Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Flavio Manna

What appens when a monster harms a dormant state's monster?

Hi, i'm trying to understand Doom monster's logic, and i was asking to myself, when a monster harms a dormant state's monster (so a monster wich hasn't seen the player yet) does he immediately wakes up and targets the other monster or he needs to be harmed multiple time before waking up? 

According to decino's video (can't remember which one), the monster will fight back until it is either dead or has killed the aggressor, and will go back to being dormant

^Unless you're in the monster's field of view when the fight ends, in which case it will start attacking you.

6 hours ago, Good-Old said:

IIRC, dormant monsters are immortal statues. They won't harm you or die.

That's true for Hexen's inactive monsters, which are woken up by scripts. The question is about idle monsters, who are dormant in that they haven't seen or heard the player yet so they're waiting in place.

On jeudi 23 avril 2020 at 8:05 PM, Flavio Manna said:

Hi, i'm trying to understand Doom monster's logic, and i was asking to myself, when a monster harms a dormant state's monster (so a monster wich hasn't seen the player yet) does he immediately wakes up and targets the other monster or he needs to be harmed multiple time before waking up? 

AFAIK, the monster will start fighting its aggressor if it is sent to its pain state; but will not react otherwise.

16 hours ago, Gez said:

That's true for Hexen's inactive monsters, which are woken up by scripts.

Thanks for correcting me. I forgot that the map I was making was in ZDoom Hexen format. Apologies.