Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xdarkmasterx

Demons of Darkness (vanilla)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi, I played your map and I liked the visuals and the intertwined bridges. Really clever design. And at least for me the map really wasn't easy with all those revenants while you have to take care not to fall down into the nukage.

What I didn't like so much was how stingy you are with ammunition in the first half of the map. When you get the chaingun from the chaingunner you almost can't use it for the next minutes because you almost can't find bullets in the first half of the map. And a couple more shells would also have helped.

 

Technically there is one thing: The secret where the green armor is, is actually counted as three secrets. This is because sectors 63, 65 and 68 are all marked as secrets. You should only mark one of them.

 

The choice of the salsa music for a map like this was a little bit strange, but definitely unique! ;)

Edited by Loomis

Share this post


Link to post

FDA below.

 

This is another really good recreation of 90's mapping by you, as usual. I like how despite being in hell, the sky is still blue, makes it feel more relaxed than the usual the red and brown skies hell maps tend to have.

I found the difficulty to be perfect, it never felt like a grind, the two revenants by the rock catwalks were highly effective, and these were only two enemies, so I didn't have to spend much time killing them, usually mappers like to put too many enemies in such scenarious, but you seem to know that less is more.

One thing I found lacking personally, is how the switch that's surrounded with the scrolling flesh spine wall doesn't hide enemies behind fake walls.

 

While I was banned, I was lurking around here and playing many of your maps, a lot of them were very enjoyable.

demdarkFDAjoe.zip

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Loomis said:

Technically there is one thing: The secret where the green armor is, is actually counted as three secrets. This is because sectors 63, 65 and 68 are all marked as secrets. You should only mark one of them.

 

shiet... duden't notice that :I, fixed

 

thanks for playing it guys

 

BTW music is from rise of the triad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6erC93RvZeI

 

Share this post


Link to post

Okay. This map's idea actually is pretty unique and I love it's idea. Having to rush through a level whilst having low-mid tier enemies fire at me and having more than 1 path to choose to help approach a scenario is a brilliant idea... but there's a good few flaws to this map.

 

For one, the revenants are placed a but TOO well. The revenets in the cages have killed me multiple times since I can't really back up easily to take cover, forcing me to take damage. Maybe add some walls along the initial cave path to help alleviate this problem.

 

Two, this map is pretty unforgiving if you fall off. Due to how tight health items are, you take a LOT of damage if you fall off. (To the point it's basically a death sentence). This would be fine if I didn't have most of my fall offs be from getting knocked back from fireballs and revenants deciding heat-seeking is the new norm. ._.

 

Three, the teleporters in the cave lead to a very poorly placed TP exit. You can very easily walk right off the spot and back into the slime pit below since it's placed really close to the edge. Maybe back it up a little or add a small wall so you can't immediately run off. Also, the location is right in the middle of the revenants and cacodemon's line of sight meaning you can easily get pelted back down into the pit again.

 

Overall a smart concept but one I think needs refining.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

For one, the revenants are placed a but TOO well. The revenets in the cages have killed me multiple times since I can't really back up easily to take cover, forcing me to take damage. Maybe add some walls along the initial cave path to help alleviate this problem.

 

That's part of the challenge man XD, maybe there should be HK there on low difficulties than UV, if it's really too hard

 

6 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

 

Two, this map is pretty unforgiving if you fall off. Due to how tight health items are, you take a LOT of damage if you fall off. (To the point it's basically a death sentence). This would be fine if I didn't have most of my fall offs be from getting knocked back from fireballs and revenants deciding heat-seeking is the new norm. ._.

 

This is concept for the level, :p, monster threat is low, so was provided platforming and damaging floors to make harder, but I think this level is very easy any way

 

6 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

 

 

Three, the teleporters in the cave lead to a very poorly placed TP exit. You can very easily walk right off the spot and back into the slime pit below since it's placed really close to the edge. Maybe back it up a little or add a small wall so you can't immediately run off. Also, the location is right in the middle of the revenants and cacodemon's line of sight meaning you can easily get pelted back down into the pit again.

 

I considered putting that teleporter in a safer location, but decide against, this is the punishment for falling off ;). Again, if I get more complains about this I'll put teleport reciever in a different place on easy and perhaps medium

 

thanks for playing, again

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×