Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CoyoteComrade

How to fix missing front sidedefs

Question

I'm in the process of building a multiplayer map, and when giving it it's inaugural test run, I was given this error message. Any idea how I could fix this?

IMG_20200415_204804.jpg

12 answers to this question

You have a problem with lines from 943 to 946. I can't see the map but I suspect that in the process of building it you have messed up with the sectors (or you have accidentally flipped a one-side linedef, or also accidentally removed a sector). However, having that you can specify the sector of a linedef simply typing a number inside the linedef edit window, I think that you have simply changed it here in a wrong way.

The general idea in this cases is just to search and look for the mentioned lines and check if everything is ok. Be sure that the one-side linedefs have the front side selected has their "only side" and that the sector is correctly set for them.

If the problem persists, you can always try to delete and build again the incriminated lines (after a proper backup of course).

1 hour ago, Error-404 said:

I'm in the process of building a multiplayer map, and when giving it it's inaugural test run, I was given this error message. Any idea how I could fix this?

Most editors nowadays have a visual mode., which should point out missing textures.

Then there are also editors, UDB, GZDBBF, DBX, which have a map analysis tool (default F4).

Spoiler

xFUKRwY.png

Also Deepsea if you are mapping for DOOM format or Doom in Hexen format.

Follow-up question:

Are you using an external texture pack?

19 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

Follow-up question:

Are you using an external texture pack?

Nope, just doom2.wad. I've managed to fix everything but line 944 and 947, which remains broken despite my best efforts. Here's the busted wad, if you want to give it a look. It doesn't appear to be a missing texture...

CTF-Turbine-broken.zip

Edited by Error-404

It's likely an unclosed sector, just move the sectors vertices around a little and the map should run.

Although that won't fix everything with this map, you'll want to at least rebuild sectors 261 and 80 also.

Aside from the obvious in map analysis, it looks like it could be a fun CTF map at some point. ;)

Edited by Mr.Rocket

4 hours ago, Error-404 said:

How would I do that? And also the line 944 isn't connected to that sector at all

You have drawn some sectors already. Therefore, redrawing a sector should not be that difficult.

All I can suggest is for you to acquaint yourself with some doom mapping concepts by reading

Doom Builder: An Illustrated Guide

In particular Chapter 2.1

I don't know who or what is at fault here, you or the editor.

Slade3 has always seemed clumsy to me, but it's a matter of what you are used to, I guess.

Unfortunately there is nothing for Slade3 like the illustrated guide for DB. So you are just

left with the few tutorials published in the Slade3 WIKI.

Anyways, redraw the highlighted sector.

Spoiler

Vs0N0Ei.png

The curious fact of doing that is, that the sector index will change from 262 to 190.

So some linedef, probably linedef 22, held some incompatible data.

Edited by Kappes Buur

Just as a side note:

Opening CTF-Turbine-l22.wad with UDB does show the sector with index 190 right away, not 262.

Spoiler

nM1ixZd.png

So, it appears that Slade3 interprets a map differently than what UDB does.

Then instead of redrawing the sector, UDB has a function Make Sector Mode (default key M)

which redraws the sector with one click. Well, in 99% of the cases, which is very handy.

Addendum:

I just played through your map and in particular I noticed the MIDGRATE texture, which has transparent sections. But in your map this texture is opaque.

The only sectors which normally have the floor and ceiling height set to the same value are doors and pillars.

So, if you rework those sectors to have textures, which are indeed transparent, to a floor height lower than the ceiling height and the linedefs are doublesided, then the transparent part will be visible.

Read in the guide section 2.3.2.5 See-Through Textures.

However, transparent doors are a different ball of wax entirely.

Edited by Kappes Buur

I figured out the transparency issue on my own and came to a different solution, but this is good info, thanks! I just made the doors opaque though, not worth the trouble.