Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Strife Commando

Should I Get Doom 3?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, hybridial said:

*Roasting Bioshock Infinite*

 

To be honest, I didn't mind the story of Bioshock Infinite much when I played it, despite the plot holes (but then again, I don't go too deep into storylines). I even liked Columbia more than Rapture. However what I didn't like about Bioshock Infinite was the dumbed down gameplay mechanics (less upgrades, no lockpicking etc.) and the "Unholy 2-weapon limit" + regenerating hitpoints. Bioshock Infinite is not a great game but certainly not "the worst game" either.

 

Tho I am kinda glad that you didn't say Half Life 2 is the worst game ever made :3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

 

Why?

 

Why would they do that?? It's like they didn't understand the game or something!

 

I've seen videos of how BFG sucks in comparison with Vanilla, and some of the laziness shown by Bethesda is utterly shocking, like the physics engine is broken, and bodies no longer pile up, but go THROUGH each other! And that's just one example!

 

Probably performance. Probably no biggie for the PC, but they had BFG for consoles too.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, PaulRazvan95 said:

Probably performance. Probably no biggie for the PC, but they had BFG for consoles too.

 

God, I can't stand that. Why PC games should be downgraded to be consistent with inferior console versions is beyond me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

 

God, I can't stand that. Why PC games should be downgraded to be consistent with inferior console versions is beyond me.

 

And beyond the budget for many studios to maintain totally indifferent versions of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

 

God, I can't stand that. Why PC games should be downgraded to be consistent with inferior console versions is beyond me.

 

Don't start with that. It's not the console's fault for gosh sakes.

 

It's said that you don't play as a Big Daddy in Infinite, which is dissapointing.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

I suppose I've always been dazzled by flashy John Carmack 3D engines. It happened about four years before with id Tech 3 and Quake 3 Arena, which I thought looked absolutely stunning then, being this much-touted "Trinity" engine that was going to blow absolutely everything else away from when Quake first came out, and was almost legendarily anticipated (at least by me) and Q3A did NOT disappoint me nor most others, becoming id's most successful engine at that time with dozens of titles using it.

I have to admit never having heard that name in that capacity before (Trinity Engine)

 

I thought ''Trinity'' besides being one of the protags in Matrix (Didn't Carmack had a Matrix spiel going on at the time) was the name of one of the last Quake 3 titles: Trinity: The Shatter Effect. Never got released, but it pushed the engine to its limits and was to be released in 2004 for PC and Xbox, same time as when Doom 3 actually was released. More info:

 

I guess whatever Trinity, The engine platform was turned into that.

Share this post


Link to post

It's a shame I can't comment on BFG edition because I never bought it. But butchering it like that is no excuse. And it's quite a trap for anyone looking for Doom 3, especially on GOG, where it's the only edition available!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

I have to admit never having heard that name in that capacity before (Trinity Engine)

 

I thought ''Trinity'' besides being one of the protags in Matrix (Didn't Carmack had a Matrix spiel going on at the time) was the name of one of the last Quake 3 titles: Trinity: The Shatter Effect. Never got released, but it pushed the engine to its limits and was to be released in 2004 for PC and Xbox, same time as when Doom 3 actually was released.

 

I guess whatever Trinity, The engine platform was turned into that.

 

After Doom and Quake, I remember Trinity as being the third major engine that John Carmack was going to release (he said so himself) before the change to Quake 3 Arena. Heck, I even mentioned it in the text files for the maps I made for Quake 2!

 

Here's my text file for Death Cross 2 for Quake 2:

 

================================================================
Title                   : Death Cross 2 v1.0
Filename                : DeathCross2.bsp
Author                  : Aaron M. Fisher
E-mail Address          : amfisher@hotmail.com
Created			: February 1998

Description             : Quake 2 BSP

                          A large area elevated above a pool
                          of lava with four tunnels, lifts, a
                          central cross on a pillar as well as
                          excellent sniping and hiding places.
                          All weapons included. Have fun!

Additional Credits to   : id Software, of course, for creating
                          the best single-player and deathmatch
                          game ever (until Trinity comes out!)
================================================================

* Play Information *

Game                    : Quake 2
Single Player           : Yes (Recon only)
Cooperative 2-4 Player  : No
Deathmatch 2-5 Player   : Yes
Deathmatch 6+ Player    : Yes (Fragfest!)
Difficulty Settings     : No (Equivalent to Normal)
New Sounds              : No
New Graphics            : No
Demos Replaced          : None

* Construction *

Base                    : New level from scratch
Editor(s) used          : WinQoole v2.30 by Lithium Software
Known Bugs              : None

* Copyright / Permissions *

Authors may NOT use this level as a base to build additional
levels.

You MAY distribute this level, provided you include this file
with no modifications, and give me credit. You may distribute
this level in any electronic format (BBS, Diskette, CD, etc) as
long as you include this text file intact.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2020 at 6:49 PM, holaareola said:

edit: by the way, I'm curious, what example would you give as a great videogame story?

 

Silent Hill 2 is probably for me the single most impressive example I've played. 

 

I wasn't as big on Silent Hill 1 and 3 but there's something there, Shattered Memories was great 

 

System Shock 2 was pretty great, ending was a little weak but not a big deal.

 

Shadowrun Hong Kong and Dragonfall are excellent. So was Fallout. I've heard good things about Planescape Torment but I haven't played it yet.

 

Some adventure games: Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, Broken Sword, Primordia, Unavowed, Lost Horizon, Resonance, Grim Fandango

 

The Legacy of Kain series was mostly really impressive.

 

Some JRPGs, Shin Megami Tensei Nocture and the Digital Devil Saga games, Suikoden II, Suikoden V.

 

Edited by hybridial

Share this post


Link to post

Yes. Just keep in mind that it leans towards more of the horror aspect of the doom series so dont be suprised if all the other doom games are more fast paced and bright.

Share this post


Link to post

The things I like about Doom 3:

 

- Horror theme unsurpassed for its date.
- Solid graphics that were next-gen in their time and years later are still decent.
- Incredible lighting.
- Fantastic/brutal monster design.
- Good sound design (When the invasion starts is just cool.)
- One of the best levels of Hell there is.
- Interesting level design.
- One of the most violent aesthetics in any game.
- Two quick and entertaining expansions.
- Not as fast as Doom, but pretty fast if you know where to go.
- Challenging.
- It's a Doom game.

Share this post


Link to post

I wouldn't call Doom 3's level design "interesting" - it does give a feeling of plausability and realness, though. That's in regards to Mars base, Hell looks like a pop-culture depiction.

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, biozeminadae1 said:

That's in regards to Mars base, Hell looks like a pop-culture depiction.

 

You mean Hell in Doom 2016? Because Hell in Doom 3 has a pretty unique style with surreal, organic and gothic elements.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

 

You mean Hell in Doom 2016? Because Hell in Doom 3 has a pretty unique style with surreal, organic and gothic elements.

Isn't Hell with gothic architecture a mainstream version of Hell?

Not to say I don't like how it looks, but...

In Ressurection of evil, you even ride a boat, that's probably supposed to be a reference to Charon's boat who guides the lost souls into Hades in Hellenic mythology. That's kind of pop-culture-y in my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, biozeminadae1 said:

Isn't Hell with gothic architecture a mainstream version of Hell?

Not to say I don't like how it looks, but...

In Ressurection of evil, you even ride a boat, that's probably supposed to be a reference to Charon's boat who guides the lost souls into Hades in Hellenic mythology. That's kind of pop-culture-y in my mind.

I don't see how Greek mythology is pop culture at this point. If you asked someone who Charon was, they would probably say "Oh, that bitch who can't shut the hell up?".

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Jello said:

I don't see how Greek mythology is pop culture at this point. If you asked someone who Charon was, they would probably say "Oh, that bitch who can't shut the hell up?".

Are you saying people are so stupid now they can't follow obvious references?

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/6/2020 at 6:35 AM, biozeminadae1 said:

Isn't Hell with gothic architecture a mainstream version of Hell?

 

Yes, kind of. The pop culture version of hell is some sort of medieval gothic dungeon with lots of lava and fire. Like in Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.

 

But Doom 3's hell isn't that kind of gothic. It's a unique blend of alie/organic, gothic and surreal elements.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Tetzlaff said:

 

Yes, kind of. The pop culture version of hell is some sort of medieval gothic dungeon with lots of lava and fire. Like in Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.

 

But Doom 3's hell isn't that kind of gothic. It's a unique blend of alie/organic, gothic and surreal elements.

Okay, I haven't replayed the game in a while, but I guess that could be true.

Share this post


Link to post

[This seems to be the most related thread]

So I bought the Doom 3 2019 re-release on BNet, launched it and good lord, the main menu theme is absolutely deep-fried. Was the sound quality this bad in BFG Edition?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×