Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yakfak

ff7 remake

the original game is a classic to me because of the music, because of the eco pressure story, because of the massive monster bestiary and because of the overall weirdness of the engine. the story itself is in bits, some cool moments but with too many "episodes" to dilute the mythos moments. the combat was really cool and expressive but attacking was too much better than many other options. enemy skill spent the whole game being useless unless you knew everything about the game in which case it became hopelessly OP. etc etc. that's my story

with that said, here's my thoughts on the new game:

good things:
Don Corneo's design is fuckin style goals

bad things:

FF7 Remake

giggle

all the voice acting is so overwrought and the fighting is dense, ridiculous and goes on forever. maybe it's group video-gamer damage that some lackey getting hit twelve times with a sword and just sort of wobbling around in place looks normal now? it just impedes enjoyment to me. I don't mind that they added some new relevant NPCs, Leslie is really cool. It's nice to see a new take on the most visually polarizing FF game? cos the original FF7 still exists so I can just go play that once I start being able to see the pixels again.

21 minutes ago, yakfak said:

the original game is a classic to me because of the music, because of the eco pressure story, because of the massive monster bestiary and because of the overall weirdness of the engine

Agreed, can't say much about the remake, as all i know about it comes from watching others on Twitch but the combat system indeed looks quite tedious. It's also disappointing that the whole game is condensed to take place in midgar.

49 minutes ago, yakfak said:

maybe it's group video-gamer damage that some lackey getting hit twelve times with a sword and just sort of wobbling around in place looks normal now?

Tedium is in vogue right now unfortunately. "Overwrought" is the perfect word to describe every aspect of it that I've seen so far.

It feels Like Xenoblade Chronicles.... but worse.... 

The thing that makes Xenoblade Chronicles IMO better in the real time combat compared to FF7 is that it doesn't feel like you are fighting a bullet sponge of a health bar. Because chain attacks and element bursts exist in both games, the amount of consistent burst damage you do in those games can delete even the tankiest of health bars and make battles still feel like battles. Best example here is the final boss who I will not spoil, this boss has the highest health of all enemies in Xenoblade 1 with all phases combined, even higher than the Avalanche Abaasy who is a level 120 superboss that is FAR tougher in difficulty than the aforementioned boss.

But despite the boss having so much health (more than 1 million to be specific), so much happens during the final boss that completely negates that feeling of hitting a wall over and over til it dies. Whether that is utilizing chain attacks, positionals, tension management, vision breaking, and quick thinking during combat that makes the whole fight still FEEL like a legitimate battle. 

FF7 Remake 90% of the time you are using different auto attacks with the occasional limit break, art, or magic every now and then. However, such different abilities are either used too sparingly or forced into the battle (looking at you Hell House). Because most of the combat is STATIC and has little changes made to make the combat more challenging, it becomes boring and more noticeable to the health sponges many of them hold. Another point to make is how the enemy almost ALWAYS targets who is controlled by the player. This undermines the entire strategy of a Final Fantasy game, as you can easily exploit this strat to almost never legitimately die in the game, not to mention ruining the whole point of a thinking turn based game (I guarantee you spent most of your heals or spells on Cloud since he is played most of the time and thus the most targeted by enemies. No one else has a chance to be given heals unless you directly play them). Xenoblade completely counters this with the aggro system and the MANY different aoe attacks enemies can grant, giving Xenoblade ironically a more turn based feel than Final Fantasy.

Square Enix seriously needs to make more complicated mechanics that are smoothly input into the game to make combat feel more impactful and still hold the high health real time battle system that they are so obsessed with.