Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

How will DOOM 6 work?

They could make one about Doom guy ending up on the Sentinel homeworld and becoming the Slayer. 

Or expand on their lore and put it somewhere else in the Doomaverse. 

I just wish for 3D version of original Doom, with modern graphics e t.c. stuff and hundreds deaths by BFG and rocket shots on one map! Something like that. Don't wanna (not too) "smart" game mechanics and mobs with tons of HP, just rip n' tear to the max!

5 minutes ago, qdash said:

I just wish for 3D version of original Doom, with modern graphics e t.c. stuff and hundreds deaths by BFG and rocket shots on one map! Something like that. Don't wanna (not too) "smart" game mechanics and mobs with tons of HP, just rip n' tear to the max!

Sounds a lot like Serious Sam.

On 5/27/2020 at 5:43 AM, qdash said:

I get a  little confused when I hear complaints about mobs with tons of HP. Original Doom/ Doom 2 had lots of those too...

Whatever the next Doom game is, I won't be getting it. By the time it comes out, I'll probably be 50 and I vowed not to get any new games at that age and after.

On 5/27/2020 at 6:43 AM, qdash said:

have people made actual remakes/remasters for the original doom? I would be surprised if someone hasn't. it would probably take a while, but it would still be interesting to see a fully 3D imp (the original one, not the Doom 3/2016/Eternal) a hell knight would be interesting, too. Actually, everything would be awesome. not even changing any AI code or any code, just the environments. I know that I am the only person on Earth who doesn't enjoy PC controls for games, so like if Bethesda made an official remake, that would be awesome, because the Bethesda console port didn't change too much to the original game (really nothing except frame-rate).

I'm just saying whatever, and I'll stop. but any fully 3D remaster of DOOM would be sick (even Wolfenstein and Duke Nukem 3D, but let's just stick to DooM for right now).

3 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

Whatever the next Doom game is, I won't be getting it. By the time it comes out, I'll probably be 50 and I vowed not to get any new games at that age and after.

You make Skyrim grandmom cry! :P

Seriously though, what's wrong with gaming past 50?

11 minutes ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

You make Skyrim grandmom cry! :P

Seriously though, what's wrong with gaming past 50?

I said no NEW games, especially not ones as intense as Doom Eternal. I didn't say no to older games or even playing old games I haven't seen before.

2 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

have people made actual remakes/remasters for the original doom? I would be surprised if someone hasn't. it would probably take a while, but it would still be interesting to see a fully 3D imp (the original one, not the Doom 3/2016/Eternal) a hell knight would be interesting, too. Actually, everything would be awesome. not even changing any AI code or any code, just the environments. I know that I am the only person on Earth who doesn't enjoy PC controls for games, so like if Bethesda made an official remake, that would be awesome, because the Bethesda console port didn't change too much to the original game (really nothing except frame-rate).

I'm just saying whatever, and I'll stop. but any fully 3D remaster of DOOM would be sick (even Wolfenstein and Duke Nukem 3D, but let's just stick to DooM for right now).

I haven't tried it personally, but there are 3D model mods for Classic Doom:

There's also a Knee Deep in the Dead remake as a Doom 3 mod:

There's probably some more examples out there.

@AtimZarr1 I mean like a full 3D remake (even walls and stuff) and the DOOM 3 one is sort of like it, but those are in game enemies, and the lighting and guns are different. It would be cool as like a mix between the two.

We've had a lot of fanremakes of Doom, going from levels to sprites, weapons, enemies, Doomguy's face, textures, music etc.

A lot of them don't end up very good and there's always some reasons behind it, which is a shame because i know people would like it if it ever gets right.

Another problem can be "modernizing" levels because some areas could work by being more like actual places with more unique looks and context, but others benefit from the old school Doom abstract level appeal.

Tech stuff like enemy placement/count/hitbox etc could be another reason too.

I feel like we're not ready for what could be an official follow up to Classic Doom and that's a reason for the fanbase to produce so much content over the years.

does anybody think they'll ever allow a type of modding. Because Eternal does not have it, and DOOMhad snapmap, so it would be cool if they had a map editor, right? I don't know. Post your thoughts about it. 

I think SnapMap 2.0 is probably the best we can hope for, unless id Software decide to design the next Doom game in a way that takes design cues from games like Minecraft or perhaps Kerbal Space Program, both games of which appear to have been designed from the start with modding in mind.

I was wondering how they could do level selection in a new Doom game.

Eternal already did a HUB, even though i wonder about if the levels could have been actually selected by travelling through the HUB like Super Mario 64 style. (imagine if the paintings that had album cover art where you select music were the gateways for the levels instead)

Maybe something like Super Mario Bros 3/World (or rather MiniDoom 2) where there's a map with buildings and locations representing the levels... and maybe some small Doomguy walking around the map.

Doom Eternal X-TREME - just a re-release of Doom Eternal, but with the levels replaced with about 5,000 hideous, unbalanced maps that all look like they were made in 1994.

I can't expect there being a new Doom6 version of Doom anytime soon. 

An update to Doom Eternal with a snap map like editor would be really nice though, but this time make it so the Doom Eternal engine and editor alike also supports WAD format! ;)

If anything, I would suspect a Quake5 ~ taking place in the Quake1 realm of environment, and where its multiplayer would work much like Quake Champions, but of course you would still have a campaign to play. 

~ to add to this, if anyone remembers Quake Wars? I think they had a good idea at the time, but at that time the engine (id tech4) wasn't really suited for it. However today's Doom Eternal based engine could totally do it, imo.

Sorry if I slightly derailed.. :\

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Thinking about an enemy concept:

Imagine if there was a Cyber Archvile.

Besides the PE, the Archie is one of those enemies you hardly imagine a cyber variant of.

But with his design, it could be an excuse to bring back his mouth tubes and make them more pronounced in the design. (also, tie them to glory kills lol)

He could be able to "heal" enemies by turning them into cybernetic versions. (some could gain outright new attacks/abilities that replace their original attacks, others are just basic stuff like resisting some weapons or numbers like speed/damage/health/etc)

And maybe with cybernetic demons, they become more tech heavy. (stuff like Cybermancs and mecha zombies are obvious but imagine that one Plasma Powered skin Revenant and the cut red D64 Cybie)

(you can also reference the D3 Pinky and the 3 lost soul in a way)

They could also do other stuff in terms of defense/support like wall shields made of metal or drop mines.

They could also somewhat restore stuff like the Arachno's turret and Mancubi's cannons.

And a "healer" enemy would do the opposite by restoring their limbs. (if anyone still remembers the shit i thought for the Harvester from 2016 MP)

So the Cyberdemon/Tyrant becomes the Harbinger of Doom, Revenants become generic skeletons, Mancubi become ogres, Arachnotrons have literal spider legs and i guess the Doom Hunter's body could vary from generic minotaur, centaur body or 4 arms like DRPG's Kronos.

And as usual, new/changed movesets.

Also, hope some day id considers re-hiring Gregor Punchatz and Kenneth Scott.

Edited by whatup876

I think they should leave it be for the moment. Like others have said, how are you going to top Eternal?

We have Doom 16, Eternal, and Ancient Gods 1/2

I think most likely they will follow the original's pattern and move on to Quake next. I wonder how they would refine the modern Doom formula and apply it to Quake though. I think the two most defining aspects of the Quake singleplayer, apart from the iconic weapons, enemies and then-novel engine, is the abstract, non-linear level design pushed to new limits thanks to real 3D and the creepy, gothic atmosphere from the architecture and Trent Reznor tracks.

They can definitely bring back the classic Nail gun, Lightning gun, etc. and find ways to revamp those; they have already sort of succeeded in mimicking the Quake 1 setting in Quake Champions. However, how would you translate the abstract level design into a game loop that relies on linear succession of combat arenas?

I could ask the same question of Doom, and before Eternal I would not have thought such a formula would be appropriate or even work at all. So we'll see. No doubt with the same passion and energy they brought to Doom, Hugo Martin (if he leads again) & co. could do something marvelous to revive Quake in a big way.

Before any of that though, I feel they owe it to the community to add in a proper Deathmatch in addition to Battlemode. Now, I got to say, I really didn't give Battlemode enough credit at first.  I thought it was just terrible and completely unbalanced because I'd get wrecked every match with no chance of holding my own on either side. After sticking with it for a bit (and beating the main campaign on UV so that I mastered the end-game weapon loop) I found Battlemode to generally be actually rather well-balanced and a lot of fun. Playing as the Slayer is a lot more terrifying but also a lot more fun and rewarding, and even playing as the Demons is fun. It's still got issues, such as the Mancubus imo being a big, slow, fat target (all others seem better) but it's actually a good multiplayer mode, if you wait it out. Nevertheless, it's still kind of sacrilege that Doom of all games who invented arena deathmatch doesn't have any kind of it. So I really hope they add that in an update.

I also really hope they give us some kind of custom Master Level editor, where we can at the very least change health/armor/ammo/enemy positions on the pre-existing base game and DLC levels. Or maybe some kind of mod that lets us do that.

10 hours ago, whatup876 said:

Thinking about an enemy concept:

Imagine if there was a Cyber Archvile.

Besides the PE, the Archie is one of those enemies you hardly imagine a cyber variant of.

But with his design, it could be an excuse to bring back his mouth tubes and make them more pronounced in the design. (also, tie them to glory kills lol)

He could be able to "heal" enemies by turning them into cybernetic versions. (some could gain outright new attacks/abilities that replace their original attacks, others are just basic stuff like resisting some weapons or numbers like speed/damage/health/etc)

And maybe with cybernetic demons, they become more tech heavy. (stuff like Cybermancs and mecha zombies are obvious but imagine that one Plasma Powered skin Revenant and the cut red D64 Cybie)

(you can also reference the D3 Pinky and the 3 lost soul in a way)

They could also do other stuff in terms of defense/support like wall shields made of metal or drop mines.

They could also somewhat restore stuff like the Arachno's turret and Mancubi's cannons.

And a "healer" enemy would do the opposite by restoring their limbs. (if anyone still remembers the shit i thought for the Harvester from 2016 MP)

So the Cyberdemon/Tyrant becomes the Harbinger of Doom, Revenants become generic skeletons, Mancubi become ogres, Arachnotrons have literal spider legs and i guess the Doom Hunter's body could vary from generic minotaur, centaur body or 4 arms like DRPG's Kronos.

And as usual, new/changed movesets.

Sounds cool but that require reworking every enemy in the game to make a new Cyber variant? New models, new attacks, etc. Sounds like too much work for a free update.

On 7/25/2020 at 7:02 AM, Mr.Rocket said:

I can't expect there being a new Doom6 version of Doom anytime soon. 

An update to Doom Eternal with a snap map like editor would be really nice though, but this time make it so the Doom Eternal engine and editor alike also supports WAD format! ;)

If anything, I would suspect a Quake5 ~ taking place in the Quake1 realm of environment, and where its multiplayer would work much like Quake Champions, but of course you would still have a campaign to play. 

~ to add to this, if anyone remembers Quake Wars? I think they had a good idea at the time, but at that time the engine (id tech4) wasn't really suited for it. However today's Doom Eternal based engine could totally do it, imo.

Sorry if I slightly derailed.. :\

Oh yeah I remember hearing about that! Would be a cool idea. I don't know how true the engine thing is though. Didn't that game rely on megatextures? Or was that the idTech after that...

The latest id engine seems well-optimized for higher fidelity/performance in (relatively) smaller levels. I don't know if it could handle a huge, Battlefield-style map, but I'm just speculating based on what I've seen, I have no idea.

Maybe Eternal, the DLC or even 2016 are just again a Trickery of the Icon of Sin, the Mother Demon or even the Devil itself.

Most of my ideas are done in a "vague" Doom concept, like an expansion or potential new game, so obviously it may not fit here in Eternal.

Maybe a spin off with either a different gameplay style or art style.

When they make a new Quake, they definitely need to capitalize on that gritty/horror aspect, even if there's more people already acceptable of the current Doom art style and don't mind if specific wall textures or designs aren't brought back right now. (maybe that makes the distinction easier)

I'm also surprised we haven't seen a cel-shaded Doom, since that could even balance the "cartoonyness" by having some gritty/less silly designs but still applying them a certain color palette and outlines.

Like that kind of fanart that tries to make something like the classic Imp look creepy or more realistic but still slap on some comic book art style or something to make it seem drawn.

44 minutes ago, Azuris said:

Maybe Eternal, the DLC or even 2016 are just again a Trickery of the Icon of Sin, the Mother Demon or even the Devil itself.

Knowing the comic book influence/comparisons, i feel like an alternate version of the universe/lore that just does things differently could work, whether to expand on that experimental aspect/potential Doom has or just to reconsider some ideas.

Okay, I’m going to channel my inner Hugo.

DOOM 6 will be released as a duology that explores the past and sets up future events.

In the first game, a now de-powered Slayer wakes up in an alternate universe on a planet not unlike Earth.  The human-like beings are conducting the same kinds of experiments which lead to disaster in the Slayer’s previous two lives.  The inevitable happens and Hell invades.  The Slayer does what he can, but the people of this new world are doomed.  Eventually, the Slayer is forced to activate a weapon which wipes out all life on the planet, including himself.  The gateway to Hell has been closed, but the game ends on a dark note as the camera zooms out to reveal the now ruined planet is Mars, and we’re in the DOOM 3 universe.

The second game takes place in yet another universe with a protagonist not unlike the DOOM Slayer.  Events mirroring past games play out and Hell invades.  Unlike past games however, the invasion succeeds and the Slayer’s doppelgänger is killed.  This is where the game’s story really begins.  The doppelgänger, or the Slain, is revived in Hell and charged with a mission: He must stop others like him in order to protect his soul and the souls of his loved ones.  This leads to a campaign that spans space, time, and multiple universes, eventually culminating into the events of the Ancient Gods.  

We learn that the Slain is fated to die but also that his past self will ultimately kill the future Slayer.  One of the Slain’s missions is to retrieve the heart from the Icon of Sin in Eternal and bring it to Mars in the DOOM 3 universe.  The Icon of Sin is what kills off the Martians and forces the Slayer to sacrifice himself.  This is also where the Artifact from Resurrection of Evil comes into play.  It’s literally the heart of the Icon of Sin.

We also learn that the Slain is an unreliable narrator.  He is not a Dark Lord but he serves one.  What we know about Urdak and the Makyrs may also be untrue.  There are also glimpses that the Slain may be attempting to undermine Hell’s effort to conquer all of reality.  Maybe that’s why he’s fated to die.  Maybe that’ll play a role when DOOM 7 comes out and features characters from the DOOM 3 universe.

I thought of what Quasar said about how TAG2 doesn't feel like it sums up Doomguy's journey or how it doesn't really throw references to prior events.

It reminds me of how a lot of finales in franchises or certain entry chapters have that "looking back" thing with various callbacks/flashbacks or a sense of build up from previous installments.

Like, at least the MCU had years of movies introducing a bunch of characters before throwing them in the final battle.

And MGS4 is notorious for its call backs to previous games it becomes so heavy with it, even if it wasn't the final MGS game. (rather, the end of Solid Snake's journey at least)

Even an obscure example like Gravity Rush 2 had a finale that felt like "the ultimate moment".

Immora feels like it could have been another mission as usual.

We had a red high tech city that does not really sell on Hell's evil nature and a boss fight that did not sell on the "mirror/copy cat" aspect people expected.

I think the problem with the Sentinels is that they're still a noticeably recent addition and most of their info is more present in lore texts, while a character Valen doesn't have that much screen time.

I always thought an endgame level idea for Doom would be a mash up of different themes at once, as if Hell is corrupting reality, so you have an abstract level showing off different portions of world for the sake of chaos.

It can start off with Sentinel Prime, Urdak, modern Hell/UAC, then suddenly show off different bits from previous games that tries to mimic their art styles, so it feels like a genuine callback.

Same probably for the music, if you made a remix referencing various songs or something.

Or even having a few enemies return with different skins and attacks.

This sounds like MetaDoom all over again, but when people imagine "the ultimate moment" of a series, they think of it like a birthday when you're reminiscing memories or looking at a book with old photos.

Or even a near death experience where you think of everything before this moment.

Maybe it would have been too much fanservice or even met with a realization of "we're never gonna please the guy upset we didn't remaster some ugly old texture anyway" but more likely making all of this in 2 expansions during a one year pass release.

It felt like half lack of build up and half lacking true "look backs" for a final moment.

Like, some concepts are things you'd see in other series but it feels like they didn't build up more upon.

And it not feeling like an actual summary of the franchise reminds me of how most of the lore is 2016/Eternal focused so most people don't even look up the classic games' manuals and just acknowledge Daisy and 64's ending.

@whatup876

Honestly, Eternal ignores most of 2016’s lore too.  Like @Quasar said, it feels like Hugo doubled-down on whatever he thought was cool regardless of what was already established.  I’ll take it a step further and say Hugo also responded the same way to any criticisms levied at the game.  In a way, it’s good that Eternal had a game director with such a singular vision.  Hugo’s drive is probably what pulled DOOM 4 out of the development hell it was in, and DOOM Eternal just built off of that.  The downside is that giving one person so much creative control can lead to some really polarizing results, which is exactly what happened with Eternal and The Ancient Gods.

I suspect the DLC was already underway or at least in pre-production by the time of Eternal’s release.  The nature of game development during a pandemic probably limited their ability to re-write and re-record the dialogue.  Still, I feel like id could have done more with less.  Hell, I would have been okay if TAG ended with Davoth fleeing and the Night Sentinels claiming Immora.  That would at least give a potential sequel more wiggle room and also prove that DOOM is, you know, eternal.

As it stands now, I really don’t see how Eternal’s narrative can continue without shifting focus to another character or acknowledging that there’s a multi-verse and begin interweaving DOOM 3’s lore and possibly the mobile games’.  I also really, really hope Davoth is discredited so we can get away from the “I planned this all along.” retcons.

On 4/11/2020 at 9:09 PM, Chip said:

Since DOOM 2016 and DOOM Eternal are sort of remakes of DOOM and DOOM 2: Hell on Earth, then how will DOOM 6 work? People speculate that DOOM 64 will be remade, but how will that work? If that is true, then what would be some new enemies, because the Nightmare imp and Mother Demon are not enough. And, yes of course Bethesda and ID are great at coming up with new enemy types, but people want old enemies to make an appearance. They could release the unmade Hellhound, but wouldn't they need more? what old enemies can they add? I don't think they will use the DOOM 3 storyline since that was pretty well detailed and also, I think it's a prequel. But yeah, name some enemies you think could make an appearance in DOOM 6(4)? 

Especially the revenant in doom 64 form

1 hour ago, KainXavier said:

...I’ll take it a step further and say Hugo also responded the same way to any criticisms levied at the game.

And I fully support him doing so. If he took popular criticisms into account the game probably wouldn't have jumping or vertical mouselook in it XD.