• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
drfrag

Old versions of Doom Legacy

1 hour ago, drfrag said:

Hey, where is the legacy 1.28 source? Seems it's lost,

Might be a tricky one.  Even archive.org doesn't seem to go back far enough.  The release date was (1999-05-14) and I'm 99% sure it's on CVS if it's anywhere to be found, but I don't know if that helps at all.

Yeah it use to be readily accessible on the CVS some years ago via web browser, before source forge did their little update..

You may need to use TortoiseCVS to get it now (and hope that you don't need a password), if you're able, and yeah if it's still there.. :\

Otherwise, this is as far back as I can tell that sf is going to go with it, least there's some .29 versions there:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/doomlegacy/files/Old versions/OldFiles/

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Yeah that's the first link I looked at as well. 

There's use to be a way to browse the repo from that page but sf at some point removed it, which was probably replaced with the CVS access link, which "should" work with TortoiseCVS. ~ I've used Tortoise this way before, but I think I had to take some switches out of the link to download. ~ at the time I was looking into updating the launcher.

Looks like there's some info about converting to Git here:

https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/import/cvs.html

Looks like there's a plug-in of sorts to make this stuff happen, however it's totally new to me heh.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

I've had a look at the 1.30 source and while it would be nice to preserve that old code this wouldn't be really useful to add Boom support to Choco forks, they copied a ton of code from Boom. What would be nice is to add a minimal clean implementation of specials required to complete the maps as fabian said. The best approach probably would be to "suck" and adjust the code from Doom retro then.

On legacy itself converting the repo to Git doesn't seem an easy task.

EDIT: I have in a txt file that I was playing Legacy since 97 so maybe I have something older on my oldest comp.

I unfortunately have no source and seems the oldest Legacy I have is 1.24 from July 98.

But here's what I have on an old backup CD.  Let me know if it would be a help to upload any or all of this.

EDIT:  Best ones for testing old method water so far:

Leg12501.zip's doom3.exe (dos, using other files from Legacy24.zip) (walls look best underwater, but no under surface)

Legacy28.zip (win version named doom3.exe) (navigable with jump, has under surface but no effect on walls)

Very Slow Swimmable, has under surface but no effect on walls:  LegD128.zip, LegD129.zip, LegW129.zip, Leg29.zip

Drowned.wad with 512 floors lowered to 506 so you can jump out of water in Legacy28.zip's doom3.exe

On a newer AMD Quadcore, many win versions failed to run from the launcher but just running their exe worked.

But I had to turn music volume up from 0 to get sound effects and colors are screwed up until you start a new game each time in many versions.

files currently in hugelegacy.zip...

3dfloor.txt (just txt version of html in legacy.doc folder)

dll12.zip (Launcher.exe only)

LAUNCHER141.ZIP (Launcher.exe only)

FDoomfix (.dehs to fix level names in older Legacy)

legacyed.zip (Lumpy and doom3.wad pcx's)

doom3_wad_131c.zip (doom3.wad only)
doom3_wad_131b.zip (doom3.wad only

LEGACY24.ZIP (7/27/98) *underwater* (laggy in dosbox)

LEG12501.ZIP (v1.24 8/5/98) *Check out underwater, in either of these first two* (better in dosbox, ideal for waterlab.wad)
LEGACY25.ZIP (8/25/98)
TCPDOOM4.ZIP (10/19/98)
TCPTEST.ZIP (10/19/98 v1.23? (typo in txt file?) beta 3) duplicate of tcpdoom4.zip + another txt file?

TCPDOOM.ZIP (11/3/98)
TCPTEST5.ZIP (11/11/98 v1.26 beta 5)

LEGACY27.ZIP (12/22/98)
LEGWIN32.ZIP (3/12/99 windows version v1.28 but still named doom3.exe) *Check underwater* -can't run on my AMD QuadCore

LEGACY28.ZIP (3/22/99, win still named doom3.exe), drowned.wad is almost completely navigable with jump

LEGW128.ZIP (4/14/99 win) - Water doesn't seem to work.
LEGD128.ZIP (4/15/99, dos) *Check out water in almost any 1999.  Becomes swimmable here.  Drowned.wad fully playable.* 

LEGD129.ZIP (7/14/99 dos)  *Swimmable*
LEGW129.ZIP (7/14/99 win) *Swimmable*

LEG29.ZIP (2/19/2000 glLegacy.exe) *Swimmable*

LEG130D.ZIP (8/11/00 dos) *best for oldest 120mhz comp?* -No water

LEG130W.ZIP (8/11/00 win) *best for oldest 120mhz comp?* -No water

legacy_131xmas_win32.zip (12/24/00)

leg32b1.zip (5/8/01 11:27PM win) (duplicate)

legacy_132beta1_win32.zip (5/8/01 11:27PM) (duplicate)

legacy_132beta1_dos.zip (5/8/01)

legacy_132beta2_win32.zip (6/11/01) *Best version for "newer" 700mhz comp.  But no water*
legacy_132beta3_dos.zip (8/27/01)
legacy_132beta3_win32.zip (8/28/01)

legacy_132beta4_win32.zip (12/31/01)

legacy_132beta4_dos.zip (1/5/02)
legacy_132beta5_win32.zip (7/7/02)

legacy_140_dos.zip (9/21/02) (another duplicate)

leg140d.zip (9/21/02) (another duplicate)
leg140w.zip (9/21/02)
Leg141pr.zip (6/14/03) legacy.exe only

legacy_141b_win32.zip (10/4/03)

dwlegacy.zip (beta version with Fragglescript, 11/21/03)

Just an Add_FS util has its source in a subfolder of various zips.

Some old notes I found...

(main comp refers to a 700mhz Athlon with 16MB Voodoo 3, 128MB ram, and SB Live Platinum)

(old comp refers to a Pentium1 120mhz, 1MB video, and 32MB ram, with SB AWE32)

--------------------------------

Legacy

Best version: v1.32 beta 2 dated June 11, 2001 for main comp

Last version with skins working
Player 2's freelook and autorun works

Old Comp Sound
v1.30 Aug. 11th,  2000 - last windows version to have working SFX
but player 2's freelook is screwed

- last dos version to have working SFX

v1.24 July27 had underwater graphics effect

v1.24 Aug.5 (Legacy12501.zip) gained skins (UPDATE: Better in dosbox, Ideal for Waterlab.wad)

v1.25 Aug.25 lost underwater graphic effects, revised skin support

v1.27 Dec.28 revised config

v1.28 Mar. 18 windows only, gained underwater surface and water physics, 3dfx
v1.28 Apr. 14 gained slow swimmable water???, has splitscreen

-------

I was trying newer versions of Legacy on an old Pentium 120mhz.  It has an Sound Blaster AWE32 that's pretty much a souped up SB16 (It actually says SB16 in one place) with the settings: sfx at port 240, irq 7, dma 1, 16-bit dma 5, some music thing at port 388, the main music at port 330, and some other music thing at port 640.

Legacy v1.30 is the latest Windows version in which sound effects work.  I never got v1.31, but sound effects don't work in v1.40 and all versions of v1.32.  The music sounds horrible in every windows version with that sound card (Win Legacy goes and chooses some crappy MS midi mapper).  The sound effects work and music sounds fine in all dos versions.  It might be a good idea to reimplement this sound.cfg older versions of Legacy had as optional way to manually choose settings.

v1.30 is also the last version that runs good on the old computer.  With v1.30 I can have a good four player deathmatch with these two computers connected over modem with two players splitscreen on each.  In any later version it's a slideshow on the old comp if I try to do this.  Splitscreen and single alone outside of any network game runs laggy on the old comp with v1.32 and up.  All Legacy's run smooth on this newer 700mhz, but the performance seems to have taken a dip on older computers.

The problem with skins not working originated in v1.32 beta 3.  Beta 1 and 2 were fine with skins and it became broken in 1.32 beta 3 and 4.

I'd really like to have Legacy v1.31 to test with.  According to some docs it fixes this annoying bug in v1.30 and hopefully it'll run better on the old comp than v1.32 does.  So could someone please give me the windows v1.31?  The dos would be nice to have too. 

---------------------

Old Problems still around:[/b]

1 and 2.  These skin and dehacked problems still need to be fixed.

3.  Sound is still screwed up when it comes to volume and possibly direction.  Sometimes my own pistol shots sound quiet and distant.  Sounds sometimes get cut short or out completely.  Sound effects might also sound like they're coming from a different direction than they are.
(These sound problems are not to be confused with the cool effects of the random sound pitch option. I love those old school sounds.)

New problems with v1.41 pre-release:

1.  Player running speed is horribly slower (even though the frame rate is good).  I turned autorun off to see if it was still different than walking.  Please restore the  old running speed.  -Turbo can counteract the problem but then you get the annoying "(player): is turbo!" message all the time.

2.  In -opengl and -minigl modes (My vid card is Voodoo 3 3500 TV AGP), full screen pics/backgrounds (dm2interpic and titlepic) are blank white or black.  STBAR is blank gray varying in lightness.

3.  -3dfx mode still crashes for me.  But now only a corner of titlepic was disappeared as the whole screen with what appeared to be scanlines through it.  STBAR was really screwed up with "scanlines" through it.

Simple Requests:

1.  Please lower the friction in water.  I suggest allowing players to move twice as fast.  Then it should actually make for some fun deathmatches.  One of the great strengths of Doom's deathmatch over other games is being able to move so fast gives it a great defensive/evasive aspect.  This is nonexistent when you're bogged down to sluggish movement speed.

2.  Please make it not do the whole 3dfx logo thing when starting up in gl modes?

3.  Please get rid of the "You have to end your game before starting a new one" and just let people start a new game anytime just like normal doom.exe, at least in single player.  It's especially annoying testing things in single player with F7 no longer bringing up the end game option.

-----------------------------------------

Also, I noticed there's currently a focus on getting direct modem-to-modem play to work good.  There's a way it already works great, but seems to have been forgotten.  See here.  Actually that exact page was directly linked to on the Legacy's FAQ page back when it was at an old location before it went down and came back up at the new address.   This is how I play all my games multiplayer with local friends.  We connect direct modem to modem through dial-up networking, play games in their ipx mode (TCP works also, but may require some setting up of ip addresses), and they work much better and smoother than the modem/serial mode within the games.  Thanks to Legacy's splitscreen in combination with this I was finally able to play some smooth four player Doom without the lag of the internet.  (Being able to use two mice per a computer also kicks ass.)  Even though the instructions are for Win 95, it works just the same for Win 98, Me, and probably any other.  Just make sure the hosting player has dial-up server enabled in windows setup so it's available in dial-up networking under the connections pull-down menu.

----------------------------

A reply:....
Gokuma:

Old Bugs:

1 and 2: Yeah those really need to get fixed, but we might have to wait for the C++ version. This might be the last new version in the C branch before "The Great Switchover".

3. Hopefully this will be fixed in the C++ version.

New Bugs:

1. I didn't notice the player being any slower. Anyone else experience this? If you haven't been playing Legacy for a while but have been playing a lot fo ZDoom, remember that they play very differently ( AFAIK ZDoom has a bunch of Quake code in it that makes it play different from regular DOOM ).

2. Hmmm. Do you have the latest drivers? I dunno, maybe when Hurdler gets back from vacation he can answer this one.

3. 3dfx mode is not currently being updated though updates are planned.

Requests:

1. I dunno about lowering the water friction. If a mapper is concerned about speed he shouldn't have water in the level. Keep in mind you can keep a fair bit of speed by entering the water at a full run and holding down the jump key. You just skim across the top.

2. You can disable the 3DFX logo in your video card options.

3. Yeah a few of us have been bugging them about that for a while now. In the mean time you can "bind x endgame" to get right back the menu.

Everyone remember to submit bugs and feature requests to the sourceforge site, there's an easy link on the legacy website. By all means list bugs with 1.41 here, but the coders are more likely to look at something if it's listed on sourceforge.

Edited by Gokuma

9 hours ago, Gokuma said:

EDIT: I have in a txt file that I was playing Legacy since 97 so maybe I have something older on my oldest comp.

I unfortunately have no source and seems the oldest Legacy I have is 1.24 from July 98.

But here's what I have on an old backup CD.  Let me know if it would be a help to upload any or all of this.

By al means, please do so. Judging by the looks of it, there is quite some interesting stuff to be found there.

I can host these for the time being, but please get in touch with Wesley first. Perhaps he can host them SF in a seperate folder or something.

To add to that:

I am aware of several offsprings of the Legacy codebase and ArsDoom (The virtual exhibition) also had a release with a pre-configured Legacy build. These aforementioned offsprings are for different platforms but they are based on Legacy source code and do have a source release.

This is only tangibly related ofcourse since its not official stuff, but just to keep in mind.

Put all those zips in one big zip.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xesi042lwdk3zb0/hugelegacy.zip/file

Wish I could find waterlab.wad to have put in there.   I think it was on Doom Legacy site for a little bit and disappeared.

EDIT: Here's one more zip I found.   It's some 1.40 version 6/14/03 (same time as 141pr but has all the files):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/948be1hwqq1bnjl/newlegacy.zip/file

On the subject of offspring, here's a source mod (but no source code) of Legacy called Doom From Above 2 pre-beta by Sir Kenny, based on a couple dehacked map-mods of mine.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xzmi9ekgtzbltuh/AIRSTRIK.ZIP/file

Holding jump makes you fly up with a jetpack emitting flaming exhaust.  Seems to have implemented some of my dehacked stuff or stuff like it straight into the exe and might have made defense things allied to the player.

EDIT: Just tried it.   Nov 13, 1998,  based on v1.25, probably based on 8/25/98 one's source (Water just disappears when you go under it).   Zombies, Sergeants, Chaingunners changed to base defense things.   But they might just attack back from their pain frames like my dehacked mod.   Weapons SSG,4,5,6,7 altered/changed.  #5 is for dropping missiles straight down while in the air.   Only one replacement demo map that's just two sectors filled with things but only coop starts.  Flying enemy replacing cacodemon has quite a death and seems like he did special handling for when it hits the ground.  Some crazy stuff.  I suggest just putting on god mode to check it out.   Oddly, I had to go into the console and type use_mouse 1 to get mouse control working.   Maybe cause I was just messing with a Legacy v1.30 in that folder and its config format was revised.   Shame he replaced things rather than adding them.   My Bomberdoom has the nukes.  I also have newer dehacked and decorate code from different versions of a newer otherwise unrelated defunct project.

He also was working on a Wolfenstein TC based on Legacy source, he credited me for a story I did not write for it, as I guess he thought would be a nice gesture.   I think I tried it once and probably have it somewhere but don't remember what it's called and don't know what he changed in it.   The mapping wasn't exactly advanced.

Here's a bunch of my old stuff, mainly for testing Legacy water and has my original Doom from Above and stuff.   Be warned this is my really old stuff of not very high quality and uses some pretty poor placeholder graphics.   Should (hopefully) be free of errors and can be quite amusing though.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4bex1anu0ne80cc/myoldlegacystuff.zip/file

Here's an old and good map by Mike Tawney intended for Legacy but should be fine in plenty of ports:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ei0mi1iduwkqhsu/JUNGLE.ZIP/file

I'll have to see if I can get in contact with Teppic8.   I think he's done some idgames maintaining in recent years.   I have a folder full of his old odds and ends.

16 hours ago, drfrag said:

Everything older than 1.30 (1.24-1.29) is missing in sourceforge. And the 131 xmas. I don't know where you could upload them, may be @wesleyjohnson could tell.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/doomlegacy/files/Old versions/OldFiles/

Good memories, i also played it on a pentium mine was a 133.

Ah damn, you had a 13mhz edge over me when every bit count in those days!   Heh, at least until I got that 700 mhz together in 99/2000.

Oh regarding my mentions of sound not working.   I only used windows versions of Legacy and most ports on the 700mhz comp because its SB Live Platinum was incompatible with Allegro sound libraries for SFX.   The only dos exes I can think of that didn't use Allegro were the vanilla ones and ZDoomdos.   Dos Legacy, DosDoom, Boom, and MBF all used allegro so I'd only play them on the old 120mhz.   But it looks like some sound issues developed aside from that.

Edited by Gokuma

@Gokuma this is epic stuff. Ill download this tomorrow and take a dive. I reckon a lot of it is very useful - both code snd history.

My sincere gratitude for these. Thank you @drfrag for kickstarting this in motion.

You're welcome.   Unfortunately, there may not be any source code at all there, unless I missed some in a subfolder of an odd zip.   Based on my old notes, parts of the water implementation were occasionally disabled or changed.   I would imagine those different parts of functionality would be commented out in various versions of source we do have, rather than totally discarded.   At least hopefully.

12 hours ago, Gokuma said:

You're welcome.   Unfortunately, there may not be any source code at all there, unless I missed some in a subfolder of an odd zip.   Based on my old notes, parts of the water implementation were occasionally disabled or changed.   I would imagine those different parts of functionality would be commented out in various versions of source we do have, rather than totally discarded.   At least hopefully.

Just downloaded all the archives. It will take some time to get through these and weed the things out. It does not also have to be source code, but if there is accurate dates or additional details to be found in these, then that's very useful aswell.

Again, many thanks for these :)

5 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

There's also some later C++ alpha release versions lurking around by Smite-meister.

The C++ version at that time was known as (Legacy 2.0). I probably have some of these alphas.

And the source for that stuff is of course on the SVN branch here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/doomlegacy/svn/HEAD/tree/legacy/

There have been compiled Legacy 2 builds up compiled by Exl on Archive.org.

• Here is the archived Legacy Wiki.
  • And here is the latest compiled binary (Dec 12, 2007). Do note that this is likely quite out of date, but this build supposely has the fancy visuals like stencil shadows in.

33 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

There have been compiled Legacy 2 builds up compiled by Exl on Archive.org.

• Here is the archived Legacy Wiki.
  • And here is the latest compiled binary (Dec 12, 2007). Do note that this is likely quite out of date, but this build supposely has the fancy visuals like stencil shadows in.

Ah, Nice!

I was just about to hook up my drive too.

Now someone needs to backup teamhellspawn, just incase.

17 hours ago, Gokuma said:

Put all those zips in one big zip.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xesi042lwdk3zb0/hugelegacy.zip/file

Wish I could find waterlab.wad to have put in there.   I think it was on Doom Legacy site for a little bit and disappeared.

EDIT: Here's one more zip I found.   It's some 1.40 version 6/14/03 (same time as 141pr but has all the files):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/948be1hwqq1bnjl/newlegacy.zip/file

Thank you for sharing this! Because I don't trust mediafire to preserve these files, I combined them with the contents of the OldFiles directory on Sourceforge and uploaded the resulting collection to the Internet Archive.

17 hours ago, Gokuma said:

I'll have to see if I can get in contact with Teppic8.   I think he's done some idgames maintaining in recent years.   I have a folder full of his old odds and ends.

@Jon

2 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Ah, Nice!

I was just about to hook up my drive too.

I believe @DooMAD or @Doomkid did this, but don't hang me up on it.

1 hour ago, fraggle said:

Thank you for sharing this! Because I don't trust mediafire to preserve these files, I combined them with the contents of the OldFiles directory on Sourceforge and uploaded the resulting collection to the Internet Archive.

@Jon

Big thanks for doing this Fraggle. That will come in handy for the Wiki later on.

@Gokuma ill go over your packages and see what sticks out. If you want, i can PM you later regarding these.

One thing i did notice is that the DWLegacy package has had a more recent release in 2009 on Deathz0r's page which also seemed to work. Deathz0r's page also lists a ''Weird Old Doom Ports'' section which ofcourse triggers me, but it is unreachable, even by Archive.org, unfortunately.

19 hours ago, Gokuma said:

Still got that particular file kicking about, here you go:  http://www.teamhellspawn.com/Waterlab.wad

I think the site is up for renewal in August.  Just need to remember my login details for the webhost, or possibly find them on my old PC.  :D

Should be okay for the foreseeable.

Edited by DooMAD

Nice, and you may note that, and it may yet still need some research, but IIRC Tony D created the bots for Doom Legacy.

Also, the Bot named Yomomma was based off me as a node movement. ;)

~ of course I initially moved a little better than said bot. :P

Thanks DooMAD!  I may not have ever actually got ahold of that waterlab.wad before to try it.   And thanks and you're welcome Fraggle!

Redneckerz, Cool!  Did you see I updated the my older post of the list with the date of each legacy/doom3.exe put in order with some notes matched up to them?

Edited by Gokuma

25 minutes ago, Gokuma said:

Thanks DooMAD!   And thanks and you're welcome Fraggle!

Redneckerz, Cool!  Did you see I updated the my older post of the list with the date of each legacy/doom3.exe put in order with some notes matched up to them?

Yep! Saw it and i have been glossing things over. Legacy28 sticks out as the 3DFX beta, supporting only that + software render. Such little details are neat!

Thanks for the notes aswell, because its really helpful seperating things apart. Great stuff, thanks once more.

On 4/9/2020 at 12:11 AM, Gokuma said:

thanks @fraggle for the mention

awesome @Gokuma I’d be very interested in a ZIP of my old stuff if that isn’t too much trouble. I’ve got a few piles of directories of legacy stuff I should sort through too, including at least one of your test WADs for fake 3D floors with z height sprites. I thought it might be possible to get these working with crispy doom. 

This is interesting. If you weren't aware? There's a Legacy version 1.1 on doomworld /idgames! 

The source code is also available.

I just happen to stumble on it a little while ago, so I looked here to see if its been posted yet.

DooMad posted up about v1.2 which is on /idgames also.

But nothing about v1.1, so here ya go:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/source/doomlegacy1_bin

and of course:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/source/

Best ones for testing old method water so far:

Leg12501.zip's doom3.exe (dos, using other files from Legacy24.zip) (walls look best underwater, but no under surface)

Legacy28.zip (win version named doom3.exe) (navigable with jump, has under surface but no effect on walls)

Very Slow Swimmable, has under surface but no effect on walls:  LegD128.zip, LegD129.zip, LegW129.zip, Leg29.zip

Any other version I've tried has only the top surface of water shown only or old water is disabled altogether.

On a newer AMD Quadcore, many win versions failed to run from the launcher but just running their exe worked.

But I had to turn music volume up from 0 to get sound effects and colors are screwed up until you start a new game each time in many versions.

(Going by the zip filenames...)

Legacy24's exe was laggy in dosbox.  

Leg12501 may be ideal for Waterlab.wad 

My crappy drowned.wad testing map is almost completely navigable with jump in Legacy28, except I couldn't get out of the water at the top, but I could otherwise get all the way back up there from the bottom.

LegD128/129, LegW129, Leg29 is fully swimmable and you can get out of it at the top.

Oddly LegW128 from a day before has the water disabled.   Couldn't get LegWin32 to run on this computer.

By 1.30 the old water is disabled in any dos or win version.

Edited by Gokuma