Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PixelGuy666

Favorite DOOM Port?

This thread is going to be a long list of people saying "PSX Doom"

If we're saying console ports, I might be cheating a little but I'm going with the Switch port.

Sure, this version is pretty bad when it started but Bethesda and ID software have flipped it around IMMENSELY. Not only does the UI look kinda cool but it's on the Switch which means it's DooM on the go! Only drawback is it's censored so that's a bit of a shame. :l

If however we have to count only the classic versions, I'm going with GBA DooM II just for the fact they ported a near 1:1 recreation of all 32 maps with only a few bits and bobs changed here and there to compensate for lag. It is impressive they got ALL the maps (though I believe a few maps had to be split in half due to size) on such a small cartridge, technically making this one of the first official DooM II on-the-go experiences you can have. Bonus is I believe maps 31 and 32 and uncensored (don't quote me on that, been a little since I last played GBA DooM II).

52 minutes ago, Danzer said:

This thread is going to be a long list of people saying "PSX Doom"

I mean you're not wrong. I personally think DOOM on PS1 is kinda overrated. Not saying it's bad, but I just prefer the original music, levels, sounds and overall look and feel of the PC classic. Also now the frame rate of the PS1 version kinda bothers me for some reason. 

23 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

If we're saying console ports, I might be cheating a little but I'm going with the Switch port.

Sure, this version is pretty bad when it started but Bethesda and ID software have flipped it around IMMENSELY. Not only does the UI look kinda cool but it's on the Switch which means it's DooM on the go! Only drawback is it's censored so that's a bit of a shame. :l

If however we have to count only the classic versions, I'm going with GBA DooM II just for the fact they ported a near 1:1 recreation of all 32 maps with only a few bits and bobs changed here and there to compensate for lag. It is impressive they got ALL the maps (though I believe a few maps had to be split in half due to size) on such a small cartridge, technically making this one of the first official DooM II on-the-go experiences you can have. Bonus is I believe maps 31 and 32 and uncensored (don't quote me on that, been a little since I last played GBA DooM II).

DOOM on the switch is really good and I love the GBA version. It got me through a lot of car rides when I was younger. 

The Xbox 360 port for XBL Arcade, they did a really good job of getting the resolution right and its far more possible to beat some of the harder levels with an xbox 360/1/PS3/4 controller than a PS1 controller. The SNES version will always have a place in my heart as it was my introduction to doom. 

Gotta be the PSX Versions of Doom (1 2, Master levels Final Doom)

there are more accurate ports done since, but they are TOO accurate  that I might as well just be playing the PC version at that point. the PSX ports bring something new to the table with its Music and Atmosphere.

It would probably be the latest Unity-based console ports since they look damn good, but I've yet to actually try them firsthand, so I'll have to give it to the Xbox 360 ports. It was the first time playing Classic Doom on a console didn't feel FUBAR'd!

That said, I give eternal kudos to PSX Doom for gimping it with style - Devs who cut necessary corners with care and flair always deserve credit, imo. They used cutbacks as a way to make it feel unique rather than just being a lame version of Doom like every other 90's port, and they even added that snazzy colored lighting. That's taking less and making more.

I guess it doesn't count since it never existed in an official capacity, but seeing splitscreen Goldeneye games as a kid made me wish desperately for something like 64Doom with splitscreen multiplayer. Nowadays I of course realize that probably still would have been too much strain on the ol' 64, but damned if I didn't want it! Doom Legacy ended up being the one to scratch that itch in the early 2000's.

2 hours ago, MFG38 said:

SNES Doom.

I'm not even kidding.

I first seen DOOM on an SNES. But once I found out I could play it with keyboard and mouse I never looked back. It's just far superior in my opinion.

• ZhaDoomPPC. 800x600 resolution (in 1998), the ability to fly and a name derived from the Babylon 5 TV show. Can't get much better than that.
  • Officially: MacDoom (640x400 baby!)
  • Ultimately: SNES and PSX Doom.

Agree with Doomkid, in that the PSX version at that time was quite compelling in that it not only had a hell of a lot of levels (and some exclusive ones), but that corners were cut just tastefully enough (given the PSX’s limitations) and the overall feel was tweaked just enough to make it well worthy of its own playthrough.  And it was a memorable enough take that D64 took its lead from that version.  Not everyone agreed with the changes in both look and sound, but it’s a real testament that even with significant omissions, that there’s players who ultimately PREFERRED PSX Doom to PC Doom.

I also (sadly) agree with PG666 in that in this day and age with some newer excellent console ports out there (like Xbox 360 Live and the Switch), the PSX version just doesn’t hold up as well as it once did...I’m just way too used to playing a pretty much 100% accurate version now that moves at 60 FPS.  I can’t go back to well under 30 with Jag maps and chopped animation.  

So short answer:

For several years:  PSX...in 1996 and for a number of years beyond, this version was amazing, in spite of its flaws.  I’ll always remember it fondly.

Now:  Switch.  Doom I, II, and 64 and the Switch (in handheld mode) were made for each other.  

12 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Gotta be the PSX Versions of Doom (1 2, Master levels Final Doom)

there are more accurate ports done since, but they are TOO accurate  that I might as well just be playing the PC version at that point. the PSX ports bring something new to the table with its Music and Atmosphere.

They also make for a perfect prelude to a Doom64 playthrough given their similarities.
I'll put the Jag port up there too for nostalgia reasons  (first experience with the franchise) and its color processing that still looks special to me.

40 minutes ago, ZeroTheEro said:

Then: PSX

Now: Switch

I gotta admit, after having played a lot of D64 the past week and a half, I realize how much better the PSX/D64 sound effects are.  That nasally little "beh-beep" from the original sound FXs when picking up items sounds way too ancient now.  Some of the other old ones (especially the Plasma Rifle, and doors opening and closing) are especially brutal.  I REALLY wish I could import all of those revamped sounds into the Switch Doom.  But being able to at least kill the Prince Midis and play Hodges' Extended Mix tunes instead (through an outside source of course) helps greatly.

Also (just) noticed that the mountain backgrounds in Switch Doom I warp and stretch as you spin around.  Kinda weird...noticed it in the Military Base mission (not sure why it took me so long to catch that).  Still terrific regardless.