• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

lostres 2.1 - Doom unused sprites, flats, and textures

da.png These look interesting

Also a thing I noticed: ASHWALL5 is still missing

Edited by SilverMiner

Some items in the last section seem to be colored incorrectly, I think this is to do with Slade mistaking them for SRB2-format graphics or something. They're shown with the proper coloration here, which according to the image descriptions, is done by viewing them with the palette for v0.2.

6 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

da.png These look interesting

Also a thing I noticed: ASHWALL5 is still missing

Which one is ASHWALL5? Edit: Oh, you probably mean name-wise. I named most of these myself, so maybe it's one of the other ASHES I've included.

Edited by NaturalTvventy

Thanks for compiling and editing this! I saw them in the textures thread, and i think they are pretty good from what i saw! Downloaded

Incredible! These look amazing and very fitting for Doom. Very nice. :)

Awesome! Been hoping for something like this for a while, thanks a bunch for doing the legwork to put this together.

This is incredible. I’d been playing with the idea of making one of these myself till I heard you were. I really appreciate the immense amount of effort you’ve put into this - I love a lot of these unused resources and it’s so nice to have ready access to them all now!

17 hours ago, NaturalTvventy said:

Which one is ASHWALL5? Edit: Oh, you probably mean name-wise. I named most of these myself, so maybe it's one of the other ASHES I've included.

A couple of years ago, I went through the Romero dump to try and find the 'missing' patch numbers. Meaning, if Doom2 had an RW27_2 and RW27_3, there was probably an RW27_1 and RW27_4 somewhere (there were, on the graphic 'wallr27.png'). I was able to identify several dozen such patches, but RW22_5 (ASHWALL5) was not one of them. ASHWALL5 is the missing black version of ASHWALL3. AFAIK, there was never an ASHWALL5; it wasn't on 'wallr22.png' or anywhere in the released graphics. However, there was an RW22_1 (ASHWALL1 ?). It's in your wad as CAVE15.

FYI, NiGHTMARE did make a correct ASHWALL5 texture years ago. It's listed as N_ASHW21 in his NB_RECOL.wad.

Also, a question about some missing flats. I saw you added BLOOD4, but not NUKAGE4 from nukage.png. You added the alternate water, but not the alternate lava from stuff3.png. Actually, both of those lava sets are slightly different then the Doom2 version. Were those intentional omissions? The lava is different, but not very.

Edit: I just realized I also didn't see the alternate SLADRIPx from slime.png.

Edited by EffinghamHuffnagel

Awesome! Great work. Surprises me a bit, that something like this hasn't been done before?!

On 4/27/2020 at 5:51 PM, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

A couple of years ago, I went through the Romero dump to try and find the 'missing' patch numbers. Meaning, if Doom2 had an RW27_2 and RW27_3, there was probably an RW27_1 and RW27_4 somewhere (there were, on the graphic 'wallr27.png'). I was able to identify several dozen such patches, but RW22_5 (ASHWALL5) was not one of them. ASHWALL5 is the missing black version of ASHWALL3. AFAIK, there was never an ASHWALL5; it wasn't on 'wallr22.png' or anywhere in the released graphics. However, there was an RW22_1 (ASHWALL1 ?). It's in your wad as CAVE15.

FYI, NiGHTMARE did make a correct ASHWALL5 texture years ago. It's listed as N_ASHW21 in his NB_RECOL.wad.

Also, a question about some missing flats. I saw you added BLOOD4, but not NUKAGE4 from nukage.png. You added the alternate water, but not the alternate lava from stuff3.png. Actually, both of those lava sets are slightly different then the Doom2 version. Were those intentional omissions? The lava is different, but not very.

Edit: I just realized I also didn't see the alternate SLADRIPx from slime.png.

This is awesome! It sounds like you've done extensive work on this already. Thank you for the insights. Once we catch our breath I'll have to check NUKAGE4 as well as the lava, etc. I'm quite the completionist myself.

On 4/27/2020 at 7:08 PM, elend said:

Awesome! Great work. Surprises me a bit, that something like this hasn't been done before?!

I had the same exact reaction after watching decino's videos. I thought, these look cool, let's go find 'em. I was pretty surprised most hadn't had a release beyond their raw form.

On 4/27/2020 at 7:33 PM, Artman2004 said:

Do you plan on adding the first person sprites for the guns?

No. Those all can be found in Xaser's 1993res linked in OP. I didn't want to clutter this up any more than I had to.

Epic compilation!   Got some stuff I missed in ClassicT.wad and the Doom 2 version of EntryHangar Plus.    Are some things like that berserk pack custom edits?  Guess I missed the flaming barrel with the flames up straight up rather than diagonal.   I purposely omitted more of the weapon item sprites but I didn't know there were that many different ones.

Few recommendations:

The Rollee chair offsets are a little jittery.   I would suggest using the offsets from EntHangP.wad.   The Doom Bible calls them Rollee(TM) Chairs so I would have them Pushable in the Decorate.  I have the 0.3 bonus items closer to their original palette but not exact.  The reds are just a couple shades off.  The ChiGem with wrong palette is blue, but fixing it I thought it was supposed be red like later Alpha.  The page says it's supposed to be blue.   I made it cycle through something like five shades.  Did same for 0.3 Unholy Bible.   I have the Vampiric Powerup blink between two shades of red.  Welcome to use more textures I built into 128 tall versions or whatever in ClassicT.wad (updated today).

I can't remember how I determined that specific powerup jar to be the Vampiric apparently around Jan12/2004 (date of this pic) so that's certainly subject to question.

dmaitems.gif.de570ed4eb2e39ad2f6474f901d9764d.gif

Here's another pic of interest (Just reusing previous attachments I've posted).   Of course anything from 0.3 is missing since it hadn't surfaced back then.

weapevol.gif.509c45d1198a4ec78b8f9c05add5d98f.gif

Edited by Gokuma

15 hours ago, Gokuma said:

dmaitems.gif.de570ed4eb2e39ad2f6474f901d9764d.gif

Seeing the shine on that blue bottle from the press release version, I wonder if it hasn't been recycled (scaled-down and mirrored) as the item icon on the Unity ports:

WWRfWLY.png

If you look at the BON1 sprites in the final versions of the IWADs, you'll notice they don't really match this look.

Now this is just amazing, incredible how much stuff if in this, and it all looks really good. I'm especially loving the Baron statue, teleport pads, and the skull barriers.

This must've been quite an elaborate job, but the final product was well worth it.

What this whole endeavor has really taught me is all the gaps in my knowledge of DOOM2 textures. I looked at half those sheets and thought, is this already in DOOM2?? I missed a few - luckily Xaser was there to save the day. If a DOOM(1) texture is a pixel off I'm all over it!

I must wonder how much more of this we'll never see. Despite how much is here, it feels like just a small sampling - a few folders on one hard drive out of who knows how many. Most assets are given to us complete, but there are enough rough draft and alternative graphics to make me wonder what else is lost. Some sheets tease us. This one was randomly placed in the the working folder for textures, but it's sprite work for an alternative tall column. It's not just a recoloring of the marble ones either; it has a different texture to it.

red_lbm.png.392bf30e24d14aac70aa6a6707e67df2.png

This was the last sprite I found before release.

Giving it a second look I realize the skin texture shown is also a bit different from other available pink SKIN textures. I'm going to start a section in the OP of assets not in the archive. The public release beta version of AASTINKY is there, along with the lava variants @EffinghamHuffnagel pointed out (his other catches are in lostres 2.1). Let's see how much more we can find.

FWIW, I'm totally up for helping update this thing with new patches if we find some gaps. There's already a couple of half-finished cleanups of some of the rougher textures sitting on my HDD, and there's a few spots where we can reasonably extrapolate how they would've looked had the texture been completed. Pseudo-authenticity and all that. :P

23 hours ago, Gokuma said:

Are some things like that berserk pack custom edits?  Guess I missed the flaming barrel with the flames up straight up rather than diagonal.

The berserk stim pack was tucked away in one of the wads Romero provided. The alternative flaming barrel was a custom job by @Jimmy I'm pretty sure (I remember seeing him post it somewhere and I credited to him), which made its way into Xaser's 1993 res, and I now consider canon. 

Awesome job you guys. So much stuff I have never seen before actually.

When I went through the RWxx patches, I just did it to try and figure out why id cut things; whether they left them out for floppy disk size or whether they thought there were things that really didn't belong. I mentioned the things I did because animated textures are easier to notice and remember, and I've seen those particular graphics used in maps.

I also make a distinction between 'complete', 'significant' and 'useful'. The alternate lavas are good for completeness, but not really significant and minimally useful; perhaps to indicate a more/less damaging lava pool in a map or to give slight variation among multiple lava pools. Useful, but not universally so. There are couple of variations of TANROCK5 which are useful for the same reason and are also good hints to secrets.

That said, I'll mention one more missing item, which I only noticed last year. In the e23walls folder, the first graphic is named "_backup__lbm.png", and looks to be SLADRIPx. It's actually an intermediate version between the 'dribbly, minimalist' version and the release version. It's a little flatter. Highlights and splashes were added before being released in Doom.wad. Should it be added for completeness? Yes. Is it significant? Not really. Useful? Possibly. It is different, but only slightly. I could see someone using all three versions on a long sewer wall to break up the pattern, or as a subtle hint, but the other two versions are far more useful.

What you did, I can only equate to going through an author's or composer's notebooks after they die to see if there are any lost masterpieces the world can enjoy. Kudos to both of you for your efforts. It is appreciated.

I just want to note that I also made custom textures based on unused content.
The only exceptions are the doors (they came from the Duke).

Спойлер

Just made this texture out of P002A0 and some pixel-pushing.

JOrMxW9.png

For when you need a platform that lets you see the yawning void below your feet, just on the other side of a flimsy sheet of rusted metal.