Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ViolentBeetle

Hypothetical mapping project: Way back home

I had an mapping idea the other day and from this idea I got an idea for possible large-scale project. It's quite possible such a thing was already done, but I couldn't find references to it.

The idea is to remake Doom 2 in reverse, representing Doomguy's journey home after defeating Icon of Sin, while demons are trying to avenge their leader. So the player starts next to destroyed Icon of Sin and has to travel back all the way to the Entryway. The levels must be identifiable as the original ones, but also modified and defaced - for example by making damaged areas, collapsed tunnels and knocked down walls, jammed doors potentially creating an entirely different route, signs of demonic corruption, like, say, fleshy growth forming a staircase over what used to be one-way drop. Each level starts at the exit switch/line and must travel back to the starting area.

Would you be interested in participating in something like this?

Is it OK to just outright reuse the ID's maps?

Or perhaps it was already done, in which case there's no point but I'd like to have a look.

Outright using ID maps may not be accepted (unless they're heavily edited) however a "DooM 2 in reverse" is surprisingly quite unique of an idea, I'd happily chip in a map or two.

Though if we go by DooM 2 map styles then MAP12 or MAP13 would be the cut-off point since that is the start of the Earth levels.

11 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

since that is the start of the Earth levels.

Aren't we on Earth since like, MAP01? Whoops, didn't notice that Doomguy's city is from MAP12 onwards.

No, all maps until Doomguy enters hell are on Earth. He arrived on Earth following Act III of original Doom. First act is spaceport, with Doomguy trying to do something that would let humanity escape into space. After which he sets out to his home city to get to the portal to hell.

It stands to reason that he'd travel back to spaceport to join the survivors or clear space for them to land.

2 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Outright using ID maps may not be accepted (unless they're heavily edited) however a "DooM 2 in reverse" is surprisingly quite unique of an idea, I'd happily chip in a map or two.

Yeah, is a interesting idea that I've actually thinking of too (more on a joke side, with the level starting with wolf 3d theme and then progressing to hell, city and starport / techbase as 3rd episode or just the secret maps...

Overall, is not much of a unique concept, since this thing experimented with a "return home after defeating icon of sin" scenario.

In defence of fair use, I don't really see how much using pieces of Doom 2 geometry would be different from using their textures. If one wants to play actual Doom 2, they'd still need original WAD, playing it in reverse is not a substitute.

I'm going to throw together a prototype of a map to show how I imagine it to work later.

On 4/24/2020 at 7:57 PM, ViolentBeetle said:

Or perhaps it was already done, in which case there's no point but I'd like to have a look.

I remember hearing this idea kicked around once. I think it was in the context of Doom (you start in Dis and end in Hangar), but I don't think it went anywhere. This could be an interesting idea, especially since the canonical end of Doom 2 had the IoS thrashing limbs "destroy untold miles of Hell."

You may want to come up with a concept map or two, to show people what you're thinking of regarding "modified and defaced" architecture and/or signs of demonic corruption.

On 4/24/2020 at 7:57 PM, ViolentBeetle said:

Is it OK to just outright reuse the ID's maps?

Switcheroom and Switcheroom 2 are based on the idea of making a level that had the flavor of one of the original levels, but using a different theme (e.g., Spirit World with a city theme). You had to do more than just re-texture the original map, but your map had to be recognizable as whatever the original base. My point is that the maps were heavily modified, which is why they would pass muster and be allowed on idgames. You would have to similarly heavily modify the original maps (far more than just a jammed door here or a battle damage there). If you took the original maps and reworked them to create entirely new layouts, routes, and encounters, I think that would be acceptable.

3 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

You may want to come up with a concept map or two, to show people what you're thinking of regarding "modified and defaced" architecture and/or signs of demonic corruption

Yeah, I'm in a planning stage of making MAP30 based on Entryway right now, expect a prototype soon.