Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoahRules

Chex Quest is getting a remake

1 hour ago, NPC_CO8ALT said:

You gotta use codes that are supposed to be on new packs of Chex and Chex Mix to get em.

I wonder if they are single use codes or if we can use them multiple times. I'm guessing single use..

Edit: They aren't single use. Here are all the codes (source)

Fred Chexter

Code: D2af3W

Spoiler

E7F86A50F9AFCFCFBB98B561DE48A12B8636195A

Wheatney Chexworth

Code: D3bg4E

Spoiler

79DA4A3B48DFBF7F34B754D9E30207935CB5D08F

Dr. O'Ryen

Code: D4cj6R

Spoiler

3147AE7660532948F565342C3BCCB0D4E9F0D056

Shane ‘The Dread’ McBread

Code: D7Gy2u

Spoiler

94571675ABBA4E0EDF11BE7D803029EC76359C90

NACL96

Code: D5eK9T

Spoiler

880B95842A791479CCC8EB7310EE608B8CC8DF71

P.R.E.T.Z.L

Code: D6ft1S

Spoiler

204934144F575DC34C3283421E5040391F7B0376

Edited by xvertigox

I watched someone play it on Twitch and holyshit the HUD looks horrible! It takes up half of the damn screen. There is a reason that the guys at id scrapped that idea...because it was a BAD idea. Otherwise i guess the game looks alright for a free game.

@xvertigox Now that's what I call creative advertising! Good job on Chex for kinda keeping their root with the remake.

You know, this game isn't too bad so far. It sure looks really nice, at least the overall art style and the level environments anyways. The HUD is kinda ugly. I wish there was a way to remove it or at least scale the size for it. Plus, it would be nice if there were some information onscreen that lets you know if you picked up items. Just the sound cues alone isn't very helpful. I wish the mouselook didn't feel so janky. I tried adjusting the mouselook settings, but I could never get it to feel smooth. Oh well. 

I gotta say, this mod sure makes me crave some Chex Mix again lol. The bold flavor is the best flavor.

Just beat the game with all six characters, and Dr. O Ryen's ending includes a blatant Doom reference as well as a mind-bending twist which completely redefines the very foundation of the established Chex canon in a manner far more bedazzling and enthralling than Doom 2016/Eternal making all WADs canon!

Spoiler alert!

Spoiler

Damn, good work @Revenant100 Have you put any thought of speedrunning? I've started looking for glitches and routing, got map 1 down to 2:15 after a few tries. I managed to clip through one of the lift doors and into the geometry on one of the spaceships so I'm gonna explore that.

I have no idea whatsoever about Unreal Engine, so how's mod support in there? Can we already do things in there or does the dev need to publish the game's SDK for it?

1 hour ago, xvertigox said:

Damn, good work @Revenant100 Have you put any thought of speedrunning?

Actually, I just used a hex editor to forcibly unlock all of the levels for every character and enter the last level with all weapons and max health, armor, and ammo.

I just beat the game. It's not bad considering that it's available for free. The game's lore is quite fun and weird. The enemy AI feels really braindead though. Sometimes they'll spot you and chase you down, but most times they'll just stand their doing nothing. Somehow, the original Doom AI feels more intelligent.

My feelings on this remake are in the middle.

Pros: Recreated levels were done very well and captured the style of the original very well.

Remixed music was very pleasant to listen to. Was worried they were gonna update it too much.

You can play as more than one character and each with their own personalities.

Cons: The jokes or one liners were very lame. Thank goodness there’s a way to turn it off.

The weapons don’t feel as powerful. Maybe that’s just me though.

Weapons do not switch automatically when you run out of ammo. Especially when you are being hoarded by flemoids this can be annoying.

The game seems to have a few bugs. Doors either open by standing in front of them or by pushing the switch. It’s not consistent I don’t know if that’s a bug.

Enemies do not seem to notice you until you get right up close to them. Don’t know if this was a design choice or something to do with the game.

In 4th level it was not clear you had to turn on the switch power to get yellow key card. I kept pushing the switch thinking it was just a bug or something. They could have put in a hint or something.

There’s no difficulty setting. I think the game is fair enough honestly, but I miss being able to choose the difficulty.

When you die you do not start back up with full health. This can be extremely frustrating if you are at a low health.

I think it misses the charm of the original by not running on the doom engine. The original seemed to be remembered for being a kid friendly doom which is funny cause it used the same engine as doom so to take that away it does not seem as memorable. 

I don’t think this is a bad remake I just wished it was a bit better. Hard to believe it took years to make. Felt like it was made in a week.

Would not mind seeing this team remake 2 and 3.

7/10

Its a little on the easy side, but remember everyone...this and the original game are aimed at KIDS. Its supposed to be easier so they could actually beat it. I'm sure for many kids back in the day this was their first FPS (well, that or Goldeneye. The 90s were amazing.).

Is there any difference in gameplay between the characters, or is it just the voice acting and making a cut scene or two?

3 minutes ago, Capellan said:

Is there any difference in gameplay between the characters, or is it just the voice acting and making a cut scene or two?

From what most have said, it's just the voice acting, cutscenes, and such, and there's no actual gameplay differences.