Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vala

DOOM 64 EX and Re-Release Editing

Hello all, long time DOOM 64 fan here since it's release all those years ago! Great memories of playing in the dark until the early morning hours as a teen, what a great and creepy atmosphere! I've played ex in the past, and now with the re-release I'm interested in trying some map making. I'm a complete beginner but I have enough programming and design experience (I'm an engineer) that I figure I can pick it up easily enough.

I got doom builder 64, and my understanding is a good way to learn is to take some official levels and see how they're put together. I assume I can use slade3 to extract maps to pick at? Are there any tutorials out there for builder64 in general? I saw that Kaiser mentioned tutorials being in the wiki when the tool was released, but I haven't been able to locate any of that material. My understanding is that doom builder 2 tutorials may have some commonality but that some things are doom 64 specific. And that lighting is tricky?

Thanks for the link! Wouldn't anything in the original maps work fine in either, and anything set up the same including switches? Or is it more complicated than that? I've read some compatibility issues are being worked on in some posts by immorpher, but I don't know exactly what that is referencing.

I was able to get started yesterday and add some things to existing levels after looking at some doom builder tutorials. Haven't tried switches yet.

I'm noticing a pile of tutorials posted in past threads seem to be broken links. For example on this page

there are links to several tutorials by Kaiser and others that don't seem to exist anymore. Looks like it used to be Wikimedia, and now it isn't?

It's still mediawiki, but it seems to be a different installation.

Unfortunately, there's nothing useful on the Internet archive so I guess these old tutorials are lost for good.

That's too bad, maybe Kaiser would be able to chime in on that. I think there were custom maps projects being discussed and posted there also on the forums, which also seem to be shut down. It seems like most of the Doom 64 map community has vanished.