Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iconofeggsafe666

Are there any commercial-friendly DOOM source ports?

Posted (edited)

If I am not wrong GPL is commercial-friendly as long as the source code is open. And most source ports are licensed under GPL.

GLOOME is dead because it's no longer needed since GZDoom went GPL, there are already commericial games using GZDoom, such as Hedon or The Forestale.

Also every active source port today except ZDaemon is GPL, too.

The Forestale uses a modified version of GZDoom based on GZDoom 3.7.2. It did some source modifications to the renderer. More info here.

On 4/26/2020 at 7:09 PM, Gez said:

GLOOME is dead because it's no longer needed since GZDoom went GPL, there are already commericial games using GZDoom, such as Hedon or The Forestale.

Also every active source port today except ZDaemon is GPL, too.

Oh, so if i make a wad that replaces EVERYTHING (and i mean everything, maps, sounds, enemies, weapons, etc.) and released it in the GZDoom Engine, would i not have to worry about copyright?

Posted (edited)

First, this is more or less exactly what the Freedoom project is doing.

Second, you *always* have to worry about copyright. What you probably do not have to worry about is the license, which would be the GNU GPL for most parts of the engine and whatever license you (i.e. the copyright holder) choose for the content that you create. But even if the GNU GPL is considered a "free" license, there is a lot of stuff that you have to care (not worry) about if you use content that is covered by this license.

12 hours ago, fabian said:

First, this is more or less exactly what the Freedoom project is doing.

Second, you *always* have to worry about copyright. What you probably do not have to worry about is the license, which would be the GNU GPL for most parts of the engine and whatever license you (i.e. the copyright holder) choose for the content that you create. But even if the GNU GPL is considered a "free" license, there is a lot of stuff that you have to care (not worry) about if you use content that is covered by this license.

Oh. I didn't mean do something like the Freedoom project, it's soo far away from anything DOOM-Related that the only planned reference to id, is a parody MAP32 Hundestien 4D, with the Dumbshark as a secret enemy, and it has Russians, instead of Germans.