Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WowozuelaSpammer

Any fun and enjoyable wads you are playing?

I've been really intrested in modding Doom 2 lately (maybe because i completed Doom 2 yesterday) so i am looking for wads that i can enjoy.

I've been playing: ɘxtreme weapons pack, Reelism, Brutal Doom and Too many super shotguns. Any mods similar to those? 

9 minutes ago, meganium_menagerie said:

btsx1 is good shit and 2 has also been good so far, although they keep kicking my ass up and down the block

Can you tell me about that "btsx1"?

8 hours ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

Can you tell me about that "btsx1"?

Back to Saturn X Episode 1 - Get out of My Station is one of the best things that happened to Doom modding community in the last 10 or so years. For more suffer to every mapper soul, the maps are made with vanilla limitations in mind. And even with that limitations, mapset is beyond good with a complet set of new textures that take thing out of scope.
And you wkno what is better?
Back to Saturn X Episode 2 - Tower in the Fountain of Sparks push the limits further but still is in debuggin state, and there is a Back to Saturn X Episode 3 in the making.
So, yeah, you need to try them.

Similar megawads are:
TNT: Revilution, with not the same cosmetic power as BTSX because there are some stock textures here and there, but also pretty good gameplay and neat continuation to TNT: Evilution, and yep, this is also made with vanilla limits. For TNT.wad
Struggle: Antaresian Legacy is a limit removing megawad for Doom 2. This one is a partial conversion, so play t without gameplay mods or you will brake it. And spect your sorry arse to be kicekd plenty and more.

Eviternity is a MBF compatible megawad. You can play it in gzdoom without problem and it is the first megawad to use OTEX a porwerfull and very versatile texture set. Not gameplay mod compatible, though. Aside from that, here are some of the best maps you could ever play. Also hard as balls.

If you just completed Doom 2, i highly recommend you to check Doom 2 sequel, ''Final Doom'' that is two separated megawads: TNT - Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment

Edited by P41R47

11 hours ago, P41R47 said:

If you just completed Doom 2, i highly recommend you to check Doom 2 sequel, ''Final Doom'' that is two separated megawads: TNT - Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment

I aren't a big fan of paying for wads that aren't made by id software

1 hour ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

Then you're simply missing out much of fun content. Final Doom was approved by id software. Here's Master Levels, No Rest for The Living, Doom64, Playstation Doom and tons of user created maps, homages to id software originals through 26 years... 

This is my reason for disliking Evilution, and Final Doom:

Evilution - TeamTNT

Evilution, as many Doomers know, was a TeamTNT creation which was postponed a scant few hours before its scheduled release when John Romero emailed the authors asking about a publishing deal. TeamTNT said yes, and one-half of Final Doom was instantly born. What most of them don't know, however, was the controversy that swelled up following this announcement. In late 1995, the hub of Doom discussion was on the Usenet newsgroups, and a quick traipse through Google shows that after the "PR coordinator" for TeamTNT released the news that Evilution was postponed and possibly to be commercialized, a massive flamewar broke loose. The online Doom community was fairly small compared to the game communities of today, and the posts that followed showed Doomers splitting into two camps: those who were delighted that amateur WAD authors were going pro, and those who derided the group as "sellouts" and "liars." The controversy quickly died down, but the scars still remain. (Not really.) (Ling)

Source: https://www.doomworld.com/10years/bestwads/infamous.php

Even if you skip TNT for whatever reason, I'd still give Plutonia a try, starting with the difficulty dialed down.

edit: also I might have missed but I haven't seen Ancient Aliens mentioned, another top-tier doom wad of late (and other skillsaw hits, Valiant and Lunatic)

This is my reason for disliking Evilution, and Final Doom:

Evilution - TeamTNT

Evilution, as many Doomers know, was a TeamTNT creation which was postponed a scant few hours before its scheduled release when John Romero emailed the authors asking about a publishing deal. TeamTNT said yes, and one-half of Final Doom was instantly born. What most of them don't know, however, was the controversy that swelled up following this announcement. In late 1995, the hub of Doom discussion was on the Usenet newsgroups, and a quick traipse through Google shows that after the "PR coordinator" for TeamTNT released the news that Evilution was postponed and possibly to be commercialized, a massive flamewar broke loose. The online Doom community was fairly small compared to the game communities of today, and the posts that followed showed Doomers splitting into two camps: those who were delighted that amateur WAD authors were going pro, and those who derided the group as "sellouts" and "liars." The controversy quickly died down, but the scars still remain. (Not really.) (Ling)

Source: https://www.doomworld.com/10years/bestwads/infamous.php

3 hours ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

You should play it for yourself before making any judgment. If John Romero and Id team approved this two megawads, they made it for a reason. And who are we, gamers and fan, to disapprove what they liked? Are you saying that you don't like them because they are sell outs? Come on, boy! What would you do if you are a mapper and the creator of your favorite game call you and offers you the possibility of makingyour own megawad ''official''?

And that ''controversy'' was something that happened a lot time ago, i was a kid when that happened, and team TNT, in a way apologizing for making Evilution paid, they make Icarus: Alien Vanguard a free variant to Evilution, and i might say, a little bit better. Not that Evilution is bad, it opened a new way of mapping to all the modding scene. Before Evilution and Plutonia Experiment all maps were, in some kind of way, similar in design to what Id did, but this two megawads opened people minds to new possibilities. No body think about a large and extremelly moody map before, or a map that is one way and then another after you found a secret portal, or a map that is on the first slots of the mapset but is harder than anymap made before it. There are a lot of content new and creative in this two megawads.

As a doomer since twenty four years ago, i can tell you, this two megawads are far better than what Id did. Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 are the base for the better to come; Evilution and Plutonia followed that same premise.
Evilution being more moody and atmospheric, kinda adventure-like, similar to Ultimate Doom. And Plutonia was made for experience players, those who wanted a bigger challenge, a challenge Doom 2 in UV was lacking.

Team TNT members, the central figures of this ''controversy'' because of their actions, are know as today as some of the must beloved figures of the Doom community, and some are around here, working in community projects and making maps and music for their beloved game. They contributed more than anybody to the Doom community, creating the main sourceport from what all modern sourceports where born: Boom. One dearly figure of team TNT pass away a few years ago. Ty Halderman was fundamental on mantaining IDgames going and active. And when he pass away, god bless him, the community reunite to make a megawad in his honor.
So talking about the past things without knowing the present means nothing. Doom 's world community is cemented in those four megawads: Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, TNT - Evilution, and The Plutonia Experiment.

I dont want to convince you or anything, but really, you should try them yourself before making any judgment. Not only this, you should try everything you stumble ipon in your life before making a valid judgment..

12 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

You should play it for yourself before making any judgement. If John Romero and Id team approved this two megawads, they made it for a reason. And who are we, gamers and fan, to disapprove what they liked? Are you saying that you don't like them because they are sell outs? Come on, boy! What would you do if you are a mapper and the creator of your favorite game call you and offers you the possibility of makingyour own megawad ''official''?

And that ''controversy'' was something that happened a lot time ago, i was a kid when that happened, and team TNT, in a way apologizing for making Evilution paid, they make Icarus: Alien Vanguard a free variant to Evilution, and i might say, a little bit better. Not that Evilution is bad, it opened a new way of mapping to all the modding scene. Before Evilution and Plutonia Experiment all maps were, in some kind of way, similar in design to what Id did, but this two megawads opened people minds to new possibilities. No body think about a large and extremelly moody map before, or a map that is one way and then another after you found a secret portal, or a map that is on the first slots of the mapset but is harder than anymap made before it. There are a lot of content new and creative in this two megawads.

As a doomer since twenty four years ago, i can tell you, this two megawads are far better than what Id did. Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 are the base for the better to come; Evilution and Plutonia followed that same premise.
Evilution being more moody and atmospheric, kinda adventure-like, similar to Ultimate Doom. And Plutonia was made for experience players, those who wanted a bigger challenge, a challenge Doom 2 in UV was lacking.

Team TNT members, the central figures of this ''controversy'' because of their actions, are know as today as some of the must beloved figures of the Doom community, and some are around here, working in community projects and making maps and music for their beloved game. They contributed more than anybody to the Doom community, creating the main sourceport from what all modern sourceports where born: Boom. One dearly figure of team TNT pass away a few years ago. Ty Halderman was fundamental on mantaining IDgames going and active. And when he pass away, god bless him, the community reunite to make a megawad in his honor.
So talking about the past things without knowing the present means nothing. Doom 's world community is cemented in those four megawads: Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, TNT - Evilution, and The Plutonia Experiment.

I dont want to convince you or anything, but really, you should try them yourself before making any judgement. Not only this, everything in your life.

So you say that i also should download The Sky May Be and wow just because the waves of rage were a long time ago?

16 minutes ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

So you say that i also should download The Sky May Be and wow just because the waves of rage were a long time ago?

Way to miss the point...

57 minutes ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

You completely missed the point, pal!
''The sky may be'' and ''wow'' are infamous for completely different reasons. One for the simplicity of the content, and the other one for being too much different to the original game.
What you read in that page its something written as an anecdote, as a peculiarity of the doom community around the world, not because they are forbiden or are bad to your PC or something nasty (but if you try Imp Encounter you will likely never unseen it, and thats not something bad).
''Terry wads'' are infamous for their low quality, and so they are neglecdet as jokes and something of bad humor.
Same as ''Wow'', it was deemed as a crap by then, and everybody rage at it because they downloaded it for like 10 minutes, because internet in tht time was very, very slow, and they just only found a crap room without details and just a cyberdemon on a hole of mirrors.
''The sky may be'', on the other hand is an artistic work, its redefines what an interactive experience means, some like it, some not, and most of the ones that don't like it, deemed it as a joke.
About TNT, some people feel that they were sell outs because the team already said they would relese the wad for free, but then Romero comes into the game. And thats it, for some people team TNT were honored, for some they just were lucky,  and for other people, team TNT were sell outs. Why? for different reasons, they doesn't keep their words about being free, envy for not being them offered that possibility, who knows? That stupid controversy ended when the megawad hits the streets and the final product was deemed fun, entertaining, challenging and pretty innovative.

Again, try them yourself, maybe you will like them, maybe you don't, and thats the beautiful of life, to discover it by yourself.

1. wow.wad takes like 3 seconds to play.

2. The Sky May Be is a lot of fun, especially if you enjoy abstract settings, even if you have to cheat through a few parts.

Just play TNT and Plutonia and see for yourself if you like them. I personally dislike TNT, but that doesn't (and SHOULDN'T) mean you need to avoid it. Liking something is purely subjective, so don't fall back on the "popular" opinion.

As for fanmade WADs, I suggest some of skillsaw's WADs such as Vanguard (IMO, the best WAD ever made), Valiant and Ancient Aliens (the latter two are considerably tougher than the first, but still very enjoyable in their own rights).

For the classics, check out Memento Mori and Requiem. Hell Revealed gets tough by the Map13 mark, but it has its fun moments.

For more modern-looking (yet old) WADs, Alien Vendetta is a must-play, as is Scythe (very short, and only gets hard in the last third). Scythe 2 is way harder (and not one I'm a big fan of), but you may find a lot to extract from it.

There's also the NOVA series (I'm actually currently replaying the first one), a megawad composed of maps from newbies and/or inexperienced mappers. An interesting set of maps, IMO.

Oh yes, as a coda: before you say that some of these are known for difficulty, remember: skill settings are there for a reason.

You should check out that Lost Civilization mapset. The maps look amazing. Not quite as fantastical and surreal as Eviternity, but there are some really cool, realistic looking levels. The tourism mod with Lost Civilization is very nice to use if you want to be able to walk around the levels without those pesky hellspawn lurking around.

I created this wad. Vanilla assets. You can play it with brutal doom if you want, but I think it's better with classic doom 2 :) 

For more info that's the link: