDoom maps compatible with multiplayer sourceports

Question

I've only ever made vanilla-compatible maps, but I've been wanting to learn how to make more complex maps that require ZDoom features like 3D floors, poly objects, etc. I want to make fun coop maps, but I know Skulltag and Zdaemon only support certain Zdoom features. What format should I be mapping in, and what features should I avoid to make sure my WADs play correctly in these source ports? Thanks.

3 answers to this question

Polyobjects should be fine in all three main ports, though I don't know if Odamex fully supports the kind of complex polyobjects that ZDoom can do. If you're just doing things like sliding doors or rotating doors, it should be fine, though.

3D floors are only supported by Zandronum, and only if they aren't sloped. You can however use bridge things and make them visible with mid textures, that will work in Odamex and ZDaemon too. For bonus points you can combine them, making midtextures+things bridges that are inside a 3D floor so it looks great in Zandronum but still work in Odamex and ZDaemon.

ACS should also work in all three ports, though that depends on what functions you use.

In general, the best way to make sure something works in all ports is to test it. Add something to your map that you're not sure is supported everywhere, then test the map in each port to check. For map geometry, you can test in single-player mode.

I wouldn't say UDMF is more complicated to map with than Hexen format. But it can perhaps be more intimidating, since there are so many options... The thing is you can ignore most of them. The way the older formats are simpler is just that they don't have these options, so they force you to ignore them. As for the large size, yeah, but on the other hand, since it's text with repeated keywords, it compresses extremely well. For pk3 archives (basically: zip files with a different extension) the size issue is negated.

However, in multiplayer land, I believe only Zandronum supports UDMF. Odamex and ZDaemon did not, last time I checked. So yes you'll have to use Hexen format.

Thanks, that answers a lot. As for map formats, I read a bit about the Hexen and UDMF formats. From what I understand UDMF is supported by a few big source ports including Zdoom and its derivitives and has all the features of Hexen format, but it can produce large files and be more complicated to map with. Is Hexen format the way to go then?