Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DSC

How Hard Would It Be To Build Doom Levels In Real Life?

I'm no architect, but I believe things like MAP01 would be pretty easy... But the entirety of E4, now you're talking! Anyways, is there anyone out there with more knowledge than me that could give some well-informed opinions? Just quite an interesting topic, in my opinion.

20 minutes ago, Wagi said:

I can attest that wow.wad is indeed extremely difficult to build in real life.

We could just have a pit with loads of mirrors inside.

if you are making to scale size then probably somewhere in the Millions would cost to construct a replica of it

(purchasing Land, Getting a building license, materials and labor)

1 minute ago, Morpheus666 said:

if you are making to scale size then probably somewhere in the Millions would cost to construct a replica of it

A replica of Entryway?

1 minute ago, DSC said:

A replica of Entryway?

yes assuming if you scale the building to how it is in Doom, you have to keep in mind the fact that the UAC ingame is a multi-stellar private company who is probably raking in millions of dollars.

Man, then I don't even want to know what something like Refueling Base would cost...

I imagine the hard part would be coralling a bunch of zombies and flying produce in.

Some levels would be easier, since Doom definitely took some inspiration from real-life places. But building something like E1's levels would be kinda hard imo.

Building in the Doom levels in real life will be    difficult if it's going to be a simple level in a real full scale replica (Lets say MAP01: Entryway), the project will need a high budget to buy and acquire actual land, hire architects to follow the blueprint of MAP01 as well as analyze its level layouts, use and fins very specific resources to build up the whole map, not to mention painting it to match the color of the textures. MAP01 would probably take maybe 3-5 years to actually construct depending how much work force is there...

if you were to make a replica of the first episode, imagine having to deal with the continuity problems and the secrets

One thing I actually don't know how it would possibly be done IRL are self-referencial sectors. Im curious about how that would turn out...

If this were serious, I think the most feasible idea would be to use an augmented reality approach.

Acquire a warehouse plus thousands of solid cubes in Doom-unit sizes (8x8, 16x16, ..., 128x128, ...). Arrange them as the desired "map."

Use a VR headset + wearable PC to supply the texturing, enemies, etc.

Sort of applying a 3D mesh skin to reality.

Things like doors/lifts would require special tricks but could be done using semi-simple wood frames.

8 minutes ago, Master O said:

How about a replica of the Icon of Sin level? 

I guess this is a case in which people wouldn't complain about the Icon being just a wallpaper.

Just now, Artman2004 said:

What about levels from other ID games?

I imagine Wolfenstein would be pretty easy. Quake... Well, in one hand it has got less detail than Doom, on the other, it has got 3D floors...

1 minute ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Everyone involved would be summarily executed by OSHA

And if it was Habitat or Mount Pain?

6 hours ago, DSC said:

We could just have a pit with loads of mirrors inside.

Sure, but how do you recreate the "fake floor" effect, covering the fact that it is indeed, a pit? 

1 minute ago, Yugiboy85 said:

Sure, but how do you recreate the "fake floor" effect, covering the fact that it is indeed, a pit? 

Just have a rug that looks like the floor.

I bet E1M1 could be fairly easy to replicate in real life, minus the radioactive toxic waste, unless you want visitors to become irradiated lol.

17 hours ago, Wagi said:

I can attest that wow.wad is indeed extremely difficult to build in real life.

Could have a bed sheet with FLOOR4_8 printed over and cover a 10 foot deep pit with that and filled with water. And the walls inside the pit are mirrors.

There needs to be a real-life replica of Dead Simple turned into a paintball arena. That would be fun as all hell! Especially if the lifts somehow worked, although that would probably be out of the question and would make the arena too wide-open anyway.

13 hours ago, Master O said:

How about a replica of the Icon of Sin level? 

Large painted wall with the Icon and a lit fireplace. The head on a stick inside will be a challenge though.

When I become rich Im going to build map11 in AV to scale, and live there. 

Might wanna get some furniture though