Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Today's Consoles Need More Old-school First Person Shooters

Remember the "Doom clone" days and 2000's where we got really sweet old-school shooters on consoles? Nowadays PCs get them while consoles are left in the dust with military stuff. Luckily New Blood said they'll bring their shooters over to consoles, with the Switch getting them first. We got the Turok games from Nightdive.

Consoles need more old-school styled fps games. Gameplay reminiscent of Doom, Quake, etc. What do you think?

The thing is, it's much easier for developers to just make them for PC. There's a shit ton of stuff they have to do to be able to release on consoles, let alone learn how to port it to the consoles in the first place.

Indie devs are much less inclined to do this, versus your AAA studios who have the time, resources, knowledge, established console fanbase and most importantly, the money.

30 minutes ago, Nevander said:

The thing is, it's much easier for developers to just make them for PC. There's a shit ton of stuff they have to do to be able to release on consoles, let alone learn how to port it to the consoles in the first place.

Indie devs are much less inclined to do this, versus your AAA studios who have the time, resources, knowledge, established console fanbase and most importantly, the money.

Essentially this.

Most developers making retro shooters are from indie studios, which are considerably smaller in terms of size and manpower. Porting stuff to consoles requires additional effort, time, funds, and of course knowledge, not to mention that these games usually appeal only to a specific group of people so it's not like they will sell like say, a triple-A blockbuster.

Heck some do not even get ported to all 3 main operating systems and just stay on one.

Here's my suggestion; encourage console-only developers, indie or AAA, to make at least one of them.

Heck, Bungie, now known for their Halo (and Destiny), originally started as a Mac-only developer who made Pathways into Darkness (Mac Wolf3D clone with more complex additions) and Marathon (the main reason Mac gamers weren't really into DOOM. Also progenitor of Halo), before finally also embracing Windows in 1996-97. I know there might be a few device-exclusive developers out there nowadays, just like Bungie back in the 1990's.

I just want Heretic, Hexen and Quake 1 and 2 on consoles, and maybe Hexen 2. I can dream of more really good nightdive ports right?

You would have better luck convincing Triple AAA Studios that fast-paced Action FPS can be just as profitable as Tactical/Military FPS as long as you give players that didn't grow up with old-school FPS a reason to play it. Like Doom Eternal, for instance. It has periphery demographic appeal, not just for fans of Modern FPS, but of people who otherwise wouldn't bother playing an FPS, which is a demographic a modern, military FPS can't get. I know tons of people who picked up Doom 2016/Eternal or even DUSK who otherwise swore off the entire FPS genre as being a bunch of vapid, mediocre COD clones. If some big studios notice this dynamic, there could be a second "Doom Clone" renaissance. 

But if it doesn't, there's plenty of ports of old classics you probably slept on, countless Doom mods and mapsets, and there's an indie studio around every corner working on their own projects. So at least it still exists, which is more than can be said 10 years ago. 

5 hours ago, Devalaous said:

I just want Heretic, Hexen and Quake 1 and 2 on consoles, and maybe Hexen 2. I can dream of more really good nightdive ports right?

And Q3A. Next year is Quake's 25th anniversary, we can only hope.

6 hours ago, Devalaous said:

I just want Heretic

Me too, boo. Me too. :B

Really, there's never been an official Heretic port on consoles and I really think it'd be a good game to play through sat back all relaxed with a controller.

2 hours ago, scalliano said:

And Q3A. Next year is Quake's 25th anniversary, we can only hope.

The Xbox 360 had a form of Quake 3 port, interestingly enough. But yes, I'd love for either Nightdive or sponge's team to give s some updated ports for today's PCs and consoles. I have many fond memories of blowing my brother away on quake 3 on the PS2, as well as his friends when they were over. Nothing beats good old couch-splitscreen

43 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

Me too, boo. Me too. :B

Really, there's never been an official Heretic port on consoles and I really think it'd be a good game to play through sat back all relaxed with a controller.

Once that PS1 port from @intacowetrust is done, maybe we can try making our own PS1 Heretic, a game that never was! (Or a good PS1 port of Hexen for that matter!)

Edited by Devalaous

16 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

Remember the "Doom clone" days and 2000's where we got really sweet old-school shooters on consoles? Nowadays PCs get them while consoles are left in the dust with military stuff. Luckily New Blood said they'll bring their shooters over to consoles, with the Switch getting them first. We got the Turok games from Nightdive.

Consoles need more old-school styled fps games. Gameplay reminiscent of Doom, Quake, etc. What do you think?

I'd like to see more Build style engine games personally, or Quake engine style games too.

I want shooty action, but I can do with out any edgelord stuff.

7 hours ago, Devalaous said:

Quake and Quake2 both had console ports.

Quake was ported to N64 and I believe Quake2 made it on both N64 and PlayStation.

Quake 3 was ported to Dreamcast.

Yes but they were all on old systems and heavily compromised. Quake 2 was seen in full on the X360 as a bonus with Quake 4, but aside from that, the games sorely need a modern release. Ideally I'd have Nightdive do their thing with Quake 2 and port over the N64 exclusive campaign alongside the expansions, for a four campaign release, and Quake 1 getting any exclusive content from its N64 and Saturn ports, and maybe a new episode, alongside its expansions.

Quake 3 on PS2 wasnt a bad game, I remember preferring it to the X360 port

Edited by Devalaous

1 hour ago, 𝕲𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖌𝖊𝖗1 said:

Quake was ported to N64

You forgot the Sega Saturn port. (Fun fact: the port was originally developed for the PSX, but as Sony didn't use to like 3D games in their console, it got ported to the Saturn instead.)

10 hours ago, InDOOMnesia said:

(Fun fact: the port was originally developed for the PSX, but as Sony didn't use to like 3D games in their console, it got ported to the Saturn instead.)

Gonna have to ask for a source on this "fact" because as I remember it from back in the day, Quake was one of three Saturn games developed using the SlaveDriver engine by Lobotomy Software; the other two being Powerslave (hence the engine name, also known as Exhumed in the EU or Seiki: 1999 in JP) and Duke Nukem 3D. SlaveDriver was proprietary tech for the Saturn, but Lobotomy did a version of Powerslave/Exhumed for PlayStation -- there was literally never any talk of them doing the ports of Duke 3D (which was handled by another team) nor Quake for the PlayStation. Indeed the story goes that the Saturn FPS triad, of which they did amazing work considering the system's limitations, pretty much wiped the company right out.

I think I would just broaden the whole topic and say we could use more good games on anything, these days. 

13 hours ago, Devalaous said:

Yes but they were all on old systems and heavily compromised. Quake 2 was seen in full on the X360 as a bonus with Quake 4, but aside from that, the games sorely need a modern release. Ideally I'd have Nightdive do their thing with Quake 2 and port over the N64 exclusive campaign alongside the expansions, for a four campaign release, and Quake 1 getting any exclusive content from its N64 and Saturn ports, and maybe a new episode, alongside its expansions.

Quake 3 on PS2 wasnt a bad game, I remember preferring it to the X360 port

Didn't Nightdive add hand holding to Strife Veteran Edition and Turok 2? They redesigned Turok Dinosaur Hunter's areas to make them easier. I would be a bit worried if they handled Quake 2.

7 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

Didn't Nightdive add hand holding to Strife Veteran Edition and Turok 2? They redesigned Turok Dinosaur Hunter's areas to make them easier. I would be a bit worried if they handled Quake 2.

They did that for Turok 1 and 2 because the original level design of those games were terrible. I really liked Turok 2 back on the N64 but I also never finished it, and playing it lately even with the additions nightdive made, it really does not hold up despite their best efforts.  Quake 2 is nowhere near as convoluted and I doubt they'd feel a need to do make any such additions, its not like they did to the original System Shock or Doom 64.

They did add a map to Forsaken which frankly makes them heroes in my book. 

17 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

You'd be worried about anything really...

Anyway, they'd never do this to Quake... they did it with the Turok games because those games' design kinda called for it, but the OG levels are still available to play as an option, at least in Turok 1, the second one did not receive this treatment yet.

The upcoming SS2 remaster will likely have changed levels for reference as well, but the original game will still be available separately.

8 minutes ago, seed said:

The upcoming SS2 remaster will likely have changed levels for reference as well, but the original game will still be available separately.

And if it mainly involves making the end of the game less of a slog I wholeheartedly welcome that. Just hope their version will be compatible with all the visual mods, people did a lot of good work on SS2. 

26 minutes ago, hybridial said:

They did that for Turok 1 and 2 because the original level design of those games were terrible. I really liked Turok 2 back on the N64 but I also never finished it, and playing it lately even with the additions nightdive made, it really does not hold up despite their best efforts.  Quake 2 is nowhere near as convoluted and I doubt they'd feel a need to do make any such additions, its not like they did to the original System Shock or Doom 64.

They did add a map to Forsaken which frankly makes them heroes in my book. 

It's not hard to control in the game. With the remaster, it shouldn't be hard to control at all.

18 minutes ago, hybridial said:

And if it mainly involves making the end of the game less of a slog I wholeheartedly welcome that. Just hope their version will be compatible with all the visual mods, people did a lot of good work on SS2. 

I dunno, even if they won't be, the OG will still be available to play (and probably purchase too), so I don't think much will be lost. At any rate, if it's going to use a new, updated engine, then I don't think these mods will remain compatible, not without some tweaking first.

BTW I'd love new physics as well, because fuck the physics and the floaty movement in this game lol.

mmm i can't think of any consoles. The Switch? what else is there? i'm assuming you don't mean the giant cellphones you leave under the tv and operate with a joypad and have to constantly update just like a typical PC giggle

on topic: universal basic income

55 minutes ago, seed said:

BTW I'd love new physics as well, because fuck the physics and the floaty movement in this game lol.

Fair enough, I never had a problem with it and actually would say I played newer games with physics I liked less, more advanced or not (for example all the Bioshock games). If they can update the interface and have real controller support that would be cool for me, but that said both it and Deus Ex remain surprisingly playable when using controller emulation, moreso than a lot of games from the time period, and even the interfaces are not the worst to deal with using a stick to control the cursor. 

tbh I wouldn't describe what was done to S:VE as handholding if only because the things they patched over were basically screws that would completely ruin a save without any warning whatsoever. Strife's conversation system was... kinda limited in its actual application tbh. So many "choices" in the game are "progress the game" or "summon a bunch of monsters to kill you," with only a few choices having actual game impact. Patching over the screws isn't something I consider too bad.

And if you like that sort of nonsense in your old games, there is a legacy mode where all the patches are removed and you can enjoy being cursed to death by Harris.

The problem is that when they do get made for consoles (or ported to) they don't get updated often if they need to be (or ever in the case of Duke Nukem 20th World Tour). AAA studios should have no problem understanding how to program for a console nowadays since they are closer to a PC then ever. Hell they practically are PC's. BUT yes, it is easier/faster to just make games for PC's and do updates/patches for them, even though a lot of people still play on consoles. Not every PC game has controller support, and if it does sometimes it's not very good.

I only see Quake being ported over to consoles when a new game in the Quake franchise comes out. Kinda like how the new Doom ports came out only when a new Doom game was released.

That is unfortunately likely. Doom 64 was treated as a mere pack-in game for pre-orders of Eternal afterall by the company higher-ups, but the port itself is QUALITY.

So, we need a Doom 2016 level Quake 5 to come out and let us tear up some Strogg in the fashion modern games do, with a port of Quake 1 2 3A and 4 to come out alongside it then? ;p

Heretic 1 and 2 and Hexen 1 and 2 would be even more hell to get out the door again, but still...I can dream.

Nah, honestly I doubt that if we're going to see new Quake games, they'll definitely have to be different from the Doom sequel in more significant ways. If they're going to be just Doom 2016/Eternal but with a Lovecraftian setting, bhop, and grenade jumping it will be pointless IMO, there's not enough differences to create a stark contrast between the two.

7 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

(or ever in the case of Duke Nukem 20th World Tour)

WT is a bad example, though. Even on PC it only ever received 1 (!) patch, and it was going to be a doomed remaster from the beginning anyway since Randy wanted to make a new cash grab game, but without investing into it at all. This is why the new episode, its enemies, and the general quality of the remaster was panned. It had some fancy stuff, but noticeably lacked polish and was a quick job.

12 minutes ago, seed said:

WT is a bad example, though. Even on PC it only ever received 1 (!) patch, and it was going to be a doomed remaster from the beginning anyway since Randy wanted to make a new cash grab game, but without investing into it at all. This is why the new episode, its enemies, and the general quality of the remaster was panned. It had some fancy stuff, but noticeably lacked polish and was a quick job.

Such a big shame, actually. I like the concept of bringing an old scrapped stuff into a playable form (the Incinerator, even if it doesn't feel as satisfying to use as Blood's firespray). But yeah, even E5L1 feels extremely unbalanced in lower difficulties.

Speaking of which, a dev message of Blood during development (somewhere between the 3DR and Monolith era) suggested that a staff come over to Sony, Atari and (IIRC) The 3DO Company to see if they could make a console port for Blood.

@Jayextee Ah, thank God the issue that Quake was to be ported to PSX is not an actual story. I wonder how long I've just believed that hoax now...