Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DSC

Did Morbid Angel Influence The Intermission Screen?

I mean, there is a certain amount of resemblance, plus they are a band right up Romero's alley.

image.png.ebc2d77910cbdefa0024d6774c27dd4a.png

image.png.4f58edf53857e039db1dab9ad2490455.png

Fun fact: Trey Azagthoth also made a single map known as Chambers of Dis, though it is very crappy.

Edited by taufan99 : All these years and I thought Trey made more than one maps.

I really don't think John Romero did any texture work on Doom. Mostly concept and level design. And the original intermission you posted isn't the same one used in Doom 2. They're similar, but it's just a bunch of tortured souls trapped in a tapestry. And it really doesn't look anywhere near the album cover. It's possible that it was an influence, but you'd have to check with who was at id at the time to make sure. Maybe post it to Romero's twitter.

Speaking of which, the Domination album cover has always reminded me of Doom.

morbid-angel-domination-web.jpg?resize=6

Don't ask me why though

On a side tangent, I love reading about the musical inspiration for really early death metal albums. Since obviously, if death metal is still developing, it can't take inspiration from itself. So you get really weird shit.

Altars of Madness was inspired by grindcore and Pink Floyd. What a combo!

28 minutes ago, FractalBeast said:

Altars of Madness was inspired by grindcore and Pink Floyd. What a combo!

WHAT?!... Well, I guess that explains why I liked that album so much...

Bumping this thread after two years because I played Urania for the first time... And the wad's intermission screen uses this exact album cover!! How the hell did so many years pass before my dumb self discovered this? Mind you Urania was released in 2016, way before my original comment!

NEVER underestimate the influence of metal album covers on Doom's aesthetic. It wouldn't be too surprising if Adrien Carmack made the intermission screens based on Altars of Madness.

Definitely looks like it could of been, the arts awesome on that album cover.

The intermission screen always reminded me of H.R Giger art a little too

hr_giger_biomechanicallandscape_012.jpg

Relatedly, someone (can't remember who, unfortunately) created a texture out of that album cover a while back -- it even tiles nicely in all directions:

ALTARS.png.44d202119d17176370e7ae57fa9bae15.png

Have fun widdit.

On 4/13/2020 at 3:30 PM, unerxai said:

Speaking of which, the Domination album cover has always reminded me of Doom.

morbid-angel-domination-web.jpg?resize=6

Don't ask me why though

That album cover had always striked me as goofy as all hell; mirrored image of some random Bay Area desert combined with the weird palette, and the silly 90's 3D art pentagram...

Not to mention it's the most boring of the 90s MA albums. Shit, even Trey hates it more than IDI.