Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FrancisT218

Who, or what wad(s) or level(s), inspired (or inspires) you the most?

3 minutes ago, FrancisT18 said:

And @19Wraith yes, it's fine to say a specific level or wad inspired you (as opposed to all of an author's works).

Cool so here i go.

Dark Star - Mikael Krause. https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/darkstar

This map influenced me greatly doing my map High Tension, mainly  because it had wonderful visuals and big areas so i wanted to do the same  https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/hightens

Metamorphism by Brad Spencer and Karthik Abhiram

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/m-o/meta

This is perhaps on of the BEST maps i've ever played. Mainly because the creepy/dark ambience and the music the autors put there was so well chosen that not any other level came close imo. I loved so much that my map Metastasis is kind of ''tribute'' 

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/m-o/metastas

Internal Reaches 2 By Samuel Villareal. https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/j-l/kaiser_1

Not the best kaiser map, but still a great wad. Very nice structure, everything is done masterfully. I also like the kind of ''gothic/decadent'' feeling it has and influenced me doing my map the black lands. However mine is not near as good as kaiser but still i tried haha https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/tbl

1. John Romero. E1M7 Computer station is everything I like about Doom. Sigil proves he's still got it. 

2. @Viggles

This guy is a fucking genius. I'm in awe when i play his maps. Takes detailing to whole new level. Takes everything to a whole new level. Everything is so good to look at and he usually only uses stock DoomII textures, which i like. No bling or fancy gimmicks, just pure design skill. Check out Brigandine or Breach.

3. @Agent Spork

Has a beautiful, unique style. Just detailed enough to be interesting but not overwhelming. It's difficult to make simple maps that are fun, interesting and engaging. 

4. @Dragonfly

Highly skilled at various aspects of level creation - design, pacing, placement, lighting, concepts, he excels at them all IMO. I've seen him build some impressive stuff in a few hours on a live stream. Stuff like that would take me months LOL. Eviternity's map 1 Inauguration and map 16 Neutralise are some of the best Doom maps I've ever played. 

5. @Bridgeburner56

An architectural wizard. Makes stunning, memorable buildings, landscapes and vistas and has the lighting skills to match. He has a recognisable style. And holy shit can he map fast! He hardly makes any mistakes. Watching his mapping streams is like mapping school. 

6. @joshthenesnerd

Josh made a Doom 1 Episode 1 style 8-map wad called In the thick of it all, and he absolutely nailed the entire Doom vibe in terms of design, lighting, placement, everything! Although its lacking some detailing here and there (by today's standards), everything else was so spot-on that it felt like it could have been a hidden episode of Final Doom. Hard to explain, but he just got the atmosphere right. I was really impressed and  totally enjoyed playing his work. It inspired me and reminded me of the first time i played Doom.

21 minutes ago, FrancisT18 said:

DMP2016

There were not so many of my maps released, since only... seven or eight of them were actually finished, I think? 

Anyway, what I had to do were DMP'15 to '17 maps (one for each, in where '15 one was most complex one from any of mine used for this annual project), three maps for Freedoom that were cut from it later (I believe, and there was a legit reason for it), one map for TNT: Devilution that got rejected (cuz my fault, I haven't knew most of moments about how much Vanilla can handle at all), NOVA III map (Khmeer Agul Tan... which is garbage even by my rate), and one separate release, "Distress Call" map that originally planned to be part of Freedoom phase 2 but that idea got scrapped after whole thing felt vanilla fart in its face once again. You may find last one by searching for "dcall.wad" on /idgames.

EDIT: oh and I forgot, few maps for speedmaps, one mp map for one of MAYhem annuals (I don't remember what year that was but theme of this particular one were movies and shiz connected to it), and one map I did for D2 In Name Only by RDC (yeah we had that idea too, and still, we can't finish it, bruh) and which got overhauled by our good lad BeeWeen from russian Doom community.

@TheOrganGrinderWhat are your released levels? I only see one in DMP2017 (which does look quite cool) and another recent speedmap (in Isolation, IIRC).

Aside from the levels you've mentioned there's my entry into 2018's NaNoWADMo which you can find here, though it's incomplete (only five levels out of the intended nine) and has remained a WIP since then; 2019 was not a productive year for me.

39 minutes ago, FrancisT18 said:

There's actually quite a few participants here who I've seen few if any levels from, ie didn't even know they were mappers. So I would be interested in knowing what levels you have publicly released:

@Decay

@Senor500

@MFG38

@rdwpanothing in last three years I can find

@TheOrganGrinder only can find one map in DMP2017 & one in Isolation

@Uncle 80

@Archanhell

and @Wereknight only see one level in DMP2016

And @19Wraith yes, it's fine to say a specific level or wad inspired you (as opposed to all of an author's works).

@FrancisT18 Well, right now I'm having complications with something so the lastest Project I'm working on is veeeery alpha-ish

My first WAD/Mod was Entering The Impending Chaos/ETIC, it was supposed to be a 6-maps thing but due to the fact that my PC had to be formatted thrice, I lost all work, so currently there's just one, ugly, map out there.

The second Project which I'm currently working on with friends is TCTOA - The Chaotic Tides of Agrazoth.

@Uncle 80Plutinya Experiment you're thinking of?

@PeterMoroSame question as I have asked to several others...do you have any released work? I can't find it with a file search.

@WereknightAh I see...didn't recognize you as CWolf. Sorry...

@TheOrganGrinderI did not know the first half of Chuxulub was even available for download, cool. :)

2 hours ago, FrancisT18 said:

There's actually quite a few participants here who I've seen few if any levels from, ie didn't even know they were mappers. So I would be interested in knowing what levels you have publicly released:

@Decay

@Senor500

@MFG38

@rdwpanothing in last three years I can find

@TheOrganGrinder only can find one map in DMP2017 & one in Isolation

@Uncle 80

@Archanhell

and @Wereknight only see one level in DMP2016

I have one release on Isolation's strain 2, not very proud of it, all my other wads are kept in private for me to keep learning.

Eventually I plan on releasing a mini episode.

8 minutes ago, FrancisT18 said:

@Uncle 80Plutinya Experiment you're thinking of?

Ah yes, that was it! Browsed the text file now, and I was credited as DNF (not included) as I suspected :D

3 hours ago, FrancisT18 said:

@Decay

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Decay

Hard to say. My favorite WAD is Sunlust, so my maps take some influence from that, although mine are probably a good bit easier. Also the more open free-wheeling Skillsaw levels are a favorite of mine too, so there's a lot of that worked into mine as well. The one I'm working on now is smaller and kinda "Going Down"-ish. I can probably talk more about my influences once I've finished all 10 maps I currently have planned. 

Just noting...I added 'or what wad(s) or level(s)' to the title - since in many cases those may be a more direct inspiration than an entire author's work, which can of course be more varied and change over time.

Any publicly available levels to date @Snikle @frooben ?

51 minutes ago, FrancisT18 said:

Just noting...I added 'or what wad(s) or level(s)' to the title - since in many cases those may be a more direct inspiration than an entire author's work, which can of course be more varied and change over time.

Any publicly available levels to date @Snikle @frooben ?

For me there's just a few early WIPs in Austinado's "I'll play your WADs" thread from a few weeks ago.

I mostly take inspiration from wads I play currently or admire them and melt my inspiration sources in the big pot and try present them my own way, using other wad memories as the guide while I try create something. Besides, real life buildings and places, colour choices, music and mood inspires me take directions with my maps. 

I'm flattered I've been an inspiration for a few people ^_^;

As for myself, I honestly don't play many Doom wads (something I've been working on changing), and thus I get most of my inspiration from Quake.  Specifically I'd cite mappers like Sock, Negke, @Breezeep, Mukor, Naitelveni, Pulsar, Ionous, and a few others as my main inspirations.  I still replay and study the original levels quite a bit as well, especially episode 3.  In fact I'd say American McGee has probably been the biggest inspiration overall, both for his Quake and Doom levels.

On the Doom side of things, my largest inspiration outside of McGee has been the team that did Doom 64's levels.  I've also been quite inspired by @leodoom85 and Szymanski's level for joetune.wad, as well as the Serenity/Eternity/Infinity wads.

@Remilia Scarlet I gotta admit that you've made my night when you cited me as one of your mapping inspirations, despite not making anything quake related in a while! I've worried for a while about weather my style is recognizable or not but that is fortunately no longer the case.

Now, as a contribution to this thread, I started out mapping mainly inspired by the works of Erik Alm, and later by Skillsaw, Tarnsman, Xaser, TraversD and at one point, Dannebubinga. On the Quake side of things, my Q1 works are mainly inspired by Sock, Vondur and Scampie. I have this tendency to focus on how my maps will flow and connect to one another, which is why one of my favorite aspects about mapping for quake is the ability to use verticality as a means of blocking off certain parts of the map for the player to open up shortcuts leading down to a lower level of the map. (I.E: my SM191 entry, Miles Beneath the Mold) 

8 hours ago, Uncle 80 said:

Dragonfly's confinement 256 (?) project

Actually that's @Xyzzy01. Bauul and I made a map each and helped compile it, that's all.

The mappers that inspire me the most are as follows:

@Erik (Alm)

@skillsaw

@tourniquet

Erik Alm is probably a given but I thought, in my case, he bares mentioning since I actually take more inspiration from Scythe 1 rather than its sequel since I always try to make small maps that can pack a bit of a bite.

Skillsaw makes the most visually appealing maps to me. The chunky and abstract architecture are a perfect fit for doom and I often try to emulate those aspects (perhaps not quite meeting the mark) in my own maps.

Tourniquet is a mapper that's only really recently appeared on my radar with their most recent release. Of course, I have played their work before but hadn't realized it. Altitude and Mutabor are both very vertical maps. They are both vanilla maps and feel more grand and detailed than maps that have triple the linedefs they have. These are elements I, admittedly, haven't focused on on past maps, but in more recent, currently unreleased works, I've tried to incorporate them.

I’ve done an unintentionally amazing job at taking absolutely no notes from any releases this side of 2000.

I play wads that WOW me at least several times a year at this point, but when I sit down at the editor, nostalgia for simpler, more minimalist times just seeps on in. Granted I’ve yet to do any mapping in 2020 and when I do, I’ll be doing my damnedest to try out the various methods and new approaches people have so kindly pointed me toward.

With all that prose bs outta the way, iwads and DWANGO series aside, here are the main wads that have influenced what I make:

DoomCity by Shamus Young

Area51 by Keith Hickman and Garth Donovan

Bermuda Triangle by Gregory Dick

Hellrun by Adrian Smart

DeepAtak by Jack Vermeulen

Other notable but less overt influences would be the various Star Wars Doom mods of the olden days, as well as DBZ Doom, Simpsons Doom and South Park Doom just for getting me interested in sprite editing, sound editing and DeHackEd.

I also have to mention Memento Mori - I had a decent little pile of wads, but in 2001 this sucker made my jaw hit the floor. Funny because many call the wad outdated, but it was my first really good single player/coop megawad. It truly broadened what I came to expect from a wad!

EDIT: Oh man, and of course, Doom Rampage Edition! Doom Rampage (Tom Kachel is his real name) was the first person to send me WadAuthor back in 2001 which changed everything. I'd found some weird little Doom editing tools before that I could hardly use, but nothing so user-friendly. It really was like the Doom Builder of it's time in terms of easiness.

Seeing his project fail so spectacularly hard after years of work and seeing Tom leave the community seemingly for good was the direct inspiration to make UAC Rebellion, where instead of a Baron taking on the UAC, you were a sort of lone, crazed soldier. I guess given all this, Rampage was definitely one of the most influential authors on me personally. Hell, he won the first ever "worst wad" cacoward...

I could list all of my Deathmatch influences - but it would basically just be a “best of” list of DM wads over the years, most of which are better than my spinoffs anyway. Plus, very few here are cultured enough to appreciate Deathmatch. The only game mode I truly never get bored of.. 

wolf.gif

Edited by Doomkid

13 hours ago, FrancisT18 said:

There's actually quite a few participants here who I've seen few if any levels from, ie didn't even know they were mappers. So I would be interested in knowing what levels you have publicly released

I've actually released 20 different wads or so in the past 10 years. Most of them have just had an extremely small audience to my knowledge, especially since I didn't join the community until 2013 and none of them are up in the /idgames archive.

At any rate, I have a full list of my wads over on my website if you're interested in knowing what I've made: https://santtupesonencreations.com/works/doom/

@Remilia ScarletThank you for taking inspiration from my maps. I must admit that I took some inspiration from your maps to create Suspicious Journey in terms of lighting.

As @Mistysaid, I also take some inspiration from whatever mapsets I play. Heck, even I made some homage areas from other games. For example, I made the famous room from Silent Hill 4 for the Spooktober Mapping Project.

John Romero
Sandy Petersen

Tom Hall

Mr. Halderman

Linguica

fraggle

Leo Martin Lim

Jimmy
Doomkid

joe-ilya

Fonze
Tarnsman
Esselfortium
Tarnsman
Alfonzo
Dobu Gabu Maru
Bridgeburner56
MajorArlene

Dragonfly

Nirvana

AD_79

pcorf

Eris

RonnieJamesDiner

Simpletonium

elend

Philnemba

Insane Gazebo

Nine Inch Heels

Ribbiks

Aquila

Aurelius

DMPhobos

Megalyth

Ichor
Tarnsman

Chris Hansen

rdwpa

lupinx-Kassman

Skillsaw
Remilia Scarlet

Misty 

leodoom85

Obsidian

tango

mrthejoshmon

rf'

Lila Feuer

Rayzik

Pegleg

Tarnsman

xdarkmasterx

Steve88

obake

scumhead

Scotty

Xaser

Voltcom

Tarnsman

Xyzzy

Guardsoul
Liberation

I'm sure there's some I missed = )

Edited by reflex17

These are all mappers whose works i have consciously looked at in detail, and the general areas that i have tried to understand their approaches towards. The extent of manifestation in my own mapping probably varies quite a lot.

Romero, Sandy Petersen - duh

Dario/Milo Casali - high impact gameplay

Death-Destiny, Darkwave0000, Dannebubinga, Tango, Tourniquet - general gameplay design

Ribbiks - everything

Skillsaw, Erik Alm - high paced gameplay, their use of design 'efficiency' in terms of high quality mapping output, and megawad pacing

Esselfortium, Mechadon - architectural and progressional ideas

Insane Gazebo - environmental design, atmosphere, the importance of music in a map

Xaser - use of shapes

BPRD, Lupinx-Kassman - left field ideas and general creativity

Key wad inspiration: Plutonia, Sunder, Sunlust, Stardate 20x6, Valiant, Scythe, Counterattack

I started writing an honourable mentions list but it would be absurdly long...

Edited by Scotty

2 hours ago, reflex17 said:

I'm sure there's some I missed = )

You missed 5 more Tarnsmen

11 minutes ago, JDR said:

You missed 5 more Tarnsmen

lol yeah, Sandy Petersen is my favorite official mapper, and while other community members might have been more singularly inspirational (UAC_DEAD) I would personally put Tarns in the group of mappers i consider consistently flawless. There's others in that group but I like Tarnsman's sense of humor most of all so that's why I repeated the name. I should've repeated Alfonzo a few times too then, if that was the case. To list the mappers whose work I consider nearly perfect I'd basically have to re-write the list again. There are mappers from the Duke3d community that had more impact on my own mapping style but that's another thread entirely.

3 hours ago, reflex17 said:

Misty 

I didn't expect to see my username here... I wonder how I inspire you, when my maps for me feels so weird and funny :D

Sandy Petersen - Everything, to certain extent(?)

TeamTNT - General design philosophy and style, special mention to Ty Halderman

Dario and Milo Casali - Gameplay style

Allen H. Blum III - Sure, he worked on DN3D, but his wonderful Lunar Apocalypse levels have great visual design, which influenced the level I am currently working on.

Also special mention to all the people who appeared on Evolution of the WAD. I haven't played many of their maps, but the series inspired me to make my own maps and taught me many things.