Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

Devs React to 27 Minute Speedrun

IGN posted this on YouTube. Its very funny. The guys take it all in good humour and I'm looking forward to seeing if they do try and troll these types of speed runs in future games, well worth a watch.

Check it out. 

1 hour ago, sluggard said:

IGN struck gold with these Devs React to Speedruns videos.

100%. I've watched a few of them already and they are a blast!

Love listening to all the "wtf" reactions. And the devs are totally in awe of the speedrunners, it's great.

Wow, they sound incredibly arrogant, and pissed that these talented people have butchered these arrogant and entitled devs' games.

I wouldn't be surprised now if they patch these exploits, to remove them.

EDIT: I'm joking, as they are, before I get any more replies ;)

Edited by Foebane72

22 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

Wow, they sound incredibly arrogant, and pissed that these talented people have butchered these arrogant and entitled devs' games.

Uh, I'm sure the devs are just joking around.

Edited by sluggard

43 minutes ago, sluggard said:

Uh, I'm sure they're just joking around.

I'm sure they are. I don't know about Hugo Martin or the other two, but I'm sure Marty Stratton is well aware of fans' ability to take advantage of exploits to beat the id games, as shown above.

To me looks like they are enjoying it and they mostly talk of putting funny stuff to interact with speedrunners using glitches. They talked about messages in the skybox, to have some exploits fixes but toggable in the menu and so on.

To me looks like they're coming on with some quite awesome ideas to interact more with players. 

5 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

It sounds like they were just having fun... 

To be fair, if you'd poured your heart and soul into a project, and then watched someone skip over most of it, then you'd have a heart of stone for that not to sting even just a little.

But I honestly think they took it well in spite of that, and they also recognised that even if they were to pour concrete over currently known exploits, then speedrunners would just find more. They also spoke of putting little messages and a potential NoClip documentary about speedrunning; which to me implies a good-natured recognition that a certain segment of their audience will inevitably engage with their games in a certain way.

They have a sense of humor and know its all in good fun. Really when it comes to devs, Hugo is one of the more closely knit to the Doom community out of the bunch. He has visited several livestreams of the game just to say hello and all that as well as Mick Gordon and such.

I honestly think you took their comments a little way too seriously, like you know they are joking when they comment about how annoying the sludge is but then talk about "Triple-down on the mechanic." The NoClip documentaries about the devs would also help you understand what these devs are like.

2 hours ago, NoXion said:

To be fair, if you'd poured your heart and soul into a project, and then watched someone skip over most of it, then you'd have a heart of stone for that not to sting even just a little.

Yep exactly my feeling too. It's like when you make a map that's intended to be played without jumping and then somebody just turns on jump and tries to skip everything. It hurts.

8 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

EDIT: I'm joking, as they are, before I get any more replies ;)

Yeah sarcasm doesn’t translate to text very well... sorry for misinterpreting! 

6 hours ago, Nevander said:

Yep exactly my feeling too. It's like when you make a map that's intended to be played without jumping and then somebody just turns on jump and tries to skip everything. It hurts.

People seem to forget the speed runners would play the map many times over to know these tricks exists and how the general flow of the physics work. Speedrunning is a lot more complicated than just, "press no clip button"

16 hours ago, Nevander said:

As jazzamster says it's not about enabling something and skip it. Speedrunners who try to find glitches spend a mammoth amount of time to understand out of level pathing, and so on. They would have completed the game 10 times over with the time they spent to dissect every level. So there is a massive amount of work and level studying for the sake of just one single run. 

Now if you make a map, someone turn on jump and skip most of it, then you will be probably pissed. But if someone notice it can use an archvile jump to achieve a map skip, would you be also pissed or you will be just "wow cool"?

14 hours ago, Kaos said:

Now if you make a map, someone turn on jump and skip most of it, then you will be probably pissed. But if someone notice it can use an archvile jump to achieve a map skip, would you be also pissed or you will be just "wow cool"?

Yes I'd be upset if someone playing a map blind turns on jump and skips stuff. I've seen it happen and it's frustrating as a map designer to see impatient or apathetic players not give a damn.

But as you say, if someone tries a known trick (like an Archvile jump) that's within the bounds of the game without cheating to skip something, that's totally fine. In fact, it's a good reminder to be aware of such tricks. Some maps even employ them to get secrets or secret exits.