Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Horus

[MBF21] Chain Reaction - A barrels-themed Doom II map

I made some updates following Austinado's playthrough on his stream (new zip in OP):

- Texture fixes

- Made HNTR and HMP a little easier. UV unchanged :P

- And some other minor changes

Loved it.  The world needs more goofy barrel maps.

Also, works in boom compatible ports fine. (edit: or maybe not.  saw Austinado play it for a few seconds. some triggers work differently in zdoom apparently, but the map is still completable in boom, interestingly enough)

Also, there are at least 4 softlocks, mainly with one-time teleporters and positioning of impassible decorations.

Also, here's an FDA: noisy_chain_reaction_v2.zip

Edited by NoisyVelvet

2 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

Loved it.  The world needs more goofy barrel maps.

Also, works in boom compatible ports fine. (edit: or maybe not.  saw Austinado play it for a few seconds. some triggers work differently in zdoom apparently, but the map is still completable in boom, interestingly enough)

Also, there are at least 4 softlocks, mainly with one-time teleporters and positioning of impassible decorations.

Also, here's an FDA: noisy_chain_reaction_v2.zip

Thanks for your playthrough! I updated the OP with v3 fixing the softlocks and removing the middle crackle textures that shouldn't be there. I kept the teleporters as one-time because re-entering them would be a death trap with the pain sectors, but I moved the BK further back so the issue of teleporting without picking it shouldn't happen anymore.

Yes, the map is in the Boom format so is technically completable in prBoom+ (but without the intended experience except for in the last two areas), but I deliberately didn't have it amongst the list of source ports because in non-ZDoom ports, barrels gib when crushed rather than explode (a fact I did not know until this map), whereas it was the latter behaviour I was targeting in my map. Hence I did not look to fix the crushers themselves in Boom.

Edited by Horus

@mArt1And00m3r11339 Thanks a lot for the vids, they were very helpful! Great timing too as I was about to start the process of putting this on idgames soon. Especially interesting was watching the exploits that you had found. I have fixed these to a certain extent, plus a couple of things I noted from HAK3180's playthrough, in the updated version v4.

I haven't played this, but I did watch the playthrough and I noticed there's a part where you use barrels on the two cyberdemons which come out of the walls, and I have to say that just plain doesn't work. They don't take splash damage, so barrel explosions do nothing to soften them up. I did a test map with a barrel-crusher explosion, and the Cyberdemon didn't even notice the barrels exploding.

1 hour ago, Stabbey said:

I haven't played this, but I did watch the playthrough and I noticed there's a part where you use barrels on the two cyberdemons which come out of the walls, and I have to say that just plain doesn't work. They don't take splash damage, so barrel explosions do nothing to soften them up. I did a test map with a barrel-crusher explosion, and the Cyberdemon didn't even notice the barrels exploding.

I am aware (or to be more precise, I became aware after designing the encounter and elected not to change it)

Honestly, this should be named "Moving Floor Hell" and not "Chain Reaction." Because I died mostly in crushers and acid pits behind the blue door...

A bump after three years as I finally got round to doing what I wanted to do for a while and convert this to complevel 21 so that it would run on dsda-doom (yay for generalized crushers!). Updated link is in the OP.

Just now, Sarawut said:

ฉันไม่สามารถผ่านฉากที่มีเครื่องบดจากด้านบนได้

มันสนุกมาก

ขอบคุณ!

10.gif.4e977faed75486882f2de6def3b48bc1.gif