Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrthejoshmon

Microsoft GS Soundfont .SF2 File?

Hello,

I was doing some MIDI related stuff and the program I use requires .sf2 files for soundfonts, I would like to test the MIDI in the most commonly used soundfont (that Being Microsoft GS), however that is not stored as a .sf2 file, I was wondering if anybody had a .sf2 file OR a close replica of it? I've looked around online and all i can find is completely unrelated soundfonts, dead links and scams funny enough.

I did find what I believe to be a page by @Dragonfly, however the link to the soundfont is 404'd on my end ( https://www.dfdoom.com/repairing-gzdooms-general-midi-playback/ ).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

EDIT: As a side note I have tried searching this forum however the actual search function on Doomworld is refusing to work for me, I can't even search for "Doom".

27 minutes ago, mrthejoshmon said:

Hello,

I was doing some MIDI related stuff and the program I use requires .sf2 files for soundfonts, I would like to test the MIDI in the most commonly used soundfont (that Being Microsoft GS), however that is not stored as a .sf2 file, I was wondering if anybody had a .sf2 file OR a close replica of it? I've looked around online and all i can find is completely unrelated soundfonts, dead links and scams funny enough.

Its funny, but years ago for the Demoscene i had to look something up like this.

The Microsoft GS is obviously the standard midi synth, but you can dump its contents (found in gm.dls) as individual waveforms with this

And according to this, you can convert the GS synth to a .sf2 file yourself.

Its not exactly what you wanted, perhaps, but maybe a step in the right direction?

27 minutes ago, mrthejoshmon said:

EDIT: As a side note I have tried searching this forum however the actual search function on Doomworld is refusing to work for me, I can't even search for "Doom".

This is a known problem for several weeks now. Ling is busy on it, can't remember the exact post though. Sure wish i could look it up ;)

1 hour ago, maxmanium said:

Here.

Scc1t2.zip

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

Thanks for flagging this up. 404, no more!

Just as a side note, for whatever reason, some instrument volumes seem way out of whack when using gm.sf2 when compared to scc1t2.sf2. The music on e1m6 highlights how overly loud / quiet some instruments become.. The moral of the story is, even though it's only 99% accurate, scc1t2.sf2 gives you better levels overall.