Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Super Mighty G

What Makes Doom Eternal Different?

1 hour ago, Sitting on a cornflake said:

Good video.  Can't wait to see how id creates a perfect synthesis of all the best aspects of Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal in the next game. 

I don't really care about the next game at this point. I was only really interested in seeing Hell beaten back from Earth, and of course the previous game with the Mars base, as being like a "next generation" version of Doom some 25 years later, and it's all over now as far as I'm concerned. I suspect that the next game (if it's not a reboot for a third time) will consist of the Doomslayer going to alien worlds and kicking demon ass, and to be honest, who's interested in that?

15 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

I don't really care about the next game at this point. I was only really interested in seeing Hell beaten back from Earth, and of course the previous game with the Mars base, as being like a "next generation" version of Doom some 25 years later, and it's all over now as far as I'm concerned. I suspect that the next game (if it's not a reboot for a third time) will consist of the Doomslayer going to alien worlds and kicking demon ass, and to be honest, who's interested in that?

I think there will be further adventures in Hell. The Dark Lords haven't had their asses kicked yet.

1 hour ago, Foebane72 said:

I suspect that the next game  will consist of the Doomslayer going to alien worlds and kicking demon ass, and to be honest, who's interested in that?

Lots of people, including myself

6 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Lots of people, including myself

We'll see what happens then, although it'll be a long wait.

2 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

I suspect that the next game (if it's not a reboot for a third time) will consist of the Doomslayer going to alien worlds and kicking demon ass, and to be honest, who's interested in that?

Enough people. Its the basis from which Doom is derived from.

I am not sure what you are trying to frame here given your stance on Eternal.

12 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

I am not sure what you are trying to frame here given your stance on Eternal.

What do you think my stance is on Eternal?

21 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

What do you think my stance is on Eternal?

Clever question since we can't actually search that at the moment.

Lets look at your original question: ''Who is interested in that?'' That being Doomslayer going to alien worlds and kicking demon ass.

Your question sounds more loaded than that it is geniune. Because enough people are interested in that.  But that will be a long wait.

Well yeah ofcourse that will be a long wait. Eternal just released.

So therefore i am not sure what you are trying to frame here.

I do wonder what they might call the next game. As such things go, Eternal is pretty superlative.

2 hours ago, NoXion said:

I do wonder what they might call the next game. As such things go, Eternal is pretty superlative.

Immortal ?

Eh, that sounds like a synonym, perhaps something related to whatever synopsis they set up for it, think something like Doom: Resurrection.

E: turns out that's also already taken lol, but you get the idea, a subtitle related to the story, assuming they don't decide to put it on hold until another reboot again in the next 15 years or something, but given how well the series is selling it's safe to assume we can at the very least expect singleplayer DLCs for now, it sure looks like they're setting Eternal up to be the last big one for a while, too early to talk about another sequel.

Edited by sluggard

56 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Clever question since we can't actually search that at the moment.

Lets look at your original question: ''Who is interested in that?'' That being Doomslayer going to alien worlds and kicking demon ass.

Your question sounds more loaded than that it is geniune. Because enough people are interested in that.  But that will be a long wait.

Well yeah ofcourse that will be a long wait. Eternal just released.

So therefore i am not sure what you are trying to frame here.

I've grown to like Eternal. A LOT. I'd say even more so than 2016. That's what I'm trying to frame.

I'm just saying that I think Eternal (appropriate title) may be my last ever Doom game, that's all.

4 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

If what i want from the franchise is still there i'm interested but i get your point on a world building perspective. It's kind of a conundrum, if Doom outgrows Doom, is it still doom? The Strogg carcass in Doom Eternal's reveal trailer's first seconds on the left and the Quake-like architecture (Romero playing Eternal when he sees the church's interior:"This is Quake") it somewhat feels like Doom might be where single player lays now for id's sci-fi world and will keep Quake's name for online.
I'm not sure i want quake to catch the tone of Doom Eternal. I'm replaying Quake 1 with the music and the dark and creepy atmosphere plays a big role in what makes this game special. I had a stroke when i saw someone play this in vr and call it cheesy and campy.

9 minutes ago, Deimos said:

I'm replaying Quake 1 with the music and the dark and creepy atmosphere plays a big role in what makes this game special. I had a stroke when i saw someone play this in vr and call it cheesy and campy.

Quake 1 might come across differently in VR. You're literally seeing the game form a different perspective.

6 minutes ago, NoXion said:

Quake 1 might come across differently in VR. You're literally seeing the game form a different perspective.

He ended up quite uncomfortable tho, but it was without music and the graphics are quite old now so the first impression can be misleading.

Also yeah, to me resident evil 7 feels less scary in vr but it's because i control what i see and do better.

Interesting take on DooM's 4+5.

The whole "minimalist" and "maximalist?" sides of a coin is quite interesting and I suppose makes sense as to why DooM 5 has so little ammo compared to DooM 4.

Also since Minimalism typically forces you to play in one style, this might be the biggest reason I hated DooM 4 so much...

Amma be honest I'm actually tempted to buy Eternal now. XD

42 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Interesting take on DooM's 4+5.

The whole "minimalist" and "maximalist?" sides of a coin is quite interesting and I suppose makes sense as to why DooM 5 has so little ammo compared to DooM 4.

Also since Minimalism typically forces you to play in one style, this might be the biggest reason I hated DooM 4 so much...

Amma be honest I'm actually tempted to buy Eternal now. XD

Eternal forces you more than 2016, if you don't feed grenades to the cacos you waste ammo and the chainsaw can feel repetitive fast. The marauder is an other thing that will stuck you in specific exchanges
In high difficulties that is. Every enemy has a particular approach to it

5 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

*Waits for DooM 6*

or maybe try it when it's on discount, it has some good maps and impressive environments

15 hours ago, thewormofautumn said:

Next game is the Call of Doom release 

You know what? As much as i dislike the idea of this approach, the cancelled Doom 4 is something i'd really like to play still, it feels like a huge waste.
Some musical clues make me think of reused assets in "Wolfenstein: The New Order"(music from the bridge section sounded oddly similar to Doom4 leaked music)
Like a lot of people i still feel bitter for the lost of all these rebooted iterations of Duke Nukem Forever(especially the one from 2001) and various other cancelled games.Maybe it's just regret for what you can't have...
Wolfenstein TNO
https://youtu.be/h257rWYzGao

Doom4
https://youtu.be/WeCIzcGcCjk

1 hour ago, Deimos said:

the cancelled Doom 4 is something i'd really like to play still, it feels like a huge waste.

No arguments from me. I’d have liked to have seen it too. I wouldn’t mind another DOOM game that’s less about the power fantasy and more about being gritty and being an ordinary human against extraordinary battles 

Cancelled Doom 4 had the potential of ruining the series but at the same time, if it was a huge Doom 3 expansion that resembled Doom a bit more, was still fun/challenging to play, fixed some of Doom 3's issues and introduced new things to the series that are good ideas, it could work.

Doom has a lot of cut content and ideas that i always thought could work or are even too good to be left in the cutting room floor.

Something i think could be executed well in the Doom 3 portion of the series is the Light Amp Visor having some wallhack/see through ability (or stuff like puzzles similar to a text one in DN3D's Life's A Beach except for secrets) or the Blursphere being used for stealth missions.

Like, with the right team, good enough ideas and less bad ones, it could potentially work.

The new/reboot games also experiment with a lot of things on their own, for better or worse.

Speaking of cut music

On 4/16/2020 at 7:05 PM, whatup876 said:

Speaking of cut music

Here are some other tracks apparently: