Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoubleCakes

Fixing Up My First Wad: Flesh Terrarium

Posted (edited)

(Updated with v1.01)

It was over a year ago that I started this level for the 1K Lines Community Project. Originally, it didn't live up to the standards of the project (nor did its abstract music theme, which has since been replaced) and because I didn't have the time to fix it, the level was rejected. It bummed me out for a long time but in the last couple months I got the Doom mapping itch and I figured it would be a good idea to return to this first map and see if I can't fix it up a bit. In this latest version I added more lighting and rearranged some sectors.

The idea was I wanted to have a more grotesque kind of hell focused around blood pools and flesh walls. 

Made in: DoomBuilder 2 and then Ultimate Doom Builder

Tested on: GzDoom gzdoom-x64-g4.4 devbuild; prboom+ 2.5.1.4

IWAD: Doom II

Difficulty: Mid-to-late Doom II with a slight focus on sparser ammo

It's a standard Doom level. No mouselook or jumping.

Download: Flesh Terrarium v1.01.rar

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20200419_123942.png.689e63fed2009727f3c638dc153242a7.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200419_123951.png.5aa2e44d8e17ccda9c2c0791e15e09d2.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200419_124003.png.283790729dd61264cba0c985e8e2fca7.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200419_124105.png.9a79ef3f046e6b3596e8945279e38af5.png

Old version:

Flesh Terrarium b1_1.rar

Edited by DoubleCakes

Posted (edited)

Played through it just now.  I'm just starting my doom map, learning the works and all, so I am of limited experience. 

It works, has the triggers and scripts, though the round not-maze does hinder the pacing, couldn't find the Yellow key right away.   Red Key area, Texture missing near the lift. Most encounters are easy enough, only one being hard is the Knights and Anchrotrons area.  A little more with Ammo would help in some places.

Otherwise, a learning experience.

Edit: Played on GzDoom 4.2.4.

A learning experience is right! In this single map project, my understanding on how Doom level design works changed a lot. I think I got it in my head that Doom maps were supposed be very interconnected or non-linear because in the late aughts when FPSes were becoming the big popular genre, their single-player campaign levels were criticized by old-school gamers for being very linear. That gave me the idea that Doom levels were typically open-ended, but that's not true very often and in the official campaigns, the more non-linear levels of Doom are the ones that aren't as popular, like say Downtown from Doom 2. 

Some of the best levels in Doom are very linear but within the same interconnected environment. 

I updated the map to add that missing texture and added some more ammo, while moving some ammo too. I think in terms of this map, I am finished with it. Ready to move on!