Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr.S Retro

Marauder In (Almost) Vanilla Doom!

Hello Doomguys, Slayers and Marines!

Today I present to you the Marauder from doom eternal brought into (almost) vanilla doom.

This mod should run on anything but chocolate doom and dos (it uses extended DeHackEd).

It was tested on LZDoom3.8.4 .

Also If anyone knows of or has marauder sprites I would happily add them to the the mod.

Here's a link to the test map.

!download here!

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20200418_002711.png.2b42914cdaa7cce9655400889ee9ad1f.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200418_002739.png.13708ba8d7efe85a44c4f1f16fb5a005.png

Edited by Oppo1021

On 4/15/2020 at 10:16 PM, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Yes, with some state swapping trickery (which will be difficult to explain and will be a bit hard to execute). In theory you can even recreate Marauder's "shield chase - green eye" using this.

I did it

Interesting but running this in GZDoom and he kept 'shooting' at me under his shield and he was doing no damage. Also seems to pop up some sort of invisible shield infront of my face that blocks my projectiles. 

Interesting but running this in GZDoom and he kept 'shooting' at me under his shield and he was doing no damage

due to how the shield works he cannot harm you while his shield is up, but he does attack with 2x shotgun blasts at once when he lowers his shield.

Just now, Oppo1021 said:

due to how the shield works he cannot harm you while his shield is up, but he does attack with 2x shotgun blasts at once when he lowers his shield.

I understand that but... this is weird

Just now, tgawt said:

I understand that but... this is weird

From what your video shows, You have the worst luck, I never saw his eyes go green(25% chance)

There are some people (ThrashMetalFanBert comes to my mind first, but his stuff are usually WIP; and anyone who worked on New Doom conversion mods) have Marauder sprites. Maybe you could try contacting them.

Also what enemy does this replace?

Just now, TheNoob_Gamer said:

There are some people (ThrashMetalFanBert comes to my mind first, but his stuff are usually WIP; and anyone who worked on New Doom conversion mods) have Marauder sprites. Maybe you could try contacting them.

Also what enemy does this replace?

Archvile, only enemy that seemed to be an equal.

12 minutes ago, Oppo1021 said:

Hmm. Pretty jank as far as I can tell - zombie soldier sharing sprites and attack with an archvile? Quick tested on Crispy Doom (2), map11 by the way.

Also, Extended Dehacked only compatibles with Doom Retro and Crispy Doom (and MBF to like state 1099), so perhaps that's why @tgawt is encountering issues.

Just now, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Hmm. Pretty jank as far as I can tell - zombie soldier sharing sprites and attack with an archvile?

Also, Extended Dehacked only compatibles with Doom Retro and Crispy Doom (and MBF to like state 1099), so perhaps that's why @tgawt is encountering issues.

I had It running perfectly in LZDoom and the archvile fire is the marauder's shield.

34 minutes ago, Oppo1021 said:

Wouldn't it be better(and possible?) to replace the SS Nazi instead of the Archvile so if you want mappers to still use the Archvile for their maps?

Just now, Philnemba said:

Wouldn't it be better(and possible?) to replace the SS Nazi instead of the Archvile so if you want mappers to still use the Archvile for their maps?

Didn't consider that but,

9 minutes ago, Oppo1021 said:

the archvile fire is the marauder's shield.

extracted all the voices to see if I could rip some voice lines, they're in random order and have no indication of their contents

563434733_Screenshot(639).png.07ec95f39805c0fd3ffc18d4ba84a28f.png

So it would require MBF dehacked, but you can have the Marauder continually spawn an invisible actor that is only slightly larger than the Marauder itself, that acts as it's shield. Then when it attacks with its swing just don't have the shield spawn.

This probably would defeat the purpose but you could try modifying BOOM or MBF's source code or something to make the new enemy but that would probably defeat the purpose since you're trying to pull this off using the original unmodified code in a form that everyone can access through a good share of source ports and whatnot. I was going to make a project using a fork of the MBF source code but I can't find a version of DJGPP for my Linux distro of choice, Manjaro Linux for some reason in any of the repositories.

@Mryayayify Magnificent! I love the lo-fi sound effects based on his original SFX as well. They sound like they are played through a Sega Saturn (one of my favorite consoles, despite its inferior audio handling).

On 4/18/2020 at 5:47 AM, Oppo1021 said:

vanilla doom

On 4/18/2020 at 5:47 AM, Oppo1021 said:

This mod should run on anything but chocolate doom and dos

On 5/9/2020 at 12:53 PM, doomsucksass said:

You caught me! I will change the thread's name tho.

On 5/9/2020 at 12:59 AM, Mryayayify said:

Hey folks, I made classic marauder sprites and sounds if you want to use them.

Link to Sprites: https://www.deviantart.com/mryayayify/art/ZDOOM-Sprite-Sheet-Classicized-Marauder-830274822

Sounds:

Will be sure to update with this!

On 4/18/2020 at 8:13 AM, Btyb88 said:

So it would require MBF dehacked, but you can have the Marauder continually spawn an invisible actor that is only slightly larger than the Marauder itself, that acts as it's shield. Then when it attacks with its swing just don't have the shield spawn.

Will try to implement this!

On 5/8/2020 at 4:26 AM, Lynnie said:

This probably would defeat the purpose but you could try modifying BOOM or MBF's source code or something to make the new enemy but that would probably defeat the purpose since you're trying to pull this off using the original unmodified code in a form that everyone can access through a good share of source ports and whatnot. I was going to make a project using a fork of the MBF source code but I can't find a version of DJGPP for my Linux distro of choice, Manjaro Linux for some reason in any of the repositories.

I'm not a "coder" and my intent is to make this playable on most source ports so this is not happening.

On Doom Retro, the "Marauder" never does his "green eyes" phase. On Crispy Doom, he behaves like a normal archvile.

Just now, JXC said:

On Doom Retro, the "Marauder" never does his "green eyes" phase. On Crispy Doom, he behaves like a normal archvile.

I will also completely rewrite the .Deh Patch and hopefully iron out the bugs.