Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zemini

Random Demon Campaign Mode

It was briefly teased that the developers wanted to go beyond just Master Levels, so I will suggest Random mode.  As it implies, this game mode removes fixed demon spawns and makes them random to a degree.  That means every campaign play through will radically be different.  There will be some order to the chaos as we do not want to overwhelm the player with 12 marauders at the same time  ... BUT one would expect a much harder experience than the default mode.  If you die in a level, the spawns could very well change again.

New Demons:  This could also bring in opportunities to use Battlemode skins as new demon variants.  With very little creative effort I gave each some new behaviors and stats for fun.  Spawn chances TBD bases on the number of available skins and difficulty.

Zombie Mancubus:  33% reduced health, leaves behind a stink cloud that can damage the slayer over time.  Upon death, has a damaging explosion.

Red Rage Mancubus:  Immune to flame thrower, has larger AoE and increased damage.

Cat Skin Mancubus:  Due to having the essence of a cheetah, his movement speed increased by three times.

Kaiju Arch-Vile:  Extra Purple fire damage, can potentially summon a purple flame baron of hell because why not, increased HP.

Ghost Pain Elemental:  When taking large amounts of damage, this pain elemental can phase out of existence for a short period of time being immune.  Its Lost souls are ghostly and can not be targeted until the pain elemental dies.

Toad King Pain Elemental:  Deals DoT poison damage in edition to spewing out Green lost souls that will destroy a slayers radioactive suit before damaging his health.

Imperial Marauder:  Does not have a shield, but is many times faster in attack speed and movement than the normal marauder.

Inferno Lord Marauder:  Increased HP and leaves behind damaging flames wherever he walks.

Gold Marauder:  Attack rate greatly increased and spawns 2 wolfs.  Due to him wearing gold over traditional metals, his health is reduced by 33%.

None Playable Demons might also be considered.

Fortnite Skins:  These spawn VERY rarely and behave much like their vanilla counterparts with small exceptions (Coffee Fire, Dooting sounds, ect).  However killing one grants you more bounty points. 1/1000 - 1/5000 chance to spawn based on the rarity of the demon itself. Example:  Archviles are more rare than Revenants.

Bounty Points:  Collecting bounty points for skin kills gives you the right to use those skins in Battlemode/Invasions.  This might be a great way to get the skins you missed out on.  You could also earn more recolors of the same skin model as a added bonus.

Thoughts?

In the end, this just adds so much more replayabilty.

Edited by Zemini

Not sure if I like the random mode but using the skins to make demon variations with unique properties sounds pretty awesome, and easy to implement.

I totally support random mode idea. It will breath new life into campaign for sure. It is actually what I was wondering after D16....why devs make a fixed spawn for all the areas throughout the game...it feels like an outdated  design....of course random level layout would even be better.

Random Demons Mode sounds like a nice idea for adding replayability.

Speaking of custom game modes, you know how some people play Classic Doom with the "Fast" modifier enabled? What if Doom Eternal had a bonus "Frenzied" modifier that causes all demons to become permanently buffed, with increased damage, movement, and attack speed (like with a Buff Totem or an Archvile).

In my opinion devs should just add mod support to Doom eternal, fans will take care of everything. Games like og Dooms, half-life, half-life 2 and many others are still alive thanks to endless stream of mods and community support.

14 minutes ago, BarabaszEnthusiast said:

In my opinion devs should just add mod support to Doom eternal, fans will take care of everything. Games like og Dooms, half-life, half-life 2 and many others are still alive thanks to endless stream of mods and community support.

I have a feeling that id Software would love nothing more than to release modding tools, but their incompetent Bethesda overlords won't let them.

EDIT: Let's hope some dev tools "accidentally" get annonymously "leaked"

1 hour ago, BarabaszEnthusiast said:

That's definitely the main goal, though in the mean time I do like OP's idea along with future DLC and a revamped Ripatorium.

1 hour ago, Phobos Anomaly said:

I have a feeling that id Software would love nothing more than to release modding tools, but their incompetent Bethesda overlords won't let them.

Bethesda relies on their fans to fix their games through modding, after all.

28 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Bethesda relies on their fans to fix their games through modding, after all.

Developers are increasingly relying on their fans for free QA testing. Why not let them finish half-assed broken code and complete the game for free, too? Then make them pay for it! PROFIT!

On 4/23/2020 at 5:47 AM, id.dav said:

I totally support random mode idea. It will breath new life into campaign for sure. It is actually what I was wondering after D16....why devs make a fixed spawn for all the areas throughout the game...it feels like an outdated  design....of course random level layout would even be better.

Randomly generated maps is something i always liked. Discovery at every playthrough. If id really want us to keep playing the campaign for years (year passes, weekly challenges and skin series suggest that) it would certainly help.

Damn I want this feature so bad!  If the game had dozens of skins, it would keep even the most hardcore gamers playing for months.

On 4/23/2020 at 9:37 AM, Phobos Anomaly said:

EDIT: Let's hope some dev tools "accidentally" get annonymously "leaked"

Releasing modding tools is a more complicated process than you think

On 5/13/2020 at 2:20 PM, chemo said:

Releasing modding tools is a more complicated process than you think

Who said I thought it was simple?