Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gunrock

Stop a script from executing once all conditions are met?

I have a door (non repeatable) script that prints the following message:

script 7 (void)
{
 ambientsound("amb9",127);
 hudmessage(s:"This object requires a sacrifice to open."; HUDMSG_FADEOUT, 1, CR_gray, 0.5, 0.5, 4.0,
 1.0 // Time to fade to nothingness.
);
}

This script opens that door and prints a message:

script 8 (void)
{
 hudmessage(s:"Sacrifice accepted. Your pathway has now opened."; HUDMSG_FADEOUT, 1, CR_gray, 0.5, 0.5, 4.0,
);

Door_Open(20,32);
}

The problem is script 7 can still print the message even though the door is already opened. How can I cancel out script 7 when all conditions are met?

Thanks guys as always!!

script 7 (void)
{
	hudmessage(s:"This object requires a sacrifice to open."; HUDMSG_FADEOUT, 1, CR_gray, 0.5, 0.5, 4.0,
	);
}

script 8 (void)
{
	hudmessage(s:"Sacrifice accepted. Your pathway has now opened."; HUDMSG_FADEOUT, 1, CR_gray, 0.5, 0.5, 4.0,
	);
	Door_Open(20,32);
}

There are several different possibilities here. Perhaps the simplest would be with a variable.

bool doorOpened = false;

script 7 (void)
{
	if (doorOpened)
		terminate;
	);
}

script 8 (void)
{
	doorOpened = true;
	);
	Door_Open(20,32);
}

But IMO the most elegant is to clear script 7 out of the lines that trigger it. But this require said lines to have a line ID. If your map format is UDMF, that's simple enough, with Hexen format it's more complex, you have to use special 121:Line_SetIdentification on them (instead of the ACS_Execute special that they currently have), and then have an OPEN script to attach ACS_Execute to them. But anyway, assuming your script-7-running lines have line ID 1337, then your scripts will look like this:

script 7 (void)
{
	);
}

script 8 (void)
{
	SetLineSpecial(1337, 0)
	);
	Door_Open(20,32);
}

And there you go, the lines are made entirely inert when the door is opened.

Thanks as always Gez. It finally fixed the issue I was having throughout most of my mods in the past too. I was looking through the zdoom wiki and couldn't fully figure out about using "bool doorOpened = false;"

I guess after all these years of mapping I still have much to learn ;)