Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Nanami

Co-op Bots

I start a lot of threads, don't I? Hope that's not a bad thing.

Anyway, I'm playing Doom II on easy mode just because I'm bored. It's really really easy. I spend most of the time walking around looking for items to keep my health at 200% and armor at the same. I mean, instead of Barons and Cyberdemons and Arch-Viles you have... well, imps. And some imps. And just for variety, there's some imps.

Well that's off topic. Anyway, I accidentally hit B, which I have binded to add bot, so I figured "oh well, he's not going to hurt anything," and I was pretty much right. On three levels in a row he got <5% kills, and actually 0% on one.

I started thinking, why are all the bots so dumb? Deathmatch bots are easy to do because they just grab ammo and shoot things. But the co-op bots are really stupid. They grab ammo and shoot things. Is it just that hard to make a co-op bot, or has nobody really cared enough to do it? Is there any bot out there that doesn't turn into a blithering idiot when it comes to co-op, or are they all that way?

Nanami said:

I start a lot of threads, don't I? Hope that's not a bad thing.

Heh, well at least it counter-balances the fact that I hardly start any...

From what I know coop bots are hard to code. You have to make them follow a cetain route, which sometimes has choices to make, they mustn't get stuck in a room and they must cope with a lot of enemies. Also, they aren't requested as much as DM bots, because you can always play SP which is similar to coop, but DM isn't possible alone.

I haven't played around with bots in a long time, but I remember that zcajun bots aren't good even for DM. Other bots might be somewhat better for coop as well...

Well, Cajun and ZCajun are the only bots I've ever used. Mostly because, just by the description of the other bots, I didn't want to download them. They sounded pretty stupid, most of them.

See, I don't have any friends who like Doom so I can't play co-op. =P But I wish there was at least some bot that was any good at co-op mode. I admit, it'd be difficult because they'd have to navigate better, find keys, fight bunches of monsters, and such. But still.

heh The ZCajun bots are nitwits for me in deathmatch too, they just sit there, or run around in circles, or run into walls...easy kills :P ...But boring *sigh*

All you need for a good co-op bot is a bot that'll follow you around, shoot at enemies and not shoot at you. That's all you need for a basic co-op bot, so GET CRACKIN'!

deathz0r said:

ACBots are the best co-op bots, IMO.

I tend to agree, although you'll still have to 'lead' the bots toward the monsters, since they act like monsters, following YOU (somehow bots never get the idea of walking AROUND a wall, if it's between you and them) They start blasting every monster that comes in sight, regardless of who stands in front of them (so team damage is not recommended)! If you wait around every corner for your braindead teammates, then you can have quite a coop game with (AC)bots!

Maybe you could make it so that it roughly follows your path (~128 units of width or something) and checks out the area when you stop moving. It could also have programming which would keep it from picking up resources you need more than it. A retreating option would be good too (if health <20 then it would avoid enemy contact and grab health.)

OPN bots are slightly better at co-op, the cajun ones are useless. They will NEVER cross slime, so if there's even a tiny trickle going across your path at the start they will stay huddled at... the start. They're not worth it, unless you're dying in sp and want to keep the game going even if you die

Nearly any engine should be able to do that, though, even doom, using -nodes 1 from ipxsetup.

coop bots are good fun, BECAUSE they are stupid. Sure, someday you might like a smart bot, who does something useful, but these things are fun to scream at, especially when you have 8 health, and the bot grabs the last soulsphere for the next 3 levels.

Epyo said:

coop bots are good fun, BECAUSE they are stupid. Sure, someday you might like a smart bot, who does something useful, but these things are fun to scream at, especially when you have 8 health, and the bot grabs the last soulsphere for the next 3 levels.

But then again, u'll still be screaming because the stupid bot Kept shooting you Till you had 8 health. :P

Those bots are stupid, and I havent even used them yet! At least they somwhat work in Skulltag.

ravage said:

Those bots are stupid, and I havent even used them yet! At least they somwhat work in Skulltag.

Skulltag bots are great for Deathmatch imo :D

I got my friend to play co-op with me last night! So we played for a while. He died too much in DM (80 to 16) so I asked if he wanted to play co-op instead. We spent about 15 minutes killing the Cyberdemon in Circle of Death (or Doom or whatever it is) with just shotguns. We jump down in the pit and shoot until we die. Lame but funny. =P

Do Skulltag bots work with ZDoom?
Actually here's a better question. I don't know what skultag is. Could someone tell me that first?

SkullTag is a port based on ZDoom's source code, I'm pretty sure. It has Quake-like effects and bots. It's a stand-alone port.

Please pay close attention to the Doomworld menus, Lost Soul...

I just use SkullTag as is for the bots, they are great for Deathmatch imo, and they rant :D

..But the latest SkullTag doesnt have bots in it, cause its a multiplayer version type dee-lee, I think. I have teh Special Hissy edtion.

DOOM Anomaly said:

I just use SkullTag as is for the bots, they are great for Deathmatch imo, and they rant :D

..But the latest SkullTag doesnt have bots in it, cause its a multiplayer version type dee-lee, I think. I have teh Special Hissy edtion.

I'm gonna downgrade now! :)

I downloaded the new SkullTag to see what it had, and I liked it, but there were no bots, so I reinstalled the old version... When the next version comes out, with bots, I'm getting that.