Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

New COVID-19 Poll

New COVID-19 Poll  

105 members have voted

1. 1. How concerned are you about the Coronavirus?

• It's nothing to worry about
    • It's not that dangerous
    • It's a bit concerning
    • It's rather alarming
    • This could lead to disaster
    • This could lead to disaster and world governments are being idiots about it
    • Walking Dead but not as cool.
    • I don't care

The USA has 4% of the world's population yet almost a third of total COVID-19 cases. We're not genetically predisposed to contracting it. Our government is fucking up on a biblical scale and we are paying the price. 

It's rather alarming because the political and business establishment in the UK are fucking things up through a combination of callousness and incompetence.

Southern Finland (Uusimaa to be specific) was in complete lockdown for quite some time but it was recently opened as government expects people to use common sense and don't go all over the place.

Of course, everyone is going all over the place. I don't like this at all.

The real thing I'm scared of now is the vaccine. There's a high chance of it being an injection and injections are fucking scary!

16 minutes ago, Good-Old said:

The real thing I'm scared of now is the vaccine. There's a high chance of it being an injection and injections are fucking scary!

think it like this, I hate all kinds of needles, either taking or putting things in my veins, but in the case of vaccines it's at most a day of anticipation horror, 2 minutes of intense discomfort and then, immunity from a deadly disease. It's kinda worth the bad for the good

I have finally arrived in my mom's place in Malang after about 13 hours of trip. Not the best trip, but I've experienced way, way worse.

Right now, I'll just need to focus on self-isolating, finishing online college... and Ramadan fasting.

I’m concerned for the mental health of any non-rich person desperate to go back to their soul-crushing, dead-end 9 to 5.

I guess if your job is great and your coworkers are nice to be around that’s a different story, but personally this push for going back to the norm has me confused. I get why the billionaires want their worker ants back in place, I just don’t get why the worker ants are so keen to work hands to bone for a heel of bread. 

The norm is lame as fuck and for a few months I’ve had a good excuse to escape the grind and care for my home and family. Money sucks, that’s true, but when we inevitably learn nothing and return to the old norm, I for one will miss the joys of home/family life.

I have a crippling fear of needles as well, but I would've taken the Polio vaccine when that was new, and that thing was a giant, brutal ass piston with a spike on the end of it. Terrifying!

The COVID vaccine won't be anywhere near that bad, so I'd def take it. My fear of the virus itself trumps my fear of that needle any day of the week.

@Maggle You mean the inactivated one? There are two kinds of polio vaccine; the inactivated one (using the injection method you described), and the weakened one (by mouth, but also poses more risk).

As for the corona vaccine, I wonder if we'll have those kinds too or just one. There seems to be tons of them being developed, but none approved so far.

On 4/23/2020 at 1:16 AM, InDOOMnesia said:

@Mara Humans are all the same around the world, huh.

Sadly that's the truth. No matter where you go, there's always people that's just on another level of stupidity. In fact, there was a news article yesterday about Lidl (a global discount market) selling limited quantity, terrible looking sneakers (which most likely won't last for long) for 15€. People apparently rushed to the stores just to try to get these damn sneakers without any social distancing. I just have no words. Just look at them!

7QWGw2c.png

8ob7745.jpg

@Mara sheesh! At least it's a good way to single out these unconsiderate retards (my apologies to actual mentally retarded people, they can't help it unlike these jerks), then fine the shit out of them, so they are most likely never going to do this again.

I guess this can be different for everyone. But I kind of got used to the fear of getting infected. I'm very careful, while trying to stay calm.

16 hours ago, Mara said:

Tristemente esa es la verdad. No importa a dónde vayas, siempre hay personas que están en otro nivel de estupidez. De hecho, ayer hubo un artículo de noticias sobre Lidl (un mercado de descuento global) que vendía zapatillas limitadas y de aspecto terrible (que probablemente no durarán mucho) por 15 €. Aparentemente, las personas se apresuraron a las tiendas solo para tratar de obtener estas malditas zapatillas sin ningún distanciamiento social. Simplemente no tengo palabras. ¡Solo míralos!

7QWGw2c.png

8ob7745.jpg

This reminded me of the South Park Black Friday episode, ha ha ha!!

Butm the Donald Trump government is doing something similar right now: it is taking advantage of the fact that the price of oil is cheap to buy it in huge quantities, because "This is a great time to buy oil!".

It's the same thing.
People who can take advantage of this will take advantage of it.

And the tragedies or situations of chaos and despair are usually one of the ideal moments to take economic advantage.

I remember that, in my country, when a supermarket caught fire, a well-known businessman in my country took the opportunity to buy all the supermarket chains of the owners. And now this businessman owns all the supermarket chains of the previous owners. He changed the name of the supermarkets, to erase the bad memory, of course. But that tragedy where 400 people died was "his lucky break" for this businessman.

People will continue to do business and take advantage of purchase offers until the end of the world. And tragedies are usually one of the most popular moments for people. A person with economic capital is about to die, and all his heirs are already discussing business, while the sick person still lives.

@Graf Zahl you do know people in the US are concerned about the economy AND the virus at the same time, right?

Several countries didn't lock down and haven't been devastated by disease, because it turns out it isn't as deadly as initially thought, and now won't face serious economic burdens when it passes, either. We've been locked down in the US for weeks and millions of people have lost their jobs or businesses as a result. IF we just keep quarantining until it's "safe", there won't be anything to return to when we finally come out from under our rocks.

Locking down is a fine response when you have no idea what's happening, but once the data rolls in and you find out that 65+ year olds and people with underlying conditions are really the only ones getting killed by the disease, you protect THOSE demographics and let everyone else go about their business. Hiding indoors isn't doing our immune systems any favors, and that's likely what'll cause a spike in diseases when we reopen everything, not the reopening itself.

The plan isn't "fuck the mortality rate, I only care about my profits" like you suggest. Probably helps if you actually live here, and don't learn everything about the US from the BBC or whatever far-left news networks they watch in Germany.

14 minutes ago, Impie said:

[...]

Several countries didn't lock down and haven't been devastated by disease,[...]

Which countries, I'm curious?

On 5/11/2020 at 5:50 AM, kalaeth said:

Which countries, I'm curious?

Sweden and Turkey were two, i think there was at least one more.