Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DMPhobos

Doomsday Keep (Doom 64)

4 hours ago, I_Punch_Demons said:

Wait the new PC port can handle custom content? I didn't know that. Gonna have to check this out when I'm done with the current playthrough. 

Yes indeed it can! It has some limits, but they are saying the next patch will allow it to be even more moddable! Now to download and play this map! :)

I was in no rush so it took me about 16 minutes to beat the map on "Watch Me Die" and found 50% of the secrets. I really do enjoy maps of that length and yours is no different. Spoiler comments below.

Spoiler

Plenty of health but I found myself a little lacking in ammo. I was still able to get through the level just didn't get 100% of the kills. I found the first secret with the backpack so that helped!

Found the level easy and fun to navigate. It is interesting how it looped around, made it easy to get where I needed to go. And because of its size I always knew where I needed to be.

Thank you for the weapon choices! Having super shotgun, rocket launcher, and chaingun really makes sense with the enemies in the level. I recently played some of the "Absolution TC" levels and it's a bit of a long slog having to single shotgun attack barons and pain elementals on their first level. Speaking of that, I liked where you put the baron, arachnotrons, and mancubuses.

I liked the geometry and particularly the curved staircase in the level. The lighting in the cave was pretty cool. I think more contrast in the gradient lighting elsewhere would spice up the way the level looks. Like perhaps more false ambient occlusion where walls are darker on the bottom than the top. I have never mapped before so I don't know if this hard within the limits of the engine or might not actually end up looking good.

Overall, I enjoyed the map and I am glad it finally came out! Let me know if you make more!

I have recorded the world's first Nightmare demo for this level! :D

https://doomshack.org/uploads/D64EX_DKeep_Skill5.lmp

You will need the latest official version of Doom 64 EX for this to work! I mention this because I tried sharing demos with someone before and they were incompatible because of different versions of D64EX. Also, you need the actual N64 ROM WAD; the Steam version's WAD is different!

I recorded this on D64EX because the new Steam port does not support demo recording! >:(

EDIT:

I just found something even worse and more shocking than the inability to record and playback demos in the new Steam port: the -respawn parameter does not work in the new port! There is no skill 5! If you start the game with the -skill 5 parameter, you get double ammo, the same enemy count as skill 4, and enemy reaction time is much faster, but pinkies and spectres do not move as fast as they do with the -fast parameter, and enemies do not respawn! I am devastated

Edited by RonnieColeman

I figured I could record and upload a video of the run since it was short enough. I made a few optimizations to my route compared to that demo I linked, but I'm still hesitant to call this a "speedrun" since a real speedrunner could easily shave 20, maybe 30 seconds off the run time. Have another bump!

edit: Shout-out to @Kills Alone who, as usual, uploaded a run days before me

Edited by RonnieColeman

A pretty sweet map, thank you for making it. Looks great, plays nice. Ammo and health are just right. It was fun.

I hope D64 mapping will become a thing in the coming months.

Here's me bumbling through your map. I suck at Doom, so it took ~15 minutes.

Spoiler