Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
4MaTC

Globglogabgalabs treasure trove [slaughter map]

Hi!

First of all i beg a pardon for my english, since i'm not a native speaker.

I love doom and as a hobby i make maps, but never uploaded; as for this one my wife insisted to upload it.

So i present to you:

Globglogabgalab's treasure trove

Map Format: UDMF

Ports Tested: GZDoom 4.3.3, vanilla and smooth doom; hardware rendering (map has some portals)

IWAD: Doom 2

Map(s): MAP01

Music: Doom 2 "THEDA2"

Gameplay: Single player slaughter

Difficulty Settings: No (It's difficult, but not much as lots of other slaughter maps, although Glob is quite difficult)

Difficulty Settings: Yes (more spheres, less archviles)

Multiplayer Placement: No

Build Time: about 3 weeks (not 24/7 of course)

Textures: Torch and candelabra from brutal doom hell on earth (SGtMarkIV), hexen, ROTT.

Requirements:Jumping needed in some parts jumping permitted, crouching permitted (but why for?), freelook needed (to kill boss) freelook permitted

New content: Globglogabgalab's phrases, door sounds (from Clive barker's undying), some new textures

Map theme: wooden, library, huge spaces.

Recomended sector light mode: standart

Download v2

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20200419_210054.jpg.e6beb19fe75863341bd4330983a24eb6.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20200419_210115.jpg.cd6e9b49acf2b7e88dab646bd7681ead.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20200419_210452.jpg.c05d9589eac0db1b712a1ed6ecebff87.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20200419_210636.jpg.b5f94540f2e5ed6056a333c603c89f72.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20200419_210758.jpg.9a30446f0d38d38b23ed82f861ab4b48.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20200419_210916.jpg.d56cb63798c8397edd1e7eaf275baa4a.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20200419_211211.jpg.279cbafee621780642dc16d5983673c6.jpg

Edited by 4MaTC

wow, those screenshots look incredible! that is one of the coolest doom libraries I have ever seen, looks so good

7 hours ago, Tango said:

wow, those screenshots look incredible! that is one of the coolest doom libraries I have ever seen, looks so good

Thanks!

Any suggestions, maybe bugs you encouneterd?

4 minutes ago, 4MaTC said:

Thanks!

Any suggestions, maybe bugs you encouneterd?

I haven't played it yet :( but I intend to, downloaded it after my initial post. I'll let you know once I do!

this was a really fantastic map, I had a great time playing it. the aesthetic is awesome - definitely one of the best doom libraries I've seen. the geometry itself is relatively simple as evidenced by looking at the automap, but it certainly doesn't feel that way in-game thanks to the wonderful texture usage and scale of everything. I really enjoyed all the portal usage too :D

just a few thoughts in the spoiler:

Spoiler
  • in the big red key battle in the south end of the map, with the 4 corner pyramid structures, I felt like enemies that teleport on to the pyramids at the end of the fight took too long to teleport up there, and there were too many of them. by the time monsters finished teleporting on the 4th pyramid, I'd already killed all of the ground monsters long ago, so there was no incentive for me to stay and clear out those turret monsters. I therefore would consider significantly speeding up how fast those monsters teleport in - maybe instead of staggering the timing between each set of pyramid monsters teleporting in, maybe just start teleporting them all in at once? I personally would consider also replacing all (or at least, most) of the hell knights up there with imps. the hell knights don't make the fight more difficult, but they did make it feel more grindy
  • I didn't really know where to go after getting the red key. you sort of hint at it by teleporting those two archviles out in the main area when the player walks back there, but I had no idea I had to go back to where the mastermind was
  • when the player goes back to the mastermind area after getting the red key, I felt there were too many monsters that teleported in. I'd reduce the teleporting monster count there by probably 50%, I think. again, the quantity of monsters here didn't really make things more difficult, but they did make it more tedious. I felt like I had to stand in a corner and rocket/plasma the teleport destinations for minutes before everything finally slowed down and I could move on to the final area
  • I thought the final boss looked a little goofy/non-doomy, but it wasn't enough to detract from the fun imo
  • I was able to damage the final boss without using the two lifts; was this intentional?

2 hours ago, Tango said:

this was a really fantastic map, I had a great time playing it. the aesthetic is awesome - definitely one of the best doom libraries I've seen. the geometry itself is relatively simple as evidenced by looking at the automap, but it certainly doesn't feel that way in-game thanks to the wonderful texture usage and scale of everything. I really enjoyed all the portal usage too :D

just a few thoughts in the spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents
  • in the big red key battle in the south end of the map, with the 4 corner pyramid structures, I felt like enemies that teleport on to the pyramids at the end of the fight took too long to teleport up there, and there were too many of them. by the time monsters finished teleporting on the 4th pyramid, I'd already killed all of the ground monsters long ago, so there was no incentive for me to stay and clear out those turret monsters. I therefore would consider significantly speeding up how fast those monsters teleport in - maybe instead of staggering the timing between each set of pyramid monsters teleporting in, maybe just start teleporting them all in at once? I personally would consider also replacing all (or at least, most) of the hell knights up there with imps. the hell knights don't make the fight more difficult, but they did make it feel more grindy
  • I didn't really know where to go after getting the red key. you sort of hint at it by teleporting those two archviles out in the main area when the player walks back there, but I had no idea I had to go back to where the mastermind was
  • when the player goes back to the mastermind area after getting the red key, I felt there were too many monsters that teleported in. I'd reduce the teleporting monster count there by probably 50%, I think. again, the quantity of monsters here didn't really make things more difficult, but they did make it more tedious. I felt like I had to stand in a corner and rocket/plasma the teleport destinations for minutes before everything finally slowed down and I could move on to the final area
  • I thought the final boss looked a little goofy/non-doomy, but it wasn't enough to detract from the fun imo
  • I was able to damage the final boss without using the two lifts; was this intentional?

Thanks again for testing, ill take your advice in consideration. 8)

Pyramid monsters start to spawn after you kill cyberdemon, so every time it's a little bit different battle, but if those cyberdemon got in infight they die really soon.

The red-key usage seemed to me obvious, maybe because i've tested this map too much, and those red-skull-bars and red switch near blue switch supposed to be hints, not archies (: they used to corner you once you fight revenants in mastermind corridor.

Nevertheless it's mass teleporting monsters problem (i really dont like instant raising floors), but i'll do my best next time in monster management.

As for globglogabgalab - yes it's goofy and non-doomy (he starred in the children's film Strawinsky and the Mysterious House, btw), but somehow he's creepy, straight out of the uncanny valley, and he loves books =) and yes - hurting him with mouselook was intentional, because playing without mouse look is too retro for me.

Great looking level and cool theme with the Glogbogla... But way too hard for me. How am I supposed to survive that battle at the blue key barriers when 4 archviles spawn in?

32 minutes ago, Tetzlaff said:

Great looking level and cool theme with the Glogbogla... But way too hard for me. How am I supposed to survive that battle at the blue key barriers when 4 archviles spawn in?

Thanks for response!

8 archies to be true. But there's also spawns 2 megaspheres, 3 invisibility spheres is up there, and you can skip them just going thru the portal upstairs to slaughter them later.

As for difficulty - yes it may be not ballanced well, but it is a slaughter core (as i see it) - surviving 'thanks to' difficulty, instead 'inspite of'.

Try to avoid archies attacks, while killing ressurected demons, and wait, until they crawl upstairs, and kill them one by one.

Thanks, I might try that. What I like most about Slaughter maps is when they give you various opportunities to use monster infighting to your advantage, and the part with the two Cyberdemons in front of the blue barriers was a great example of this.

Before this I run away from the start area and quickly opened the large gate with the yellow key. Might be a bad decision since there were also some archviles running arround there...

Here comes ver.2 of GGGGTT, link is in the first message.

Added difficulty settings (more soul and mega spheres, medkits, less archies on lower difficulties)

Added new carpet textures (ornament and holes)

Watered down monsters and changed a little bit teleport dest in 'mastermind hall'; changed the way monsters spawn in 4 pyramids and removed barons (@Tango advise)

And some tiny aesthetic things.