Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foebane72

Urdak

I finally went past this stage today, and I have to admit, it is the prettiest-looking part of the game. The look of "heaven" is quite impressive, as was that wonderful soundtrack consisting of a single note sung by a choir (almost creepy when you realise what it is), and what I can only describe as an environment built out of electronic circuits.

No, seriously, go back to any part of the map and look carefully at ANY surface, even the platforms: you'll see an artificial-looking structure that looks like the tracks of a circuit board with all of their 45-degree turns, in both large scale and small, and the pattern is EVERYWHERE, even on unfinished or damaged sections. Makes me wonder if nanobots built the entire place!

In all, liked this map a lot, even if I was naughty and used Cheat Engine and "noclip" to get past the worst platforming puzzle in the whole game.

There was a platforming section where I was genuinely stuck for a bit; it's that section where you have to jump off a climbable wall and into one of those boost ring things and then another one turning left. For some reason I kept failing to reach the first boost ring after jumping off the wall. I did manage to figure it out when I discovered that going through those boost rings refills your air jump.

I still haven't done the Khan Maykr fight, I first came across it after a prolonged session and decided that it would be best tackled with a clear head.

34 minutes ago, NoXion said:

I still haven't done the Khan Maykr fight, I first came across it after a prolonged session and decided that it would be best tackled with a clear head.

I confess, I completed the game but used Cheat Engine and "god" as well, from Nekravol Part 1 (just before the Marauder, a particularly nasty fight with the Arch-vile and squishy areas) all the way until the end. But "noclip" I only used against the platforming puzzle I kept dying at in Urdak. I did so because I figured I just wouldn't win, and it turns out I was right.

What baffles me is that Steam still thinks I completed it fairly and didn't remove any of my achievements or anything; in fact, it even gave me a couple! I only feel slightly guilty, but I'm glad I played it fair and square for the most part.

3 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

I confess, I completed the game but used Cheat Engine and "god" as well, from Nekravol Part 1 (just before the Marauder, a particularly nasty fight with the Arch-vile and squishy areas) all the way until the end. But "noclip" I only used against the platforming puzzle I kept dying at in Urdak. I did so because I figured I just wouldn't win, and it turns out I was right.

What baffles me is that Steam still thinks I completed it fairly and didn't remove any of my achievements or anything; in fact, it even gave me a couple! I only feel slightly guilty, but I'm glad I played it fair and square for the most part.

There's a prideful part of me that wants to complete games legitimately. I also have a large library of unfinished games. These two facts may be related.

I hope you're not disappointed in me, Noxion :/

In any case, I think Doom Eternal is the first official Doom game I've ever cheated at to win. I'm proud to have beaten Doom 2016 fair and square, however.

3 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

I hope you're not disappointed in me, Noxion :/

Not at all. You can still go back and do it legitimately, should you ever decide to do that.

6 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

In any case, I think Doom Eternal is the first official Doom game I've ever cheated at to win. I'm proud to have beaten Doom 2016 fair and square, however.

That's cool, unfortunately Doom 2016 is one of those games I haven't yet completed. If I ever find the wherewithal I reckon I could do it, although getting used to the more limited arsenal and mechanics might entail a period of adjustment.

I always wondered if the “unfinished” parts of Urdak were signs that the city was decaying or in the process of being built. I’m guessing the former, since the species isn’t doing so well without a Father and a proper rotation of Khans. 

Was really curious going into it how ID would end up portraying 'heaven' in the Doom Universe, and I can't say I am disappointed. The whole design motif of beautiful and smooth at first glance followed by an almost Giger-like organic technology architecture underneath does an amazing job at selling the duality of the Maykrs themselves. Honestly the only thing I thing ID missed the mark on was the chance to either fight the Maykr Angels themselves or at lease have had Maykr drones show up on a few more levels rather than being confined to this one level (and Slayer Gate). Something that can surely be visited upon in DLC I am sure.

The music for Urdak especially deserves special props as well, definitely one of the most fitting ambient tracks to any level in the game period.

This is the thread for Urdak lovers, right? I really wanna see more of it in DLCs.

Spoiler

And crush some angel heads, of course.