Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foebane72

Your age and difficulty setting when or if you completed Doom Eternal?

8 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

Why does the platform matter? I guess cos controller is harder than K+M?

I've heard that console players can't swap their weapons as quickly as those on PC. Something which is bound to make fighting the Marauder that little bit harder.

On 4/20/2020 at 9:05 AM, NoXion said:

I've heard that console players can't swap their weapons as quickly as those on PC. Something which is bound to make fighting the Marauder that little bit harder.

I's also way trickier to aim and the dash default button takes your thumb from the right joystick so you can't turn at the same time.

pc

finished 100% on ultra violence 1st run

currently on urdak nightmare diff

beaten both master levels on nightmare

my son who is 19 is currently on ultra nightmare last level

we both never dropped difficulty

First run beat the game on UV, did a NM live run that got as far as when you first get the Crucible, followed by finishing Nightmare in general. And although it took me a few resets and a lot of practice runs in my normal Nightmare game, I have finally beaten the campaign on Ultra Nightmare.

Nightmare

PC

Completed

Currently trying a minimalist run on Nightmare.

On 4/17/2020 at 3:36 PM, Foebane72 said:

This is kind of a sequel to that thread I started months ago asking about everyone's age, which I asked back then in relation to Doom Eternal, but was far too early from release so it was seen as Off-Topic (fair enough).

So, now I'm asking everyone's age that they were when they played (and/or completed) Doom Eternal, and what difficulty setting you started off with and did you have to lower it?

I'll go first:

- I was (am) 47 when I played Doom Eternal.

- I didn't complete it yet (and may not).

- I started at ITYTD.

- Couldn't lower it further.

Your turn :)

15, started on nightmare, ended on nightmare.

23, UV

Finished the game without ever using the Super Shotgun's Meat hook (outside of the Khan Maykr boss fight), and haven't used the Freeze Bombs at all. the only two mods I ended up using were the Combat Shotgun's Sticky Bombs and the Heavy Cannon's Precision bolt, either because I didn't find uses for them or I just felt comfortable with the default setup.

The game felt far less repetitive than Doom 2016, swimming puzzles, climbing puzzles, timing puzzles, even the arenas themselves try to change things up by introducing buff totems, arch-viles and maykr drones to prioritize to keep you on your toes so it never gets anywhere near as stale as the first game. The Marauder played like a mini waiting game, you kill every other enemy in the arena before taking him 1-on-1, keep a small distance away from him and spam dash until his eyes flash green, once you run out of ammo you just chainsaw nearby fodder.

Now all that's left is those tedious Events and Battle Mode, I'm not a completionist so I don't feel compelled to revisit levels and 'explore', too exhausted to replay any of it right now so I'll keep a look out for those DLCs, It's not as easy to pick up and play as the first game as it takes some getting used to before you really get into it, If you abandon it for a few days and return to it you might feel a little rusty so it's definitely not for everyone, but it managed to remain engaging all the way up to the end, just when you start thinking you've seen all what the game has to offer it introduces a new mechanic or a new enemy to change things up a bit, quite a feat.

Edited by sluggard

28, I did a playthrough on ITYTD/HMP, 2 on UV, and one on Nightmare.

I briefly liked the game quite a lot, but my lasting impression is 'meh.' The levels were ultra linear, and they seemed to double down on the things I didn't like about 2016- the chainsaw/glory kill system, the a.i. crowding behavior, the slow running speed, and the very samey mindless arena battles. Plus the shift from playing as 'some nobody in a hopeless situation' to 'a demigod in an epic high-fantasy war' lost a lot of Doom's charm for me. I also don't understand why they bothered implementing the enemy weakpoint system when 80% of the combat is best dealt with by quickswitching SSG/Ballista.

Really disappointed by the lack of deathmatch too- Doom 2 DM was my favorite thing ever, and it feels like a slap in the face since id/Bethesda/Saber let Quake Champions die in early access.

37. So i already posted about my UV run but i completed a Nightmare run on PS4, still no praetor armor use.

Still doubt i'll ever try UN with a controller.

still the youngest on Doomworld! if you want my age, go to the first thread!

haven't gotten the game yet. I'm waiting till the end of this whole thing, also I need to finish DOOM 4. 

27, started the game on Hurt Me Plenty. Got my ass handed to me and bumped it down it ITYTD. Contemplating a UV or nightmare run. 

I finished it on Ultra Violence, lowering it only once during Cultist Base

Doing a full Nightmare run, using the Sentinel Armor only once during the Gladiator Fight

XBOX

4 hours ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Is Doom Eternal's Nightmare as hard as Classic Doom games' Nighmare?

No.

Ultra-Nightmare is a better comparison for difficulty with its permadeath mechanic. But even then, there are no hitscanners, fast enemy reactions, or respawning enemies.

Completed within a week after it was released.
Nightmare on my first run, without compass or tutorials

I haven't tried the lowest difficulties, but Nightmare is well balanced IMO so there's no need.

I am 62 yrs young

I've beaten it on HMP and UV so far

I've completed 8 missions on my current Nightmare run

Haven't had to lower difficulty on any run, I don't expect to on this one

Will I try Ultra Nightmare mode? Not likely, permadeath modes have never been my thing.

I am making a video series showcasing how to beat it on Nightmare without elite tactics like...

1. Lightning fast quick switching of multiple weapons

2. Ballista Boost, and other hard platforming tricks

3. Difficult aerial combat, and lightning quick headshots.

It's to debunk the myth that you need elite skills and the reflexes and dexterity of a teenager to beat it on Nightmare. Beating this game on tough modes is as much or more about knowing basic strats as it is about mad skills. It's still challenging, just not in a "I can't do this cuz I'm too old" kind of way.

18 years

This was on PC

Completed it on UV Max on the first playthrough

Straight after I completed UN at any % just to get the gold skin (its kinda lame ngl)

46.  Nightmare. Xbox One X.

Just completed yesterday.

Took 3 1/2 months averaging about 45min per day (married with kid!).

Note: I accidentally selected the sentinel shield option for the very first encounter with the single doom hunter and immediately got through the battle with it the first time, but but then permanently turned it off for the 2nd stage two doom hunter battle (which took a week, like several battles!) and the rest of the game.

I always play shooters in "hardest" difficulty (not including difficulties that affect saving ability and such... Only moment to moment difficult like health levels, etc...) and this if the hardest shooter in 20 years of playing them.

Thought several times that it would be impossible, so this is a huge relief.

Also, I admit that I shamelessly scoured any strategy guide online that I thought could help, but few did.  Not really my play style.  With one notable exception: the marauder!  Couldn't get through that without a tip I saw.

Edited by DingoAteMyBaby

31 years old. Completed my first playthrough on Nightmare difficulty on PC.

Hurt Me Plenty - 34.

Finished the story but still not 100%ed all the items because me and the game had a falling out.

Age 30, finished the game. May or may not have completed it (might be some things I missed, can't remember now), but pretty sure I got all the toys, upgrades, records and cheats, and definitely bagged the Unmakyr.

Went in on UV thinking this would be about as hard as 2016, and was quickly shown the error of that assumption. Stuck with the mode to the end though, and had a blast along the way. Conquering the Doom Hunter and Marauder fights after multiple tries count as real highlights of the experience.