Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bubbleman100

John Romero and John Carmack return to Doom ?

Have you ever thought how cool it would be if Rockstar John Romero and Engineer John Carmack go back to work on their most successful game DOOM, because I ask myself this question every day when I turn on my computer to play Doom, I wonder how it would be these two living legends would return to work on Doom, probably would have an excellent game design, and the most beautiful Engine ever believed. Now say what would be your expectation if these two people went back to work on new games in the Doom franchise

I'm not sure if Romero could make designs like they are on Doom Eternal himself, I think his ego kinda clouds him (I do think Sigil's great) but Carmack is capable of making cutting edge engines no doubt.

If anything I'm scared that Carmack is not on Doom and is on AI, he's probably gonna create Skynet.

So cool dude! I would imagine just the original Rooms that have enemies perfectly placed, and just like the most amazing graphics that just pop. I loved the arena-type battle situations in the new DOOM games, but I also loved the attacks that were in specific sectors that you could run away from, choose your best weapon for the battle and rip n' tear. they would probably add a new weapon or two, and a crap-load of new enemies. Just imagine Carmack's graphics though, just shadows of like imps, so you know the battle ahead, then just a Cyberdemon jumps out of nowhere! I wish they were still making DOOM together. I guess all we can do is cross our DOOMGUY finger puppets that we definitely did not spend an hour making.

Carmack has moved beyond game programming and is trying his hand at VR, no way he backslides into id. I love Romero, but his post-id track record is really spotty. Sigil is great yeah, but it's just a skin for Doom. It's not a new product, it's not representative of what game development takes. 

bring back sandy petersen and american mcgee

If this did happen (highly unlikely) then the expectation for whatever they were working on would be astronomical, and there's no way their work could live up to the hype that would inevitably surround it. 

24 minutes ago, LordBehemoth said:

What even happened to that game blackroom John was supposedly making?

Raised 130k on Kickstarter and was mysteriously cancelled. 

I honestly really don't think they can do it again. It's the same as with various bands and artists reuniting and making new stuff, there's rarely ever something actually great coming out from them again.

Romero and Carmack went in different directions, and Carmack is now interested in VR and (I think?) AI, neither has made games in a long time. The old gang could, in a dream, reunite and make some new stuff, sure, but it just won't be the same. All the magic that was there back in the '90s is long gone now as well.

Frankly, I think the old id Software team and their take on Doom belongs to a bygone era.

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

It's not worth the risk.

As awesome as that would be, that's realistically not happening at this point. Romero has his own game company, Carmack is working on VR/AI stuff, and the rest of the old id team is God knows where. And in all honesty, if the guys did reunite by some miracle, I doubt they could outdo themselves any more than what they already did back in the day.

If Doom 3 is what he's about now, I'd rather Carmack just retired.

If Sigil is what Romero is about now, I hope he makes another .wad soon.

Doom 3 isn’t what Carmack’s been about for over 15 years afaik. He’s been pretty strongly devoted to oculus/VR. Personally I’ve been consistently impressed with it.

When I was a kid I emailed Romero a fan letter and he responded in like 24 hours. A few years back I saw him give a talk at NYU (that was also open to the public, space allowing). He seemed like a good guest and speaker. This weird meme of him being a dick makes no sense to me.

It's a nice thought, but i sincerely doubt it will ever happen. And even if it did, even if they did make a new Doom game, the community will never accept it. They will just pout about it and say it's not a 'real' Doom game. "It's just another NuDoom lol omfg".

1 hour ago, Lizardcommando said:

These days? Probably not. Isn't Carmack too busy with the Oculus Rift stuff to get back in to game development?

Most likely

Wondering about their return to Doom is somewhat the kind of happy idea you get after reading Masters of Doom, but checking on each of their own realities and present situations, it's pretty logic to think that they'll just keep on their projects

Romero did recently work and that mafia game his studio developed, so he's not totally out of the loop with game development.

Although I do think the most he could do would be consultation on game direction, mechanics, etc, and possibly blocking out some level design, which I actually would quite like to see.

17 hours ago, incel said:

Doom was a lightning in a bottle.

As were Wolf3d and Quake in a way. But complex recipes demand more than recognized ingredients i agree.

2 hours ago, insertwackynamehere said:

This weird meme of him being a dick makes no sense to me.

It must be based on that Daikatana ad that people doesn't want to live it down.

15 hours ago, Mara said:

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

The night is darkest before the dawn.

I doubt Carmack would find much interest in game engine development anymore. He seems very much the pioneering type and likes to take on new challenges and unsolved problems. Advancements in graphics are definitely not occurring at the same rate they used to as the 90s (save perhaps for recent raytracing stuff) so perhaps this is why the field became less interesting and why he moved onto VR as it was emerging and now AI. Engine development these days is much more about the less sexy topic of improving tools and workflows so that large teams can work effectively than it is about coming up with some revolutionary new rendering technique.

I’ve no doubt though that John Romero would still have the design chops to come up with a fun modern take on a game like Doom. Perhaps one factor working against that would be the team sizes and investment required for something as polished and large scale as Doom 2016/Eternal. That would tend to stifle a lot of creative freedom and spontaneity that the early id team was able to enjoy. The abstract level design for instance that we all knew and loved from older id games would probably be one casualty of such an environment. Blackroom was an exciting concept though, it sounded like it had potential to be like a modernized version of the early id approach to the FPS, perhaps mitigating some of those scaling issues mentioned. I hope he gets the chance to return to that idea at some point.

Edited by intacowetrust

23 hours ago, Senor500 said:

I'm not sure if Romero could make designs like they are on Doom Eternal himself, I think his ego kinda clouds him (I do think Sigil's great) but Carmack is capable of making cutting edge engines no doubt.

If anything I'm scared that Carmack is not on Doom and is on AI, he's probably gonna create Skynet.

John Carmack went braindead from a car accident and an ai replica of him was uploaded to his brain in 2016

It's difficult for an artist to rehash their past work, they have to be in the right mind set for it and that can be rare. Also, having an expecting audience can be troublesome to the creative process. Ultimately, it is impossible to recapture perfectly the spirit of something in the past.