Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LucidLocomotive

Which moon do you think TNT Evilution takes place on?

If the UAC had the technology to create an artificial atmosphere and various labs and a military base on “one of Jupiter’s moons” (as mentioned in the backstory for the game in the Final Doom manual), which one do you think it would be? I think it would be Europa, because Europa is the most potentially habitable thing in our solar system behind Mars (to my knowledge), so it would make sense if they wanted to take it to a different planet, to follow Mars (and its moons) with Jupiter’s Europa. Only that the sky texture in the first chapter has mountains surrounding, and I’m pretty sure Europa is known for its smoothness. Also its gravity is comparable to that of the moon, so the UAC had to have created an artificial atmosphere to change the gravity due to all of the outside levels allowing to sprinting and normal movement. Also, the sky being white on the outdoor levels where there is no atmosphere wouldn’t make sense, so that’s where I’m leaning towards. About the mountains, Jupiter’s other moon, IO, is actually very well known for its mountains, it is covered In volcanoes. So maybe chapter 1 is on IO, and chapter 2 (the one with the space/stars sky texture) is on Europa? (Kind of like the phobos/deimos thing from Ultimate Doom) the only thing with that is that canonically the manual only mentions one moon, “on one of jupiter‘s moons” it says. So maybe its just a fictional moon that is a combination of IO and Europa, and that has an artificial atmosphere and has had its gravity levels altered by the NEW TECHNOLOGY. Hahaha, yeahhhhh thats right. Heck maybe “TNT” is the name of the company that can change a planets gravity thru tech, and they are partnered with the UAC and their name is all over the crates and doors. And yeah I know I am thinking way too hard about this and that the backstory was probably tacked on after the game was already finished as an afterthought. 

I think you’re putting too much thought into this. :P

But while we’re at it, Phobos and Deimos don’t have sufficient gravity to hold an atmosphere or have the physics behave as normally as they do in-game, meaning the UAC must have found a way to create an atmosphere and artificial gravity for any of the games to work. Phobos isn’t mountainous in reality either, and I’d be surprised if Deimos was.

So it can be wherever you want. TNT is pretty darn vague about that stuff and I’m sure the level designers didn’t have those ideas in mind while making the maps. The Lost Episodes of Doom take place on Io and Callisto (as well as Jupiter itself), and Hell to Pay has a couple levels on Io as well. 

Nevermind what the story tells. It's on Styx, the lame tiny moon of Pluto, which was only discovered in 2012, but was predicted by Edmond Hamilton as early as 1940 in his remarkably cheesy yet fun "Calling Captain Future" book. It must be there, else why is MAP29 called "River Styx", huh, huh?

I think most people, myself included, have always regarded it as Io, but it's only now I'm realising that the official description doesn't specify a moon. Anyone know where the source of the Io consensus comes from?

Posted (edited)

Another wall of text in Eastern European English incoming. Hide your grammatical articles.

I think we can assume they didn't have any specific moon in mind.

As Faceman2000 said, the original Doom's skies aren't exactly corresponding to their locations. Although Phobos (E1) is heavily cratered and full of grooves. The mountains in the sky could be very vaguely interpreted as such environment, but I don't think id folks really cared. Deimos (E2) is cratered, but the surface is noticeably smoother than that of Phobos.

TeamTNT probably just found some nice looking sky (it is very pretty) and put it in.

With that being said, I think it would be fun to try and determine which moon could be it/they may have intended it to be. That is if they did indeed have any in mind.

I never thought I would be one of those people that over-analyze 'lore', especially of something like TNT: Evilution, but here we go.

At the time of TNT: Evilution's release, we knew only 17 moons of Jupiter that could have been potentially used as the setting (79 are known right now (24.4.2020)). Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, Amalthea, Himalia, Elara, Pasiphae, Sinope, Lysithea, Carme, Ananke, Leda, Themisto, Metis, Adrastea and Thebe.  

We know this about the one Evilution takes place on:

1. E1 sky texture is set in daytime and clearly shows a brown sky and snowcapped mountains 

2. E2 sky texture is set at nighttime and is filled with stars, with no mountains in sight. We can assume the E2 part of the base is either far away from the E1 part, or that it is located higher up in the mountains seen in E1

3. While not directly stated, the UAC must be able to create and sustain earth-like atmosphere, even on outside areas surrounding the bases, if we go by the logic of the original Doom. That means, gravity, atmosphere and potential habitability aren't really factors, since UAC must be able to take care of that

4. In the manual, only one moon is mentioned. It is also stated it has 'rough-hewn landscape' (I don't know what that means and google results are confusing, help?)

It is hour past midnight where I live, and I would really like to go to sleep instead of reading 17 whole wikipedia articles about Moons of Jupiter, of all things. 

So, I will continue with analysis of each moon when I wake up. In the meantime, if you disagree with something in this 'wonderful' text, or know something that might be useful in my 'analysis', let me know.

To be continued.....

1 hour ago, Eris Falling said:

I think most people, myself included, have always regarded it as Io, but it's only now I'm realising that the official description doesn't specify a moon. Anyone know where the source of the Io consensus comes from?

For some reason I recall the instruction manual for Final Doom stating that TNT takes place on Io. As it turns out, that is not the case! It doesn’t specify which moon exactly. So I’m not sure where I read or heard this from. It better not be the Mandela effect. This year has been strange enough as is lol.

Io. That thing has a crap-load of volcanoes (I did a whole study of it for school last year) it would make sense if the rifts were made in volcanic death. It also smells like sulfur there, and Demons would love sulfur. I don't know

Posted (edited)

I'm confused as well. I am 100% certain that it is Io, and the Doom wiki says likewise, but I cannot find a reference in any official material.

Posted (edited)

It doesn't seem to take place on Jupiter, the planet doesn't appear on the sky textures of episode 1 and 2, and considering that the night sky has two random galaxies maybe the Io thing was just a last minute change. The red celestial body wich appears on Evilution's title screen could be something else, other than the great red spot, maybe it's a red dwarf star, and what's suposed to be Io, actually, its a random lava planet.

On 4/23/2020 at 6:08 PM, Eris Falling said:

On 4/23/2020 at 7:15 PM, User Name said:

For some reason I recall the instruction manual for Final Doom stating that TNT takes place on Io. As it turns out, that is not the case! It doesn’t specify which moon exactly. So I’m not sure where I read or heard this from. It better not be the Mandela effect. This year has been strange enough as is lol.

23 hours ago, Spie812 said:

I'm confused as well. I am 100% certain that it is Io, and the Doom wiki says likewise, but I cannot find a reference in any official material.

I think I know why you guys remember it being Io. The reason is because there was that weird commercial (i think) but non-canon map pack, I believe it was called “the lost episodes of doom” or something like that, and that one did specifically say it took place on Io (as well as callisto and jupiter itself as dumb as that it lol). 

43 minutes ago, LucidLocomotive said:

I think I know why you guys remember it being Io. The reason is because there was that weird commercial (i think) but non-canon map pack, I believe it was called “the lost episodes of doom” or something like that, and that one did specifically say it took place on Io (as well as callisto and jupiter itself as dumb as that it lol). 

Thats ''The Lost Episode of Doom'' for the original Doom.
And yes, E2 is called ''The Killing Fields of Io''. About it relation to TNT t has none, so i think that the Io assumption was a simple common sense about the most famous moons of Jupiter.

I always thought that the nighttime episode of TNT occur INSIDE the possesed spaceship, but corrupted by the demon influence it started to merge with hell, hence the different and strange areas inside it.
Map12: Crater, for me its certainly Doomguy sneaking into from one of the ships gates. Map13: Nukage Processing its like where the fuel is made. Map14: Steel Works is the machinery area of the ship, where the furnace that lit the big propulsor is located. Map15: Dead Zone is where things gets tricky and i think this is where it start to be notorious the influence of the demons corrupting the spaceship, as the big building seems like a control room, or the ship's bridge, but corrupted and distorted, even connecting to another dimension, teleporting you to map31: Pharao and Map32: Caribbean. Map16: Deppest Reaches is difficult to make it fit into this description, but i think its one of the most corrupted areas of the ship. Map17: Processing Area, is the courtyard to the next map18: Mill another machinery area. Map19: Shipping/Respawning is one of the docking areas of the ship. Map20: Central Processing is one of the main offices of the ship, but corrupted and distorted to the extreme.
Then, come the maps that still have name like things inside the ship, but are located in more hellish areas, like map21: Administration Center, and then the obvious mention of a part of the spaceship, Map22: Habitat deck. Map23: Lunar Mining project is where i always assumed that the spaceship arrived, a place where the UAC had a Lunar Mining Project on going, and to this extension, comes the next map24: Quarry. Map25: Baron's Den is where Doomguy first step into hell itself. Map26: Ballistyx is hell overtaken the ballistyx arsenal is located on the place/planet/moon/hell where the ship arrived, but it also have a certain conection to map29: River Styx. Map27,Map28, Map29 and Map30 all take action in hell.

The question now, its what happened at the end of Evilution?
TNT: Revilution and TNT2: Devilution have answers to this.
If things goes right, we will have also TNT: Convilution (renamed to TNT: Forever) a set of vanilla maps that were somewhat big and not correlated well with the rest of the maps.

And after all this much love Evilution is having recently thanks to @LucidLocomotive, i really want to put my hands in TNT2: Devilution.
I can't count the times i replayed Evilution and Revilution by now, i have serious hunger for TNT related material.
Oh, gonna spend my time playing all Eternal(author)'s mapsets. He is a declared fan of TNT aesthetic and mapping choices.