Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sufferer

simple trap (DoomBuilder X)

Question

Hello, I'm currently making a map and as you can tell from the title I want to make a trap 

I want to make it so that as the player runs over a specific area it lowers two doors revealing Barons/Hell Knights. unfortunately, I don't know how to do that 

I use Doom in Hexen format 

9 answers to this question

Since you are mapping for DiHF there is just the right special for that.

Spoiler

BjbSAKA.png

9998 is triggered when the actor, in this case the player, enters the sector where the special is placed.

7 hours ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

You can make a linedef, give it a tag and make it something like: W1 Open door stay.

Then, make the doors with the enemies and give them the tag you gave to the linedef (DON'T give the tag to the sector, give it to the linedef of the door).

Now if you walk through the linedef the doors will open

you're pretty much right until the bolded part, where you're wrong there. It must be a sector of the door.

Edited by ZeroTheEro

Yeah, cause you're already triggering the W1 line action.

Anyway, tag it to the door sector, done.

What kind of confused me at the OP is that he wanted 2 doors to lower.. lower? sounds more like the lowering of floors heh.

If that's the case, I think in Hexen format is all you'd have to do is change the direction of the door to move down instead of up, right? Been a minute since I've messed with Hexen data types.

In Kappes Buur's explanation though, he's using a thing special instead of a line action.

Either way of course works.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

You can make a linedef, give it a tag and make it something like: W1 Open door stay.

Then, make the doors with the enemies and give them the tag you gave to the linedef (DON'T give the tag to the sector, give it to the linedef of the door).

Now if you walk through the linedef the doors will open

Linedef of the door? That doesn't sound right.

Maybe GZ Doom can correct it, but I'm pretty sure tag goes to door sector and trigger line.

16 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Yeah, cause you're already triggering the W1 line action.

Anyway, tag it to the door sector, done.

What kind of confused me at the OP is that he wanted 2 doors to lower.. lower? sounds more like the lowering of floors heh.

If that's the case, I think in Hexen format is all you'd have to do is change the direction of the door to move down instead of up, right? Been a minute since I've messed with Hexen data types.

I messed up my wording I meant to say raise 

Ah, no worries, we all do it.

Never the less, I must have been thinking of scripts to make a door go down anyways. ~ I suppose it really won't be a door anymore though, but just a move sector function, basically the move floor down action heh. ;)

Btw, If you're wondering how to keep your door track from moving when the door opens? ~ it's usually the next question..

Select both of those door track linedefs, then check the Lower Unpegged checkbox. 

Edited by Mr.Rocket

52 minutes ago, ZeroTheEro said:

you're pretty much right until the bolded part, where you're wrong there. It must be a sector.

Oh well, that's how i do it in DB2.

14 minutes ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

Oh well, that's how i do it in DB2.

You must be over looking something, that door (even in DB2) will never open unless the door sector is tagged also.

Both door sector, and the line action to make it move will need to be tagged.