Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dubbagdarrel

New York Doomers, what's your opinions on Gov. Cuomo's new face-mask policy?

Posted (edited)

So to any Doomers out there who also live in the state of New York, what do you think of Cuomo's mandatory public face mask policy? To be enforced with a 1000 dollar fine. I don't know about you but I'm NOT wearing a mask whenever I leave my house. What is this a dictatorship? Kiss my ass. I'm an American citizen. If they wanna kick me out of a store then that's fine I'll take my business somewhere else. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. but they will literally have to call the police, hold me down and strap it on if they want me to wear it and even that's not gonna happen without a fight I'll tell you right now. What are they gonna do arrest me over it? . I'm not anyone's puppet. What do you guys think? They're getting a little carried away with this IMO.

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

Let's be clear. He's right, you are not. If everybody wears a mask the entire epidemic would be over in a few weeks. Of course, as long as some people think they are smarter and can do whatever they want there will be thousands more deaths and millions more infections.

People like you who are unwilling to listen to common sense are the main reason why this has spread so far.

At what point do you say "hey this is a little ridiculous."? I mean come on. You're gonna fine me 1000 for stepping outside my door? At work it's one thing, I'm an essential worker, (or so they say) I get the idea of not wanting to spread a sickness but is not right to give the "Free" American people no choice in this matter. It's like telling me what to wear when I'm off work. You don't see it that way, and that's fine do whatever, just my opinion.

Considering that New York is the biggest Corona hotspot in the world right now, I think some extreme measures are justified.

More than 10000 dead are *NOT* funny!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

Considering that New York is the biggest Corona hotspot in the world right now, I think some extreme measures are justified.

More than 10000 dead are *NOT* funny!

First of all I never said it was funny. But I think that NYC being one of the densest populations in the world is a HIGHLY contributing factor. I understand that people HAVE died over this. But I don't think that means EVERYONE  is going to. I don't touch people I don't cough all over things in public. What more do people want. I'm just a human like everyone else.

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

There's a countrywide face mask policy here with similar fine enforcement and everybody here approves of that, because we're not that retarded just yet.

Coronavirus may take our lives, but it'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

10 minutes ago, j4rio said:

There's a countrywide face mask policy here with similar fine enforcement and everybody here approves of that, because we're not that retarded just yet.

The only reason why they haven't done that here in Germany yet is because there's still a shortage on masks, but it is "strongly recommended" to wear one when shopping or using public transportation. And I am fairly certain that the vast majority of citizens approves.

20 minutes ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

So to any Doomers out there who also live in the state of New York, what do you think of Cuomo's mandatory public face mask policy? To be enforced with a 1000 dollar fine. I don't know about you but I'm NOT wearing a mask whenever I leave my house. What is this Nazi Germany? Kiss my ass. I'm an American citizen. If they wanna kick me out of a store then that's fine I'll take my business somewhere else. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. but they will literally have to call the police, hold me down and strap it on if they want me to wear it and even that's not gonna happen without a fight I'll tell you right now. What are they gonna do arrest me over it? . I'm not anyone's puppet. What do you guys think? They're getting a little carried away with this IMO.

From what I understand, New York has the highest number of cases. I could be out of date on that, but that's what I've heard anyway. I hear that the main reason the virus took hold there so quickly was partly due to a select few of the city's political types basically trying to encourage people to go out on the town in New York itself, or visit chinatown. The latter certainly seems to have been more to do with the mentality of "It's not racist to say it comes from China, but let's all gather together in chinatown just to make sure nobody thinks we might be." A stupid thing to do, given the virus was already wreaking havoc in the european continent. Had the people in charge of New York actually gotten their fingers out and locked things down, things wouldn't be as they are. But there you go. Everyone's got to do their part to help this along.

Measures such as mandatory masks should have been implemented far sooner in my opinion, given the nature of the virus. It's not guaranteed cure-all by any means, but if you take any little precautions like this you stand to cut down the number of infected quite a lot. Me personally, I wear one. I work in public transport and was doing so for about 3 weeks before they implemented lockdown here in Britain and finally told us to stop coming into work. I'm at risk of catching enough as it is, but given my elderly father's putting me up while the missus and I sort out buying a place, I'm taking no chances giving it to someone who will almost certainly be killed by it. Apart from that, combined with my black beanie and typically dark clothing, waiting in line at the shops looking like some manner of urban ninja is actually pretty funny. I just need some sunshine as an excuse to put sunglasses on next!

As for the OP, I'm gonna have to agree with Graf. Your post makes you sound like a pouting adolescent more than anything. "Wahhh! I don't wanna wear a mask. It's so uncool. Nobody tells me what to do, etc, etc." Don't take this as word from one of a bleeding-hearted sort. I'm not one of those sad morons here in Britain who goes out and claps or bangs pots at their front door at 8pm every night to thank the NHS, (really. Sad I know.), but try having a bit of empathy once in a while. People are nervous, so swallow your childish attitude, your pride, and stick a mask on.

Wow it's been a while since I posted....

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ninja_of_DooM said:

Your post makes you sound like a pouting adolescent more than anything. "Wahhh! I don't wanna wear a mask. It's so uncool. Nobody tells me what to do, etc, etc."

So be it.

Whining about personal freedoms on the internet is becoming really annoying, and this thread is a troll. We already have a thread about COVID, did you know that?

I guess living in a cramped apartment in the big noisy polluted city for too long makes anyone mad. I wouldn't know, because I fled in time with my family to the countryside. But I guess it can be kept in control by exercising more often, so you don't feel like you sit still too long.

Posted (edited)

I'd love to live in the country side. But I live in a small city about 50 miles from Buffalo. BTW I'm not trolling I'm 100 percent serious.

Why is this even an issue? Just put on a mask, especially now that you've mentioned that your an essential worker and are at risk of spreading or contracting the disease. This whole "I'm an American, No one tells me what to do" attitude i not only extremely selfish and close minded, but is also one of the reasons why the US has been hit so hard. 

Again, why is this an issue? Why not put on a mask if it can help reduce the curve? Is it because the government told you to? It just baffles me why this is even an issue in the first place, being told to put on a mask to help reduce the spread of extremely contagious virus is comparable to Nazi Germany? Seriously?!

You seem to think being required to wear a mask is an insult, but I think you should look at it differently.

If you were asked (nicely), "please wear a mask, we need your help to try to save the lives of your neighbors and co-workers; we can't take any chances right now and things are looking grim," then I'm sure you would wear one out of courtesy to others.

Now suppose you come across someone who is not wearing a mask. You could yell at them, but your words have no force. Violence is not permitted. Your attempts to shame them are ignored, because they don't care what you think. They could even be hurting others, and they don't care.

The order is intended to correct the behavior of the thoughtless person, not the thoughtful one.

Yes, you are probably a thoughtful person and don't require such an order to do your part. Unfortunately orders are clumsy and can't distinguish who needs them and who doesn't.

And if you fall into the thoughtless category, perhaps you should reflect on why you would risk hurting others who did nothing to you.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Doominator2 said:

Why is this even an issue? Just put on a mask, especially now that you've mentioned that your an essential worker and are at risk of spreading or contracting the disease. This whole "I'm an American, No one tells me what to do" attitude i not only extremely selfish and close minded, but is also one of the reasons why the US has been hit so hard. 

Again, why is this an issue? Why not put on a mask if it can help reduce the curve? Is it because the government told you to? It just baffles me why this is even an issue in the first place, being told to put on a mask to help reduce the spread of extremely contagious virus is comparable to Nazi Germany? Seriously?!

I have no problem with wearing it at my job, but when im off the clock that my time. And what I mean by Nazi Germany is that taking away people's basic freedoms is the start of a dictatorship. An exaggeration for sure but I'm just sayin.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JadingTsunami said:

You seem to think being required to wear a mask is an insult, but I think you should look at it differently.

If you were asked (nicely), "please wear a mask, we need your help to try to save the lives of your neighbors and co-workers; we can't take any chances right now and things are looking grim," then I'm sure you would wear one out of courtesy to others.

Now suppose you come across someone who is not wearing a mask. You could yell at them, but your words have no force. Violence is not permitted. Your attempts to shame them are ignored, because they don't care what you think. They could even be hurting others, and they don't care.

The order is intended to correct the behavior of the thoughtless person, not the thoughtful one.

Yes, you are probably a thoughtful person and don't require such an order to do your part. Unfortunately orders are clumsy and can't distinguish who needs them and who doesn't.

And if you fall into the thoughtless category, perhaps you should reflect on why you would risk hurting others who did nothing to you.

I don't want to hurt anyone. I'm just terrified for my own peace of mind as anyone else is. I know how serious this is and I know that people are dying and I'm sorry for anyone's loss or if I offended anyone who has lost anyone. But where I;m coming from is, do you see someone without a mask and your first thought is "what an asshole?". Probably not. At least I hope. I want everyone to be ok I dont wish misery on anyone im just as worried as anybody but you have to take a stand somewhere.

7 minutes ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

I don't want to hurt anyone. I'm just terrified for my own peace of mind as anyone else is. I know how serious this is and I know that people are dying and I'm sorry for anyone's loss or if I offended anyone who has lost anyone. But where I;m coming from is, do you see someone without a mask and your first thought is "what an asshole?". Probably not. At least I hope. I want everyone to be ok I dont wish misery on anyone im just as worried as anybody but you have to take a stand somewhere.

That's fine, but man, wearing masks is a bare minimum to stop such a highly contagious disease, if you truly care about others then you'd take these basic security measures to not infect people or get infected. You say you're fine wearing them at work but not when you are in public, so are you truly thinking about others? You're exposing both yourself and the others to the virus that way.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Senor500 said:

That's fine, but man, wearing masks is a bare minimum to stop such a highly contagious disease, if you truly care about others then you'd take these basic security measures to not infect people or get infected. You say you're fine wearing them at work but not when you are in public, so are you truly thinking about others? You're exposing both yourself and the others to the virus that way.

I understand that but this just REALLY freaks me the hell out.

2 hours ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

I have no problem with wearing it at my job, but when im off the clock that my time. And what I mean by Nazi Germany is that taking away people's basic freedoms is the start of a dictatorship. An exaggeration for sure but I'm just sayin.

Nazi Germany is that taking away people's basic freedoms is the start of a dictatorship.

That scaleted quickly.

Wearing a mask is not the same as wearing a uniform, or a ''badge''. The mask is both for your safety and others, the mask itself is not the whole cure, social isolation plays a bigger part on that, yet, if you have to go outside for something important, the mask is the least you can do to show that you care both for you and others.

This American obsession with minor freedoms over literally life itself will never cease to amaze me. Your government should have done this and much more a lot earlier.

If you're not willing to protect public health yourself, the government will step in.

1 minute ago, Tony_Danza_the_boss said:

Lol sorry we ruined your safe space for you snowflake. 

Maybe Reddit would be a less triggering forum for you to frequent?

Nice 2014 era Sargon viewer vocab there. You showed him.

As a Doomer living in New York, I agree with it. New York state alone has more cases than any country in the world. Like you said, NYC has a hugely dense population. Hence these kind of policies enacted are even more crucial, and will help save more lives than anywhere else, and help relieve an already overstressed healthcare system, which is far more important than anything else.

Any kind of face covering complies with the policy. It really isn't that inconvenient.

Posted (edited)

Most asian countries managed to quickly control the spread of Covid-19. Even if you don't believe China's numbers, there is still South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Japan, Thailand, the Philipines, etc. Now if you look closely you can see three main differences in those countries:

1) They almost all have experience with SARS.

2) They are mostly not "ME"-centric societies, instead focusing more on "the greater whole".

3) Wearing a mask is ubiquitous.

This undoubtedly helped them this time. Biggest impact is probably their previous experience with SARS, which lead to a range of policies after 2003 helping governments to act quicker and more focused regarding the curb of the virus. But numbers 2) and 3) have been important as well, imho. In China there were at no point ever people saying "Ah well, it just kills old people?!", because guess what, everyone has old people in his immediate family. Often they are living together and it wouldn't even occur to most people, to risk infection of their parents. Wearing a mask is also ubiquitous here and while the science on the efficacy of those masks is not 100 % clear in one way or the other, if somebody sneezes a couple of meters away from you, you're gonna wish he'd be wearing a mask and you'd be wearing a mask, believe me.

https://wearafuckingmask.com/  (if you can buy some that is)

Please check out this website, leave your first-world-priviledge at the door and just once in your life think of others by making a tiny, tiny concession in your daily routine.

Edited by elend

6 hours ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

What do you guys think?

I think people with your view of things are the reason why the USA will have far more deaths than the rest of the world put together and become an international pariah state, whose citizens won't be allowed into other countries until there is a vaccine, and possibly well beyond that point.

Posted (edited)

Not a New Yorker, but Pennsylvania governor Tom Wolf made the same statement. I have no problem with it. I'm laid off, chillin, and wear a surgical mask when I have to go in public, which is rare. Cotton masks do nothing. Is it really that difficult? Is it really infringing on MUH FREEDOM that much? No. People are dying. My sister has a baby on the way. It would be selfish of me not to care. It's not that drastic of a change from my normal life, honestly. I've also saved a shit ton of money. This could be a wake up call.

I got added to a Facebook group earlier called Pennsylvanians Against Excessive Quarantine. It's just a bunch of dumbass tinfoil hat boomers blaming democrats for everything. I just don't get it.

Edited by lazy91geek

I’m all for personal freedoms, restricting the powers of government etc. but such freedoms always needs to be balanced against the rights of others. My view is that when your actions begin to negatively affect the rights (or safety) of others, that’s where personal freedoms should stop.

In a time of large scale pandemic when not taking such precautions might be a liability to others, the requirement to wear face masks does not seem unreasonable. In my mind this is no different to requiring people to follow the rules of the road or not drive under the influence. Yes those things impact your personal freedoms but the small losses of personal choice in those cases is balanced by a much greater good. This it could be argued is another one of these cases - though hopefully only very temporary.

1 hour ago, lazy91geek said:

Cotton masks do nothing

They do one thing at least. Preventing an infected wearer's sneezing from infecting others. So they are better than nothing.

1 hour ago, lazy91geek said:

I got added to a Facebook group earlier called Pennsylvanians Against Excessive Quarantine. It's just a bunch of dumbass tinfoil hat boomers blaming democrats for everything. I just don't get it.

Welcome to the Retarded States of America.

try not to kill everybody around you in the name of liberty lol

my only question is where do the masks come from?? like where do you get them? in teh uk we're advised to basically only have one shopping trip a week and it's not like you can get them in the supermarket

Posted (edited)

Just don't be a cunt, it's pretty simple. Wear a mask, adhere to social distancing and don't hang out with people outside your personal bubble.

I’m all for personal freedoms, restricting the powers of government etc. but such freedoms always needs to be balanced against the rights of others. My view is that when your actions begin to negatively affect the rights (or safety) of others, that’s where personal freedoms should stop.

100% Your personal rights stop when they start infringing on the rights of others. It's like how the right to free speech doesn't extend to shouting FIRE in a crowded theater.

Edit: I empathize with @Dubbagdarrel in that this shit really is freaky. It's very surreal and uncomfortable being in public at the moment. At my closest store (I'm in NZ) only 5 or so people are allowed in at a time. You have to queue outside and there are markers every 2m so you know how far away to stand. You also need to sanitize your hands before and after visiting the shop (they have a bottle there).

At the same time you need to try to chill out enough that you can act responsibly. It's a scary time but we all need to work together to get it sorted.

Edited by xvertigox