Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MatthewPhillips

Try my Doom ][ 3-level WAD: Thy Wrath Unleashed!

2 minutes ago, MatthewPhillips said:

Not 100% sure what you mean.

Do you mean the first thread I posted about my .WAD? I've done 3-4 I think.

Is there any way I can delete them all and just create a new thread that has my screenshots + final download link?

I recommend that you have one thread with all the information about your WAD in the original post, including screenshot + final download link. I think thread deletion has to be done by a moderator. Not really sure if that's necessary though

6 minutes ago, Horus said:

I recommend that you have one thread with all the information about your WAD in the original post, including screenshot + final download link. I think thread deletion has to be done by a moderator. Not really sure if that's necessary though

Ok I added all the map info and download link to the very first post in this thread. 

Otherwise not sure what else I can do, save for asking moderators to delete all my previous threads?

If you get a chance to play, lemme know what you think, thanks!

11 minutes ago, Clippy said:

Haha holy crap this is the first time I was literally laughing at my screen watching someone play my WAD!

Somehow you kept seeing buttons and health and whatnot on screen but completely ignoring them haha

I’m only early into your video (very beginning of level 1, before the maze) but I hope you make it through! Haha

OMFG somehow you keep getting to important stuff and quickly turning away, this is like wow! 

Ate you sure you’re not trolling me? Haha this is nuts!

BTW thanks so much for playing :)

Watching you play Level 2 and you keep turning the exact same way haha and missing an important area of the map.

This is definitely an experience in learning how people play stuff. :)

1 minute ago, MatthewPhillips said:

Watching you play Level 2 and you keep turning the exact same way haha and missing an important area of the map.

This is definitely an experience in learning how people play stuff. :)

I prolly don't play stuff like most ppl

Haha

Clippy I just finished your video. That was great fun! 

Wow. I’ve never yelled at my screen so much in my life LOL!

”TURN AROUND!”

”WHY DID YOU JUST TURN AROUND??”

”PICK THAT UP!”

”SLOW DOWN AND LOOK!”

hahaha (That was me!)

That was a lot of fun though, seriously! 

Incidentally, all of those misc, damaging floors I am going to fix. I have no idea how I missed those. I wish I’d had you around to playtest. I thought I fixed them all.

I’ll fix them all and see if Gamers.org will take one more update file from me. Oooof!

I hear ya about shutting people off from levels, but I also feel like it encourages them to play the maps again. Dunno. There were quite a few times where I felt sure you’d get the secret and walked right by a switch or a spot to look in. 

I’ve also never seen someone miss the blue key on the 3rd level. It’s the first thing you see after you teleport to the big area with the CACOS and the rising walls. Your blue key got stuck behind a wall and you never knew to hit the switch to bring it down. It’s a weird bug that can sometimes happen. But the blue key is not 100% necessary to get to the end so I leave that up to the player.

Finally, I’m going to include you in my THANK YOUs (see the text files that came with my map).

It's not uncommon to see someone playing your level only to miss what you thought was an obvious switch or path; happens a lot in fact I've discovered.  

I concur, i make pretty linear maps and usually even put blinking lights around important switches, weapons, etc and find that people still miss them their first time through, from their perspective though, these landmarks aren't as obvious as they are to the map's creator.

6 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

I concur, i make pretty linear maps and usually even put blinking lights around important switches, weapons, etc and find that people still miss them their first time through, from their perspective though, these landmarks aren't as obvious as they are to the map's creator.

Totes

I've watched people play my maps and I get shocked when I see them not play it the way I think they should

and after you've spent so much time with a particular map it seems all so obvious to the Creator

FYI working this morning on fixing those few stray damaging floors. 

Also trying to decide if I want the player to be able to go back through

Spoiler

the red stone walls in the final boss encounter, or keep them closed in.

You missed a bunch of side stuff leading up to that battle. 

8 minutes ago, MatthewPhillips said:

FYI working this morning on fixing those few stray damaging floors. 

Also trying to decide if I want the player to be able to go back through

Hide contents

the red stone walls in the final boss encounter, or keep them closed in.

You missed a bunch of side stuff leading up to that battle. 

I'm the kind of person who always likes to go back for things haha

That room of imp cages I intended to save the soul sphere but couldn't get back :P

my personal preference when I make maps is to not restrict areas from ppl later but that's just how I operate anyway

if I do block areas off I let them open before the map is over. Say after a fight or whatever. But that's just my opinion 😉

i regret missing things. I intended to get max kills. Was also planning on shooting every imp in those cages but I got locked out hah hah

5 minutes ago, Clippy said:

i regret missing things. I intended to get max kills. Was also planning on shooting every imp in those cages but I got locked out hah hah

Do you think me blocking people off encourages them to replay the levels and try things a different way? Or to just say to heck with it, I only got what I got, and not bother playing again? It's something I've gone back and forth on but ultimately I seem to prefer leaving certain areas blocked off to create tension VS. letting you backtrack through everything again on one playthrough.

I'm rewatching your video again and fixing the small issues as you come across them. Like in Level 1 when you got the shotgun shells down from the ledge without lowering it first. I didn't even know that was possible. At first I thought you jumped. But you used the little platform the gun was on to gain just that tiny bit of height. So I lowered that platform down :)

Also trying to track down the misc. damaging floors I want to fix ASAP.

Me personally. I like to record first demo attempts and move on to the next thing I find on doomworld. I rarely replay things

So in my case I'm not sure I'll get around to re-exploring these places

14 minutes ago, Clippy said:

Me personally. I like to record first demo attempts and move on to the next thing I find on doomworld. I rarely replay things

No prob, but if you do return FYI you've given me some great feedback and I am already tweaking stuff as we speak. Like a batch of Cacodemons that I had initially kept stuck in one area because I didn't want them floating out too far ahead, but you noted how they all bunched up, so I unstuck them, while keeping them in the area I wanted.

if anything else comes to mind in your playthrough please let me know so I can address it. Thanks dude!

I'm almost at Level 3 in your video. 

FYI I made that

Spoiler

little ammo collecting area in Level 2 a secret

for you (you had mentioned it), so now there are

Spoiler

2 secrets on Level 2.

Edited by MatthewPhillips

AFAIK everything that you mentioned in your playthrough was fixed, here is the Changelog (with spoiler tags around it).

v30 UPDATE: April 29, 2020 at 7:30pm AST

Spoiler

LEVEL 1:

• Lowered the platform where the minigun sits so that it can't be used to reach the shells high up until you hit the button.
  • Added a low light scare in the eastern nukage floor room.
  •  Added a few more Pinkies and health vials near the beginning of the maze.
  •  Moved the health vials at the very beginning from the edge of the black wall to the center of the M and W shapes.

LEVEL 2: 

• A few spots where the floor is damaging (and should not be) were fixed.
  • Made the ammo collection room that you teleport to a secret.

LEVEL 3: 

•  There was an issue with the blue key where sometimes a wall won't drop down to reveal it, so I moved the key pedestal out beyond the wall for more visibility.
  • Added a Revenant in the 4-roomed secret area with the Invisibility sphere, but only on Hard.
  • Added a Hellknight (Hard) and some imps (Easy) guarding the teleporter that takes you to the secret Invisbility sphere just outside of the BFG room.
  • Fixed the missing inside textures when the crusher comes down in the BFG area trap.
  • Two spots where the floor is damaging (and should not be) was fixed.
  • Decided to put a set of walls between the Soulsphere trap room and the final boss battle room, and they lower down when you solve the Soulsphere trap. This is so that people don't run right ahead to the end, and skip the Soulsphere and possibly also miss the single Imp cage Berserk room.
  • Change the position of the first switch so that you are facing the wall that it will bring down, adding a little rocket ammo alcove, and moving a few bits of ammunition around.

v31 UPDATE: April 30, 2020 at 11:30am AST

Lots of details and adjustments to Level 1 thanks to Clippy's playthrough:

Spoiler

LEVEL 1:

•  Some people (like Clippy!) were missing the 2-switch secret to get the chainsaw at the very beginning of the map, and thus also missing out on the secret Berserk pack. I decided to add small ramp stairs in front of the 2 switches to make them a tiny bit more obvious.

• In the first Nazi room I pushed the first switch room back a bit so you have to walk in further to touch it. I made the entrance close back up, as I witnessed someone (Clippy!) immediately run from the room (when the lights went out) without exploring it out further. And then I added a new switch (in the Chaingunner side room) to hit to escape.

• Added another room of baddies that opens up in the first Nazi room.

• Added some rock floor and details to sections of the MAZE to make certain things (like secrets) stand out, and a door to the rocket launcher teleporter room. Love all these little details, and it helps you remember parts of the maze better.

• Removed 2 black columns in the end section of Level 1 that existed since I designed this map (with wooden textures way back then). I felt they obscured your view of the END PORTAL when you first teleport into the room. Removing them made such a big difference!