Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

How will DOOM 6 work?

I haven’t yet finished Doom Eternal but

Spoiler

I hope that the next Doom ropes in Quake 1 because they seem to have already begun painting a picture of a multiverse, they use the term “slip-gate” and there are a lot more gothic worlds intermixed with the hell-tech world of Doom. It seems perfect to do something like show Quake 1 guy is another slayer or iteration of slayer. The plots were already so similar.

Doom 6 will be set in ancient Persia so they can expand on all the swinger poles and wall grab climbing mechanics. It'll be in 3rd person with more Prince of Persia style jumps, wall running, ledge climbing, reverse time, traps, puzzles, etc. The DoomSlayerPrinceGuy will team up with a hot Imp Princess to defeat some crazed demon cyberwizard. Your only weapons will be daggers that consume demon souls that allow you to go into different modes of slaying depending on what dagger mods you enabled at interactive shrines.

Seriously tho, who knows what they'll do next. Hopefully the next game will have a location that's not about Earth and Mars. Maybe it can take place well after the events of previous games. The UAC are exploring some distant star system and discover a derelict alien space station and when they power it up, demons come through a portal / teleporter. Or the UAC are in some war with an alien race and they take the fight to one of their closest worlds to Earth and at the start of the game you're fighting aliens but they're fucking with portal tech and all of a sudden they're getting decimated by an unknown force, which turns out to be a demon invasion. Maybe there could be diff game modes... In classic mode the aliens get wiped out and you go it alone against demons like your great, great grandpappy who used to tell stories of fighting demons and everybody thought he was crazy. ;) In Alien Blood mode you team up with the aliens to fight the demons and in Crazed Marine mode you have to fight aliens and demons at the same time.

Ahh I dunno, it'll probably be a reboot or a remake and it'll be called, Doom and we'll have to refer to it as Doom 2025 or something.

6 hours ago, Fonze said:

Clearly doom 6 will follow the trend listed in this thread and go back to its doom 3 roots, replacing all of the movemet/navigational tech with a flashlight and the guns with a pda.

Uhh, Doom 3 never replaced the guns with the PDAs.

You jack the input cable directly into the neural port installed in the back of your skull.

Hearing the way Hugo and Marty gushed over Doom 64, even citing it to be a huge inspiration for much of DOOM Eternal, I'd say already that DOOM Eternal already got that Doom 64 vibe to it.

You gotta read between the lines and look at many of the graphical and audio aesthetics they used in the game.  If you look closely, the way the DOOM Eternal Combat Shotgun is built very much like the Doom 64 Combat Shotgun, and if you listen closely, their firing/pumping sounds are similar.  The DOOM Eternal Super Shotgun is chunky like the Doom 64 Super Shotgun, and if you listen closely, you'll notice that the firing sounds are similar.  While the Plasma Rifle in all its iterations still looks very much like its original Doom/Doom II counterpart, the Microwave Beam Plasma Rifle also resembles the Doom 64 Plasma Rifle because of that glowing cylindrical core.  I could go on, but how about I instead make a shortened list here for comparison, highlighting especially Doom 64 vibes, complete with pictures for comparison?

Spoiler

Plasma Rifle

Doom 64 - Has a blue energy core in the rear:

iu.png

DOOM Eternal - Has a blue energy core in the rear (with the Microwave Beam module):

iu.png

Chaingun

Doom 64 - Large, silvery, gaps in the individual barrels, purplish-blue muzzleflash:

iu.png

DOOM Eternal - Large, silvery, gaps in the individual barrels, blue muzzleflash:

800px-Doom_eternal_qc2019_chaingun_shiel

Rocket Launcher

Doom 64 - Fancy muzzle (and of course silver):

iu.png

DOOM Eternal - Fancy muzzle (and of course silver):

iu.png

Combat Shotgun
Doom 64 - Cylinder/attachment rails on the top and a somewhat blockier shape:

iu.png

DOOM Eternal - Cylinder/attachment rails on the top and a somewhat blockier shape:

iu.png

Super Shotgun

Doom 64 - Visible wood stock in first-person view, less streamlined exterior, bulkier build:

iu.png

DOOM Eternal - Visible wood stock in first-person view, less streamlined exterior, bulkier build:

iu.png

And how can we forget about Doom 64's hellish Unmaker making a return as DOOM Eternal's Maykr-tech Unmaykr?

Unmaker_Doom64_2.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

SPOILER_1581647392743.png?width=500&heig

TL;DR: I'd say the Doom 64 stuff is already here.  Considering how scalable and futureproof the idTech7 engine is, I'm pretty sure they're gonna be adding a hell of a lot of stuff to DOOM Eternal for many years to come.  I'd be surprised if they did another Doom game in the same vein as Doom 64, because it'd feel redundant with all the Doom 64 stuff here.  I also don't think it was by mere coincidence that DOOM Eternal preorders came packaged with the Doom 64 re-release.

3 hours ago, Avoozl said:

Uhh, Doom 3 never replaced the guns with the PDAs.

My post was a sarcastic joke, please don't take it literally ;p

... Unless you mean that it didn't replace the guns with the PDAs, it obsoleted them o.O So in doom 6 we'll listen to the demonic ramblings of our enemies on our PDA-9000 until it charges up the crucible so we can strike down the Martian Buddy ads.

I say that

Spoiler

It'll have Doomslayer hunting down the remaining demons in existence and The Nameless One (the current Dark Lord and the deep voice heard in 2016).

11 hours ago, DoomKrakken said:

Hearing the way Hugo and Marty gushed over Doom 64, even citing it to be a huge inspiration for much of DOOM Eternal, I'd say already that DOOM Eternal already got that Doom 64 vibe to it.

You gotta read between the lines and look at many of the graphical and audio aesthetics they used in the game.  If you look closely, the way the DOOM Eternal Combat Shotgun is built very much like the Doom 64 Combat Shotgun, and if you listen closely, their firing/pumping sounds are similar.  The DOOM Eternal Super Shotgun is chunky like the Doom 64 Super Shotgun, and if you listen closely, you'll notice that the firing sounds are similar.  While the Plasma Rifle in all its iterations still looks very much like its original Doom/Doom II counterpart, the Microwave Beam Plasma Rifle also resembles the Doom 64 Plasma Rifle because of that glowing cylindrical core.  I could go on, but how about I instead make a shortened list here for comparison, highlighting especially Doom 64 vibes, complete with pictures for comparison?

Hide contents

Plasma Rifle

Doom 64 - Has a blue energy core in the rear:

iu.png

DOOM Eternal - Has a blue energy core in the rear (with the Microwave Beam module):

iu.png

Chaingun

Doom 64 - Large, silvery, gaps in the individual barrels, purplish-blue muzzleflash:

iu.png

DOOM Eternal - Large, silvery, gaps in the individual barrels, blue muzzleflash:

800px-Doom_eternal_qc2019_chaingun_shiel

Rocket Launcher

Doom 64 - Fancy muzzle (and of course silver):

iu.png

DOOM Eternal - Fancy muzzle (and of course silver):

iu.png

Combat Shotgun
Doom 64 - Cylinder/attachment rails on the top and a somewhat blockier shape:

iu.png

DOOM Eternal - Cylinder/attachment rails on the top and a somewhat blockier shape:

iu.png

Super Shotgun

Doom 64 - Visible wood stock in first-person view, less streamlined exterior, bulkier build:

iu.png

DOOM Eternal - Visible wood stock in first-person view, less streamlined exterior, bulkier build:

iu.png

And how can we forget about Doom 64's hellish Unmaker making a return as DOOM Eternal's Maykr-tech Unmaykr?

Unmaker_Doom64_2.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

SPOILER_1581647392743.png?width=500&heig

TL;DR: I'd say the Doom 64 stuff is already here.  Considering how scalable and futureproof the idTech7 engine is, I'm pretty sure they're gonna be adding a hell of a lot of stuff to DOOM Eternal for many years to come.  I'd be surprised if they did another Doom game in the same vein as Doom 64, because it'd feel redundant with all the Doom 64 stuff here.  I also don't think it was by mere coincidence that DOOM Eternal preorders came packaged with the Doom 64 re-release.

When Bethesda finally got the "rights" to DOOM 64, they decided to release it alongside DOOM Eternal for fun, originally DOOM Eternal was set to release in November, way before they announced they would release DOOM 64. When they saw the opening, they decided to take it and just give people a gift for waiting so long for the release.

I'm pretty sure the next Id game will be related to Quake (Quake 5 maybe? A reboot?)

While I can't imagine they would ever continue Doom 3 or do anything with it. It's gonna be left alone, who knows for how long (since It's nOT a DOoM GaME ANyMoRE)

On 4/12/2020 at 10:59 AM, LiT_gam3r said:

When Bethesda finally got the "rights" to DOOM 64, they decided to release it alongside DOOM Eternal for fun, originally DOOM Eternal was set to release in November, way before they announced they would release DOOM 64. When they saw the opening, they decided to take it and just give people a gift for waiting so long for the release.

That doesn't dismiss the fact that the devs received major inspiration from Doom 64 when looking into the new designs for DOOM Eternal.

2 hours ago, Leninova said:

I'm pretty sure the next Id game will be related to Quake (Quake 5 maybe? A reboot?)

A legit singleplayer Quake reboot would be nice. :D

Going a bit offtopic here, but...

Spoiler

It'd also be cool if they made a bunch of games based off of some of the characters featured in Quake Champions.  Since many of them hail from their own games (such as Doomguy, B. J. Blazkowicz, and the Ranger), what if the rest of them came from their own games?  For example, I imagined a game involving Sorlag and Hunter that plays a bit more like Counter Strike.  You got two teams (a lizard clan such as the Sorgs and a human clan such as one led by Hunter), but both of them have different objectives to accomplish to win the game.  It'd be cool to explore the war between Nyx's and Scalebearer's peoples.  It'd be awesome if there were a game involving Eisen that's a bit like Sanctum, in that it's a first person shooter mixed with tower defense.  Maybe you can craft your own units to defend... or go on the offensive (instead of perpetually defending a point) and use that sentry and other builds, much like you would with Axton and his Sabre Turret in Borderlands 2.  What should be done about characters like Keel and Clutch, though?  What worlds would they hail from?  Maybe they could work in the same setting as Eisen... be seen there in that same game.  Anarki and Slash could participate in a death race, where participants not only shoot each other to death, but the object of the game is to actually speedrun a course to its end (basically, like DeFRag mixed with deathmatch).  Different player builds result in different mobility options (such as Anarki's air control or Slash's ability to not lose speed when crouching).

Holy Schmidt... that'd be badass... :O

All in all... it'd be nice if id Software used the characters beyond the scope of Quake Champions.

2 hours ago, Leninova said:

While I can't imagine they would ever continue Doom 3 or do anything with it. It's gonna be left alone, who knows for how long (since It's nOT a DOoM GaME ANyMoRE)

LOL!

Edited by DoomKrakken

Hoping for a Doom 6 right now feels like that time when Doom 3 was just released and people were already doing art like this one:
image.png.1264a674c3ae637111123b04b8331699.png

I always thought it was kinda dope, mostly because it looks very realistic for being a fanart made ~15 years ago

But it's just too soon for thinking about a Doom 6. There's a lot about Doom Eternal to play and talk about

😐

2 hours ago, DoomKrakken said:

That doesn't dismiss the fact that the devs received major inspiration from Doom 64 when looking into the new designs for DOOM Eternal.

No, but DOOM Eternal wasn't "Based" off of DOOM 64. The first game had a bunch of weapons and enemies from the original DOOM 2: Hell on Earth, that didn't mean the game took place during the events of DOOM 2 (although the original plan of the game was for it to be during DOOM 2). I'm sure they even added some DOOM 64 elements into DOOM 2016. 

2 minutes ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

But it's just too soon for thinking about a Doom 6. There's a lot about Doom Eternal to play and talk about

Yeah, but it's still fun to see what fans think will happen. Also, it's not like DOOM will be abandoned after its DLC, Bethesda, and ID are making a crap-load of cash from all these games, and people love cash! It will happen, and if not, somebody will make a new DOOM game and people will play that.

On 4/11/2020 at 3:11 PM, Katey Kat said:

i doubt there will be a DOOM 6 tbh. idk how they can top DOOM Eternal

I didn't think they could top DOOM 2016 and they knocked it out of the park. Just have to wait and see I guess. Isn't it great being the Consumer. Just sit and wait and then enjoy final result of someone else's hard work. :o)

On 4/15/2020 at 5:45 PM, LiT_gam3r said:

No, but DOOM Eternal wasn't "Based" off of DOOM 64.

Nobody said it was based off of Doom 64.  Just like how neither DOOM (2016) nor DOOM Eternal are based off of The Ultimate Doom or Doom II.  They're not reduxes, they're more games that are a part of Doom's lineage, which take plenty of inspiration from the original games.  All I said that many of the designs they used in DOOM Eternal were very much inspired by Doom 64, such as for the Combat and Super Shotguns, the Chaingun, the Rocket Launcher, the Microwave Beam Plasma Rifle, and especially the Unmaykr.  Despite being so desaturated, Doom 64 had a lot more color diversity than Doom/Doom II, which inspired the multitude of colors we see throughout DOOM Eternal.

On 4/15/2020 at 6:21 PM, Hunting4r2d2 said:

They're gonna pull a Smash Ultimate and bring back every gun and demon that has ever been in a Doom game, including the RPGs.

Bruh, that's called MetaDoom! :P

53 minutes ago, DoomKrakken said:

like how neither DOOM (2016) nor DOOM Eternal are based off of The Ultimate Doom or Doom II. 

They both follow similar stories, though. Also, I would say DOOM (2016) is based off of DOOM (1993) not The Ultimate DOOM. They are definitely based off of their originals, just some aspects are changed. It's still a hell invasion, it's still rip n' tear!

On 4/15/2020 at 7:40 PM, SirJuicyLemon said:

image.png.1264a674c3ae637111123b04b8331699.png

What is that supposed to be, because it's friggin' awesome!

13 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

They both follow similar stories, though. Also, I would say DOOM (2016) is based off of DOOM (1993) not The Ultimate DOOM. They are definitely based off of their originals, just some aspects are changed. It's still a hell invasion, it's still rip n' tear!

Yes they follow similar stories, and have similar characters.  But DOOM (2016) and DOOM Eternal are continuities of the same storyline, and therefore aren't reboots or reduxes.  There's very little left to tie it to the originals, but it's still Doom all the same.

9 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

It looks like a Strogg.

Stroggification :D
But yeah it reminds me on Quake more than Doom.

On 4/11/2020 at 3:09 PM, LiT_gam3r said:

Since DOOM 2016 and DOOM Eternal are sort of remakes of DOOM and DOOM 2: Hell on Earth

I wouldn't call them remakes of the original 2, Doom 2016 was a new story in the same universe while Doom Eternal is a love letter to the original games

They play more like Quake.  And I gotta say, the mobility in Quake is a damn good improvement.  An upgrade to Doom's as it adds all the 3D platforms and mobility.  Combat's a lot more involved and fast-paced.  They took the best aspects of their games and put it all together. :D

I hate to burst you guys' bubbles regarding the theory about Doom 64's release alongside Eternal but, the game was originally meant to come out in July '19 with the other Doom ports. It wasn't ready however, largely due to Bethesda.net integration requirements, so it was rescheduled to November along with Eternal's original release date. When Eternal itself slipped, Doom 64 was kept with it.

Fair enough.  If anything, I figured it only added to it.  That being said, it still doesn't discount the fact that DOOM Eternal is just bleeding with all sorts of Doom 64 stuff.

On 4/11/2020 at 8:09 PM, LiT_gam3r said:

Since DOOM 2016 and DOOM Eternal are sort of remakes of DOOM and DOOM 2: Hell on Earth, then how will DOOM 6 work? People speculate that DOOM 64 will be remade, but how will that work?

Doom 64 was just another take on the initial Doom story: starting in a space base and then travelling to hell. So it's not like the third part of a trilogy or something, just another Doom installment with scifi and hell environments.

Waaaaaay too early to speculate. I like the fact they take their time making them. The last thing this series wants is a Call of Doom problem.

4 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

Doom 64 was just another take on the initial Doom story: starting in a space base and then travelling to hell. So it's not like the third part of a trilogy or something, just another Doom installment with scifi and hell environments.

That is not the story at all. After the events of DOOM 2, you get a call that a hell rift is open and you have to close it, then you decide to stay in hell which has to do with the new DOOM story-line.

4 hours ago, Eurisko said:

I like the fact they take their time making them. 

they don't take their time. all Rockstar games take years to develop and Duke Nukem Forever (Greatest videogame of all time!) took like 14 years! The time between DOOM 2016 and DOOM Eternal was 4 years.

I'm withholding judgement until all the single player DLC stuff is played out.