Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thorogrimm

How to Kill Player at End of Level?

Question

I've seen this in other maps and I know it's a common way to make a player start the following map with just the pistol, so I was wondering if there were ways to quickly kill the player before the level ends?

So far, I've got the idea of teleporting you to a destination surrounded by revenants/mancubi and having a crusher above you? It would be cool though if there was a delay or some way to do it instantly without fiddling around too much.

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Thorogrimm

10 answers to this question

Take a look at how Scythe does it. When it kills you it also kills the BossBrain thing which ends the level once it calls A_BrainDie. Really quite clever.

There's plenty of ways to kill the player quickly. The quickest way I can think of is having the player telefrag a voodoo doll. Just have a linedef with an action that teleports the player to a sector that is already occupied by another player 1 start.

6 minutes ago, phoo said:

There's plenty of ways to kill the player quickly. The quickest way I can think of is having the player telefrag a voodoo doll. Just have a linedef with an action that teleports the player to a sector that is already occupied by another player 1 start.

Aaah, I gotcha. I'll give it a try :)

27 minutes ago, phoo said:

How do you make a voodoo doll? I've added an extra player position but all it seems to do is use the one at the end of the level.

5 minutes ago, Thorogrimm said:

How do you make a voodoo doll? I've added an extra player position but all it seems to do is use the one at the end of the level.

I should have mentioned this in my previous post; when the map loads, the most recently created player start is the one that will be controlled by the player. To fix this, you'll have to just move around the player starts so that the player start that was created first is the voodoo doll and the new player start you added should be treated as the regular player start. 

Just now, phoo said:

I should have mentioned this in my last post; when the map loads, the most recently created player start is the one that will be controlled by the player. To fix this, you'll have to just move around the player starts so that the player start that was created first is the voodoo doll and the new player start you added should be treated as the regular player start. 

This helped, much appreciated!

Just now, Thorogrimm said:

This helped, much appreciated!

You're welcome!

I assume you want the map to end in a way that implies that the player died while still completing the level and taking them to the stat screen, and that you're doing this with vanilla actions and without scripting.

If I recall, there is a damaging floor type that automatically ends the level when the player's health gets below a certain threshold. I've never used it but that was how E1M8 of Doom ended. I'm pretty sure that MAP11 of the Plutonia Experiment used that same sector action as well if you went to the wrong exit teleporter and survived the four Arch Viles in that little box. I'm also pretty sure that any monsters standing in that same sector aren't counted towards the kills percentage. I'm too lazy to open the editor and check myself right now, so I'm not too sure about how that works.

Unless you don't want to the map to register as completed and go to the stat screen, I wouldn't recommend telefraging the player with a voodoo doll to end the map. It likely wouldn't leave the best impression.

Though, if you are using scripts and whatever such non-vanilla stuff then everything I just said is probably irrelevant to you.

The way I did it in Doom404 was to have you teleport into a very dark room densely filled with barrels and a romero head - including a barrel where you teleport.  You teleport in and explode that barrel by your very presence, which explodes all the other barrels, killing you and the romero head and ending the map.  MAP06 has an example of this.

4 hours ago, Skeletonpatch said:

I assume you want the map to end in a way that implies that the player died while still completing the level and taking them to the stat screen, and that you're doing this with vanilla actions and without scripting.

If I recall, there is a damaging floor type that automatically ends the level when the player's health gets below a certain threshold. I've never used it but that was how E1M8 of Doom ended. I'm pretty sure that MAP11 of the Plutonia Experiment used that same sector action as well if you went to the wrong exit teleporter and survived the four Arch Viles in that little box. I'm also pretty sure that any monsters standing in that same sector aren't counted towards the kills percentage. I'm too lazy to open the editor and check myself right now, so I'm not too sure about how that works.

Unless you don't want to the map to register as completed and go to the stat screen, I wouldn't recommend telefraging the player with a voodoo doll to end the map. It likely wouldn't leave the best impression.

Though, if you are using scripts and whatever such non-vanilla stuff then everything I just said is probably irrelevant to you.

I can give that a try but the way I did it was place an End Level line very close to a teleport line which teleported you, telefragging a voodoo doll and ending the level instantly.

What I need to happen was have the player start the next map with just the pistol.

Edited by Thorogrimm