Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SGNRyan

Doom (1993) box art weapon?

I noticed that, on original box art of Doom, Doomguy is holding a weapon that isn't seen anywhere ingame (or in the entirety of the classic Doom games). Anyone know if someone's drawn it/added it to a WAD? (also, is it the Zombieman rifle?)

DOOM-Original-Box-Art.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

For me it's kind of Punchatz's representation of the chaingun, or a similar gun.
You could say the same with those demons with weapons instead of hands, even if there are Cyberdemons inside the game, that army of demons look rather similar to several Barons of Hell, and a kind of demon similar to a Baron with a weapon instead of hand doesn't exist inside the game.

It's just the artist representation of what they've told him Doom is all about, with some guidelines to follow I suppose, but still with some freedom for creativity.

So yeah in summary it could be the chaingun or could be anything else really.

I thought it was supposed to be some kind of auto-pistol like Robocop's gun or a sub-machine gun. Or maybe it was the artist's interpretation of the game's starting weapon.

👔

4 hours ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

that army of demons look rather similar to several Barons of Hell, and a kind of demon similar to a Baron with a weapon instead of hand doesn't exist inside the game.

I think that those Demons are too small. They might be imps, or just demons from hell.

It looks like a machine gun, or another weapon from the DOOM Bible. They had a lot of unused content, even the soldier in the back could be from the DOOM bible.

43 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I think that those Demons are too small. They might be imps, or just demons from hell.

Imps do not have horns coming from the back of their skull, and all of their faces have the same details as the Baron's (their nasal cavity, that pair of sharp teeth at the end of their mouth). Also, you can see that the demon that the protagonist is shooting at looks like it's bleeding green blood, just like a Baron.

image.png.9dbf8be384a8903b26dba7d4075ff71a.png

Perspective and proportions can be deceitful, but it's true that they look rather small in comparison to Barons. Remember that probably the artist had some guidelines and had just an idea of what they look like. Maybe he just didn't know that they were bigger/taller.

And yeah, they can just be some random demons from Hell too. It's a possibility if the artist had some freedom for creativity. Yet, they look very similar to Barons.

I always thought that the one looking back at the viewer in the lower left kinda had a bone structure in the eye/cheek area similar to Tommy Lee Jones.  Dunno why...

The cut pistol from Doom Eternal looks like they tried to mimic the style of the one from the original cover art

np5varg0vfp41.jpg

He's probably holding an SMG, it's an easy pose for a normal man like Jhon Romero to do, unlike a pose of holding a weapon from the game, like a Chaingun or the fictional guns like the BFG or the Plasma gun (although then he could have posed with a pistol, but it wouldn't look so badass)

Maybe it was just that the artist didn't know that much of the game itself, and was told just to draw a badass marine with some bad demons, and one of them holding his right arm and throwing a spell at him, while the marine shot at them with a weapon.

idk, it's just my theory

48 minutes ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

Imps do not have horns coming from the back of their skull, and all of their faces have the same details as the Baron's (their nasal cavity, that pair of sharp teeth at the end of their mouth). Also, you can see that the demon that the protagonist is shooting at looks like it's bleeding green blood, just like a Baron.

image.png.9dbf8be384a8903b26dba7d4075ff71a.png

Perspective and proportions can be deceitful, but it's true that they look rather small in comparison to Barons. Remember that probably the artist had some guidelines and had just an idea of what they look like. Maybe he just didn't know that they were bigger/taller.

And yeah, they can just be some random demons from Hell too. It's a possibility if the artist had some freedom for creativity. Yet, they look very similar to Barons.

1 hour ago, LiT_gam3r said:

All those theories are good, but what about a demon in the center? He looks like the rest, but he has a cannon similar to the Cyberdemon's, what does that mean?

11 minutes ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

All those theories are good, but what about a demon in the center? He looks like the rest, but he has a cannon similar to the Cyberdemon's, what does that mean?

An interpretation of a cyber demon before the Cyberdemon was a thing, probably.

23 minutes ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

6 hours ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

For me it's kind of Punchatz's representation of the chaingun, or a similar gun.
You could say the same with those demons with weapons instead of hands, even if there are Cyberdemons inside the game, that army of demons look rather similar to several Barons of Hell, and a kind of demon similar to a Baron with a weapon instead of hand doesn't exist inside the game.

11 minutes ago, AtimZarr1 said:

An interpretation of a cyber demon before the Cyberdemon was a thing, probably.

A kind of Baronish Cyberdemon?
Again, it's probably just the artist creative representation (of a Cyberdemon)

Don Punchatz, the illustrator who created the DOOM logo and the famous front box cover art came over to id in mid-1993 with a male body model. Don brought a nice camera to take pictures. The model's job was to strike various poses for the marine who would be on the cover of the box.

This scene took place in the art room where Adrian and Kevin spent their days creating the STARTAN tech base texture set, clay modeling characters, digitizing them with the NeXTCube workstation, scanning hospital slides for bloody walls, and listening to the screams from the dentist's office next door.

The body model took his shirt off and started posing with our plasma gun toy. Don asked us for suggestions so I started telling him that the Marine was going to be attacked by an infinite amount of demons. It would be cool if he was on a hill and firing down into them.

https://rome.ro/news/2017/7/19/doomguys-identity-revealed

Romero may have been talking about the main piece of the Rambo gun. Who knows. But I think Mr. Punchatz used the gun only for inspiration. He just drew a cool-looking gun.

IMG_20200421_040633.jpg

On 4/20/2020 at 7:16 AM, cambreaKer said:

the weapon is in brutal doom

Yeahhhh, like it was the first mod to add a weapon like that to Doom, like it's something so great and important..

12 minutes ago, doomsucksass said:

Yeahhhh, like it was the first mod to add a weapon like that to Doom, like it's something so great and important..

i didn't say that it was the first mod to add the box art weapon and that it's great and important. i just said that it's present in the mod.