Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LucidLocomotive

Do we know who wrote the story for Final Doom?

Were the wads made by their respective developers, and then the stories tacked on by iD Software? Or were the stories designed originally with the wads? I wonder who wrote the story lines for each game, especially TNT. I really like the whole Jupiter thing, and it adds to Doomguys character in a way, and the PTSD he would be experiencing in Doom 64. And the fact that the TNT story mentions Doomguy has been having nightmares about the creatures between D2 and FD, makes me think that the Master Levels for Doom II could be dreams/nightmares of Doomguy after the events of UD and D2, leading up to FD 

From Dario Casali's archived website: After our participation in the Evilution project (the other episode), we decided to construct our own, based on our storyline, rules and ideas. (https://web.archive.org/web/20061026004144/http://www.dcasali.com/games - finaldoom.html)

I couldn't find anything about Evilution but I assume it was written by someone from TeamTNT (Ty Halderman, possibly?). Evilution was pretty much finished and ready to go before the publishing deal with id happened. Id asked them to change some of the levels because they were too big but I couldn't find any mentions of the story.

TeamTNT also took more realistic approach to levels and design philosophy, which correspond with the text screens.

On 4/21/2020 at 11:12 AM, LucidLocomotive said:

Were the wads made by their respective developers, and then the stories tacked on by iD Software? Or were the stories designed originally with the wads? I wonder who wrote the story lines for each game, especially TNT. I really like the whole Jupiter thing, and it adds to Doomguys character in a way, and the PTSD he would be experiencing in Doom 64. And the fact that the TNT story mentions Doomguy has been having nightmares about the creatures between D2 and FD, makes me think that the Master Levels for Doom II could be dreams/nightmares of Doomguy after the events of UD and D2, leading up to FD 

Nice theory there! It really make sense in some way. And it certainly also make sense the form we have to play the maps in Master Levels, always from pistol start and not in a continuous way, like always starting a new dream but not knowing the proper start of it as the event in the map foreshadows past (paradox!!!) events.

11 minutes ago, Sankhatayan said:

From Dario Casali's archived website: After our participation in the Evilution project (the other episode), we decided to construct our own, based on our storyline, rules and ideas. (https://web.archive.org/web/20061026004144/http://www.dcasali.com/games - finaldoom.html)

I couldn't find anything about Evilution but I assume it was written by someone from TeamTNT (Ty Halderman, possibly?). Evilution was pretty much finished and ready to go before the publishing deal with id happened. Id asked them to change some of the levels because they were too big but I couldn't find any mentions of the story.

TeamTNT also took more realistic approach to levels and design philosophy, which correspond with the text screens.

I knew about the Casali making their own story for Plutonia, but as you say there is not much info about who make the story of Evilution. Probably it was written by Ty Halderman as he was usually the one that comes with the idea for the differents projects. And i starting to think that he, working on two megawads at the same time (Evilution and Icarus) by accident mixed up the stories of the wads. One can make a perfect Evilution with maps from Icarus and vice versa.
I found that this is a current problem in a lot of community megawads, ok, not much community projects have story, but sometime they have. In my way of thinking, i tend to believe that the same person that wrote the dehacked patch is, usually, the same that wrote the story on the .txt of the wad.