Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LateToDOOM2020

New To Doom With Many Questions

So I'm new to doom and I just went through and beat it for....the first one (Doom / Ultimate Doom??)

• Knee-Deep in the Dead
  • The Shores of Hell
  • Inferno
  • Thy Flesh Consumed

Now I'm hooked and want to get the most out of doom and it lead me to some questions.

Does anyone even play the original doom anymore?  I have it running through dos box.

If so How can I play team death match with someone over the internet... I know this was in the 90's with modems and using phone numbers?? not ip addresses so its a bit tricky i assume to do now days. But I think about all those great team death match maps going to waste!

If I was to release a wad for the original doom would anyone even care or is this just super old and pointless?

If there is still a focus on the original doom as it somewhat seems there may be I am making a wad ill post later and I have some simple scripts i wrote to uncomplicate the commandline arguments for DOS box so its easy to use DOOM.EXE without worrying about dos box i use the scripts to run wad files real quickly etc.. maybe someone else will find use in them

Posted (edited)

There is a link to thread above, but I won't miss my chance to type some words.

1. There are 5 main categories/compatibilities of WADs: Vanilla, Limit-Removing, Boom, MBF, ZDoom. You can play the first four on PRBoom+, and the last on (G/L)ZDoom.

2. There are 3 main multiplayer ports: Odamex (classic but dead), ZDaemon (devolved ZDoom), Zandronum (full of servers with 1gb mods).

3. No no no. Don't be pessimistic! If you release a vanilla WAD, people will play it, if only for a short time. Just (EDIT:) do make a D!Zone-tier abomination, please.

Edited by Kut : i was stupid

2 hours ago, LateToDOOM2020 said:

If so How can I play team death match with someone over the internet... I know this was in the 90's with modems and using phone numbers?? not ip addresses so its a bit tricky i assume to do now days. But I think about all those great team death match maps going to waste!

If I was to release a wad for the original doom would anyone even care or is this just super old and pointless?

• Join this Discord server for multiplayer Dooming stuff, from general discussions to tournament arranging. https://discord.gg/5ZzRs5
  • New user-made maps (or mods) and teasers are released daily on this very site and usually gather attention and feedback within a hour, so yeah, as long as your wad has no intention of trolling players, you are free to release it - people may even like it!

On console, they just released a DOOM 1/2/3/64 remake which a lot of people seem to like. I for one am those lots of people. 

9 hours ago, LateToDOOM2020 said:

Now I'm hooked and want to get the most out of doom and it lead me to some questions.

Welcome to the Doom community, first and formost! You will find a colllection of WADS that will last you a lifetime (quite literally.) :)

You have been helped with various links before so ill just offer some generic advice and links. Perhaps it is useful for you :)

Does anyone even play the original doom anymore?  I have it running through dos box.

• Sure people play the original Doom! The game's are popular enough that they see rather frequent re-releases, recently they have been released for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch. They don't use DOSBox though - They are played through what is called a ''framework'' that allows execution of the classic code through a modern interpreter (Unity).
  • You play the game with DOSBox, which allows you play it exactly as it was in 1993. There is however, a project that sticks as close to the original as possible, but allows it to run on modern systems. This version is called Chocolate Doom.

A few details about Choco:

• Chocolate Doom is what you call a source port. A source port is, like the name says, a port of the original Doom code, often to a newer operating system (Like Windows, or Linux) or even to a different platform. Source ports come in various forms - A lot expand upon the existing code, making it more friendly towards end users, or modders. Chocolate Doom has an entry on the Doom Wiki. This is a Wikipedia for all things Doom.
  • The name Chocolate may confuse you. It is a in-joke on the original way of playing Doom (Through DOS or DOSBox). This is often unofficially called Vanilla Doom or Vanilla. Chocolate in this case is essentially an enhanced flavor of Vanilla, which is where the pun comes from.

(I also keep being impressed that DOSBox is being used to play the game. One should really make a minimalist distribution solely made to launch Doom shareware in DOSBox.)

In order to play multiplayer team deathmatch Doom, you need one of the aforementioned source ports. As explained above, a source port is a port of the original Doom code. In this case, the following source ports have a key focus on multiplayer, but also include several other improvements. Each of the following options will link to a Doom Wiki entry so you can find more information on the port. The three primary source ports for multiplayer are:

Each has their own pluses and minuses.

Not at all! Doom 1 wads (Or Ultimate Doom wads) are less common than Doom 2, but because of this, a good wad that is made for these will be appreciated quicker because of it. Ofcourse, a WAD has to be good before it can recieve any praise. ;)

I have some simple scripts i wrote to uncomplicate the commandline arguments for DOS box so its easy to use DOOM.EXE without worrying about dos box i use the scripts to run wad files real quickly etc.. maybe someone else will find use in them

This actually has my interest (See the distribution Dosbox idea above) and i do like to take a peek at these scripts :)

Hope this helps!

Thank you guys for all the resources so far! So from what it sounds like theres plenty of platforms and versions of doom i felt overwhelmed not sure where to even begin so thanks Ill do some reading on these suggestions. 

Regarding WADS 

9 hours ago, Kut said:

3. No no no. Don't be pessimistic! If you release a vanilla WAD, people will play it, if only for a short time. Just don't make a D!Zone-tier abomination, please.

8 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:
  • New user-made maps (or mods) and teasers are released daily on this very site and usually gather attention and feedback within a hour, so yeah, as long as your wad has no intention of trolling players, you are free to release it - people may even like it!

I think i will defiantly post my WAD when its complete for doom2 I'm exited now seeing there is a community for this still.  I am on my second wad attempt avoiding large maps as i learned the hard way about issues forming. 

49 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

This actually has my interest (See the distribution Dosbox idea above) and i do like to take a peek at these scripts :)

As for the scripts I can make a post soon on them or just message them to you however. if there is a legit want or need for dosbox abstraction for doom maybe I can make a command line tool like that im just lazy and don't want to spend all day working on researching dosbox to perfect a tool. 

So now that it makes more sense with all of this
I guess not everyone playing the new doom versions! (meaning a doom community exists for the old style!) 
I will check out the community and see all the great doom wads and such things. 

Glad to jump in to the community

Posted (edited)

Liar liar pants on fire

Edited by Redneckerz : What i said was not correct.

Posted (edited)

ok kut mentioned the '5 main categories/compatibilities of WADs' without bothering to explain what they are or how to access them. I'll try to keep this short.

very fast edit: the way to use 'source ports' is to download 'em, unzip 'em, and copy your doom2.wad (or doom.wad, tnt.wad, plutonia.wad) file over to the directory you unzipped the port to. Try looking in these locations if you got Doom off of Steam.

To play user made wads all you should have to do is unzip the wad file and then drag and drop them onto your source port's .exe, for example if you wanted to play Suspended in Dusk (see below) using Crispy Doom (also see below) you'd highlight sid.wad and drag it onto crispy-doom.exe.

VANILLA: Basically exactly the same as the original DOS engine you played already. Any wad, aka collection of user levels, that advertises itself as 'vanilla compatible' should be playable in DOSBox. The preferred source port for vanilla purists is Chocolate Doom (already mentioned).

An awesome vanilla-compatible wad is Suspended in Dusk.

LIMIT-REMOVING: Vanilla's great but the original engine will crash or otherwise glitch out if there's too much stuff on screen at once. 'Limit-removing' engines remove these limits (or just raise them really really high) allowing you to play larger, more complex levels, but are otherwise exactly the same as vanilla engines.

The main limit removing port is Crispy Doom. It's my favourite engine and includes a lot of stuff to make the game look better too, such as uncapped framerates, widescreen, weapon recoil, translucent sprites and so on.

The Doomer Boards Projects are an excellent series of wads that are made for limit removing engines (I made some maps for them but that doesn't mean they're bad). Cyb's Freaky Colonoscopy nearly won an award recently and has 2 maps by me so I recommend that one, but you really can't go wrong.

BOOM: Boom is a different mapping format that extends the Doom engine in a lot of ways that are useful to mappers. It does change the game physics quite a bit, however, so it doesn't really replace vanilla or limit-removing stuff.

The preferred Boom engine is prBoom+. HOWEVER, it also introduces the concept of 'compatibility levels' (accessed by typing -complevel X at the command line; the docs will tell you more) which enable you to play vanilla, limit-removing or MBF (below) levels too, so you can use this for most levels out there.

Sunlust is really cool, but also extremely hard.

MBF ('MARINE'S BEST FRIEND'): Basically Boom but with even more features for mappers.

Generally people use prBoom+ to play MBF maps, but Doom Retro is really cool. It's derived from Crispy Doom but has even more nice visual features to make the game look great and also works with Boom and MBF stuff.

Check out Valiant!

ZDOOM: This is the premiere advanced port, which way more stuff than all of the other ports put together. All (or practically all) the really wild mods you see on youtube are made using some version of ZDoom, but it does change the game a lot by default. However, you can change the compatibility settings in the game menus quite easily to have a very vanilla/Boom experience -- if you're not super fussy about vanilla compatibility and you only want one port this should probably be it, since it will play basically anything you throw at it.

There are a couple versions available. GZDoom is the leader of the pack and gets all the newest features, LZDoom is for older computers. The original ZDoom is included for legacy purposes only and doesn't do anything the others can't.

I can't think of a really awesome ZDoom wad because ZDoom wads usually change too much stuff about the game for my liking olololool. Hurt has nice screenshots though.

Edited by dmdr : forgot something

Hi Guys,

I have Doom II running through DOSBox.

Can I download SKYTHE or Plutonia experiment and run it through DOSBox.

If not, what is WAD and how to run it on a laptop ?

Thanks.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Paresh said:

Can I download SKYTHE or Plutonia experiment and run it through DOSBox.

If not, what is WAD and how to run it on a laptop ?

Yes you can. But given that you are running Doom 2 on a laptop, you should be using source ports instead.

A source port is, like the name says, a port of the original Doom code, often to a newer operating system (Like Windows, or Linux) or even to a different platform. Source ports come in various forms - A lot expand upon the existing code, making it more friendly towards end users, or modders.

They are usually meant for enhancing your Doom experience (e.g better controls, higher FPS, etc.)

WAD stands for "Where's All the Data?"; and comes in 2 forms.

• IWAD: Internal WADs, which source ports need. (e.g Doom 2, Plutonia Experiment).
  • PWAD: Patch WADs, essentially "Doom mods"; must be used in conjunction with an IWAD. (e.g SKYTHE must be used with Doom 2).

To set up  and use a source port, it is recommended to install GZDoom (zdoom.org) and follow the text below.

For choosing a source port, one should check the official website for more detailed information and support. Most source ports specialize in certain types of functionality and features. For a more detailed overview on source ports, see comparison of Doom source ports. (https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Comparison_of_source_ports#Comparison_by_features)

To setup a source port, first install the game as normal. Then go the source port's web site, download the source port's Windows version (usually stored in a Zip file), and extract the archive into the location where the game was installed. Running the source port executable (e.g. the file named prboom-plus.exe for PrBoom+, zdoom.exe for ZDoom and so on) should then start the game. Note that you need to place the IWAD(s) in GZDoom's folder to start playing (Doom 2 is called DOOM2.WAD; Doom 1 is called DOOM.WAD, Plutonia Experiment is called PLUTONIA.WAD). They can be found in Steam/GOG's Doom/Doom 2/Final Doom game folder.

Many source ports, including Chocolate Doom and ZDoom, can detect the GOG.com or Steam installation paths for the official versions of the game, and will automatically play them without requiring any copying of the IWAD files.

After that, click gzdoom.exe (in GZDoom's unzipped folder) to start playing Doom!

This is just so much good information thank you.

Just to clarify though does ZDOOM have some simple argument to use so i can run a old doom2/ doom1 wad?

you can run almost any wad, including all vanilla/limit-removing, Boom, and MBF wads, just by using the drag and drop method I described.

The default ZDoom settings do change the game physics and mechanics quite a lot, so if that bothers you check this page on the ZDoom wiki which explains the compatibility menu -- TL;DR, you get the most old-school experience by setting the 'Compatibility mode' (up the top of the screenshot) to 'Doom (Strict)'.

18 minutes ago, LateToDOOM2020 said:

This is just so much good information thank you.

Just to clarify though does ZDOOM have some simple argument to use so i can run a old doom2/ doom1 wad?

Here are the command line arguments for ZDoom: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Command_line_parameters

I guess the ones you mainly want to use are -iwad (to choose between Doom/Doom II/Plutonia/TNT) and -file (to load user maps).

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, cybdmn said:

Here are the command line arguments for ZDoom: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Command_line_parameters

I guess the ones you mainly want to use are -iwad (to choose between Doom/Doom II/Plutonia/TNT) and -file (to load user maps).

As far as I know, if you have more than one IWAD in the folder, ZDoom will bring up a window to ask you which you want to use, so -iwad isn't really necessary.

I play doom through a dos emulator all the time. I use Magic Dosbox for Android and play it on the go whenever. I personally prefer it over delta touch.

This is perfect to get a good idea of what to use. And Yea I'm using a dos emulator right now too.
I think ill go with ZDoom When i finish my wad I'm making.
Thanks everyone for such information!

Posted (edited)

Respect to anyone still running the Dos executables with all their problems. I cannot do it without my eyes watering.

Hey I know this is an old topic now but i thought about some things and realized I never played DOOM 2.
I played the original DOOM and that explains why i never see the skeleton like monsters and some of the new weapons as well as chain gunners ad other things i have seen but never played with.
How do i even get this?
I have GZDoom but it seems like this is for DOOM 1 Only is this correct? Can I play DOOM 2 on GZDoom?

I don't see anything that looks like its possible to do that.

11 minutes ago, LateToDOOM2020 said:

Can I play DOOM 2 on GZDoom?

Yes of course you can.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, LateToDOOM2020 said:

Hey I know this is an old topic now but i thought about some things and realized I never played DOOM 2.
I played the original DOOM and that explains why i never see the skeleton like monsters and some of the new weapons as well as chain gunners ad other things i have seen but never played with.
How do i even get this?
I have GZDoom but it seems like this is for DOOM 1 Only is this correct? Can I play DOOM 2 on GZDoom?

I don't see anything that looks like its possible to do that.

You can play Doom 2 on GZDoom, but you need doom2.wad. If you buy Doom 2 (I bought it from Steam) you will have this file. If you want to use GZDoom though, the wad file needs to be in the same folder as the executable. Same applies to plutonia.wad and tnt.wad.

Wow I have a lot to learn Thanks very much.
Pretty cool though It means there are more levels i have not even played yet !😱

1 hour ago, Pseudonaut said:

If you want to use GZDoom though, the wad file needs to be in the same folder as the executable. Same applies to plutonia.wad and tnt.wad.

Not necessarily. This restriction applies only to the vanilla and some early ports. Most ports today, including (G)ZDoom, support the %DOOMWADDIR% environmental variable to point them to a centralized IWAD location.

Doom is actually growing and its building quite the community everyday. Its one of those games that will never be forgotten due to it having quite a historical milestone in the gaming industry. And thanks to Doom eternal, an absolute load of people started to gain interest in the game so its also slowly connecting with other types of people. Dont feel that you started off late, just be happy that you were there! People will still play this game decades later. I myself started playing very late and many others here have too.

So yes we will play your WADS!

And if you wanna game with us on multiplayer then Zanondrum is the way to go!

And also I would recommend getting crispy doom to play doom on since its just soooooo smooth and the quality of life changes are spectacular. GZDoom is best for mods though.

7 hours ago, Marcinski said:

And if you wanna game with us on multiplayer then Zanondrum is the way to go!

Thanks to your advice as well as others who replied to this post i tried multiplayer and WOW is it different!

14 hours ago, Marcinski said:

Zanondrum

Isn't that the bad guy in Zelda?

No, it's a ZDoom-based keyboard mod that disables the apostrophe key until next reboot.