Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DSC

If Classic Revenants Could Fly...

At the time I'm making this post, I have currently the Bony Memeber tag, that you attain after making 206 other posts, as a reference to the number of bones in an adult human. After I publish it, I will obviously lose the rank, but to make the occasion special, lets talk about our favorite spooky skeletons: revenants. Imagine if they could fly in the older games like they can in the new ones. One thing is for sure, they are already so hated by the community, I can't even wrap my head around how much they would be despised in that parallel universe...

And by the way, I wonder if there is any obscure mod that does this?

1 minute ago, rdwpa said:

I wouldn't stop there. 

...Someone please immediately e-mail that to Dario Casali.

9 minutes ago, DSC said:

And by the way, I wonder if there is any obscure mod that does this?

Check out Doom 4 Vanilla although I think (?) the flying revenants in that may just be a cosmetic effect.

Most monsters in Doom 2016 are much more mobile vertically than in the original. Imp, Revenant, Mancubus, Knight, Baron, even the Possessed - all either fly or jump or hop or climb. It's almost mandatory, considering the Marine's jump abilities and the much more 3D environments.

27 minutes ago, DSC said:

If Classic Revenants Could Fly...

Let's not go there... it would make them even more of a pain in the ass to deal with.

I like them as they are.

Leave the flying Revenants as a part of Doom 2016.

The revenants in Doom 2016 are usually called the weakest monster in Doom 2016. They sacrificed everything for mobility they don't utilize well. Classic Revenants would become batshit strong in comparison.

I present the world's most low-effort DeHackEd patch for your pleasure.

Play Go 2 It or Cyberden for a good time.

revenant.zip

Edited by Spie812

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I thought id didn’t go far enough. Every monster deserves the gift of flight.

Flying chaingunners? Ok am calling the police. 

They can sort of fly in Doom 4 Vanilla.

The holobots and invisible holobots in STRAIN are basically flying revenants (with new graphics and sounds). They aren't terribly annoying, as they don't move very fast and don't have a lot of health.

I doubt it, probably this question is really stupid, but would it be possible to have vanilla Doom make the revenants change from a flying to on the ground state and vice versa? Not like Doom 4 Vanilla where it just happens when they fire for a second, but like having them start flying to reach you faster and then stop to attack you.

I know, it can't happen, but I like to imagine it.

19 minutes ago, Senor500 said:

would it be possible to have vanilla Doom make the revenants change from a flying to on the ground state and vice versa?

Yes, with some state swapping trickery (which will be difficult to explain and will be a bit hard to execute). In theory you can even recreate Marauder's "shield chase - green eye" using this.

39 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

In theory you can even recreate Marauder's "shield chase - green eye" using this.

That sounds "badass" but probably not worth the effort.

STRAIN.WAD replaced revenants with Holo-bots, essentially flying robotic eyes that still shot revenant missiles.

On 4/13/2020 at 5:19 PM, fraggle said:

Check out Doom 4 Vanilla although I think (?) the flying revenants in that may just be a cosmetic effect.

Cosmetic effect.  Those are in-flight sprites for a normal walking monster.

If you're working with Decorate, you can use A_ChangeFlag to toggle a monster between flying and walking. You would need to use the various Jump states to do it smoothly to create take off, flying and landing states. Might also need to use some dummy inventory items as variables. I remember Ghastly experimenting with it years ago you could ask him.

On 4/13/2020 at 12:19 PM, fraggle said:

Yep! The visual change have a purpose though, it's used to indicate a speed boost. Funnily enough, the Revenants in Doom 2016 also don't "fly" in a traditional sense, they just stand in the air to fire their missiles or to jump higher.

On 4/15/2020 at 11:50 PM, Senor500 said:

Not like Doom 4 Vanilla where it just happens when they fire for a second, but like having them start flying to reach you faster and then stop to attack you.

That's more or less what happens on D4V, but you have to activate his pain state. Unless you are talking about real flying.

Edited by Noiser

11 minutes ago, Noiser said:

Unless you are talking about real flying.

That, go from real flying to going on the ground.

20 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Yes, with some state swapping trickery (which will be difficult to explain and will be a bit hard to execute). In theory you can even recreate Marauder's "shield chase - green eye" using this.

Why have you cursed me to make the marauder in vanilla.

!THX!

Well, this could be -sort of- mitigated if they were also made to infight.

On 4/13/2020 at 8:11 AM, rdwpa said:

I wouldn't stop there. 

Why stop there? You can add +NOCLIP to the revenant's DECORATE info.