Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
killerkouhai

[FINAL RELEASE] Refracted Reality

Hey sorry to bump and old old post but wondering if this is you?

The beginning of this map looks very similar to yours or Decay's. 

Because someone has claimed to make this in 2 years but i knew it was from at least 2 years ago

And here it is being played 2 years agoish

Sorry  I just really recognized it when it was posted. I did not know how else to get this out there to know if someone had taken your idea for the beginning of the map or not. 

Also new at posting apparently because i can't get rid of this Spoiler tag. 

Spoiler

It's the same guy, who was lazy to post his doom 64 tutorial videos 3 years ago.  

And people googled some links and found some skeletons in the closet in Amiga computer scene related to that guy, idk if they still exist. If there are download links in youtube, I'd suggest grab it and compare with this set to see any plagiarism. I'd do it myself, but I'm too tired to check it out.

This is laughable. Just when I thought that this was over, this shows up only to add salt and acid to the injury.

I get that it is not exact and that the person in question has not published anything yet. Not trying to start anything I just wanted to see that if anything is published some credit is due or not if explicitly this breaks the do not use without permission. I am just a lowly observer who loves a good wad. I remembered this map so well, was so confused at first and even had to re look up Refracted Reality to be sure I at least was in the right ballpark. Good map set here if anyone wants to play it! :-) 

Wait a sec...

Did he said that it took two years to complete the map?

I'm sorry but looks like an edited and simplified version of map 4. Simple as that. 

The very beginning looks way similar for sure.

7 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Wait a sec...

Did he said that it took two years to complete the map?

I'm sorry but looks like an edited and simplified version of map 4. Simple as that. 

The very beginning looks way similar for sure.

This is what concerned me. He said it took 2 years but I was like "wait a second..this looks like another map I played like at least a year ago" and yeah thus me looking up this mapset. If he just changes this first part of the map, i am sure all would be good. Don't know how it would take 2 years. But yeah. 

This file is among the select few which I tried throughout the course of my initial foray into custom content. I was hoping very sincerely for better news. Peut-être la prochaine fois!

Cut and dry plagiarism. The intro of the map in that video (which has been deleted in the past hour) was from a proof of concept map that KK made before Refracted Reality was even a full idea. That proof then got reworked into the map in the second video. I have the original, but am not sure if I have permission to upload it, or if it was public in the first place.

5 hours ago, General Roasterock said:

Cut and dry plagiarism. The intro of the map in that video (which has been deleted in the past hour) was from a proof of concept map that KK made before Refracted Reality was even a full idea. That proof then got reworked into the map in the second video. I have the original, but am not sure if I have permission to upload it, or if it was public in the first place.

Good to know...

Hmm....was it the map called "fireblu void" the original? Because that map was the catalyst for the idea of the project to begin with. Anyway, map plagiarism is a low blow.

Well I just checked it out for curiosity's sake.

The skybox is the same, just renamed.

I copied over the starting room of RR map04 and put it beside this one, RR is on the right

fuDQVKZ.png

Then I put the original over the new one

ZJ9cjze.png

So looks like it was copy and pasted, then altered ever so slightly.

Thanks to the /idgames maintainers, Jaspur's realm was removed due to plagiarism. I also found more instances. It's likely the plagiarism came from the original map before I altered it, but nevertheless, it was plagiarized in multiple spots, not just the beginning. Thanks to those who brought it to attention.

jaspur3.png

jaspur4.png

jaspur5.png

jaspur6.png

23 hours ago, Misty said:

Sorry for bumping this thread - seems Hans actually released his Refracted Reality inspired level in idgames:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/j-l/jaspursrealm

I'm attaching automap shot from slade and in game screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

JaspursRealm.wad_MAP01.png
Screenshot_Doom_20220224_164312.png
Screenshot_Doom_20220224_164527.png
Screenshot_Doom_20220224_164442.png

I didn't test that much, so I don't know if it was plagiarised from any Refracted Reality map. 

couldn't find that file.

@Pirx it's because maintainers removed it from idgames already, you can check idgames reject logs for it. If you want check file out, I still have it in my hard drive(lazy to delete it, heh), but I'm not going to share here in this thread. 

14 minutes ago, Misty said:

@Pirx it's because maintainers removed it from idgames already, you can check idgames reject logs for it. If you want check file out, I still have it in my hard drive(lazy to delete it, heh), but I'm not going to share here in this thread. 

i'd like to check it out. looks kinda ribbiks colorful space fantasy.

Why bother? It was literally a bootleg rip of map04 of this wad with a couple edits and some different sprites. Just play this instead.

On the bright side, his plagiarised version lead me to finding this WAD. I had a bunch of random /idgames WADs to go through and one of them was Jaspur's Realm. I liked it a lot so I wanted to look into it further and now I'm here. I'll definitely be playing the full set soon, thank you guys.