Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clippy

I'm back already with a new Vanilla flavoured Doom 2 Map : Glistening Gas Leak

I got bored and just mapped all day yesterday

Here it is - vanilla Doom 2 standard map - best for Zdoom/ Gzdoom I think or however you want to play really

No jumping or crouching but I play with freelook - shouldn't be needed

It's a bit to think and figure out - good luck - if you record a vid I'll watch :)

Get it here -- IT's right here -- http://www.levelgame.net/doom/ggl.wad

No screenshots atm but here's a vid eh

If you built this all in one day, I am impressed!

I played until the end and I liked how you foreshadowed the placement

Spoiler

of the exit and the 3 keys

and how you made revisiting parts of the map fun.

My only constructive criticism after one playthrough is:

Spoiler

Every time you get a key, you drop down and face a Baron. After the 2nd time I knew to expect it. Maybe on the 3rd time I would switch it up to something they don't expect. 

For example, on the 3rd time (i.e. after getting the 3rd key), maybe they face a different enemy but they are also CLOSED IN with it, like the walls raise, the lights flash, or whatever. Just to make that encounter a little different. I knew it was always a Baron so I always expected to grab the key, run off to the side room and pick him off.

Otherwise really enjoyed it! Nice one!

Edited by MatthewPhillips

@MatthewPhillips Thanks for the look friend. Yup - made this yesterday cause wife is working from home doing calls so I sat around and silently mapped hhaha - good times I may do more. I like spontaneous mapping cause I never have ideas anymore but when I splurt sectors all over the place on the spot I get stuff like this. I always like to try to connect my map together in interesting ways and fill em with secrets. Also that scene you were talking about, before it was Archviles but I realized they can blast you to areas I don't want you to get to next, so I swapped em out with double barons instead and just kinda left it. I did try to have monsters come out to distract from the clip room but probably not effective enough. Thanks for feedback! I been mapping for years and years so I can poop these out in a hurry

And I'll play ya maps next chance I get :)

PS to my utoob friends if you're looking for vids to make haha : @Steve88@Austinado@Soulless@mArt1And00m3r11339@HAK3180

1 hour ago, Clippy said:

And I'll play ya maps next chance I get :)

Just an FYI, I've played your MAP twice now and I can only find one or two of the damn secrets! Hahaha! AND I can barely survive your map on "Hurt Me Plenty", so you may find the skill level of my map easier than what you're used to.

I tested mine on Ultra Violence and it feels way easier than yours does for me on HMP! LOL! (But obviously I've been playing mine for 20+ years).

1 minute ago, MatthewPhillips said:

Just an FYI, I've played your MAP twice now and I can only find one or two of the damn secrets! Hahaha! AND I can barely survive your map on "Hurt Me Plenty", so you may find the skill level of my map easier than what you're used to.

I tested mine on Ultra Violence and it feels way easier than yours does for me on HMP! LOL! (But obviously I've been playing mine for 20+ years).

haha I always wonder if my maps are too hard - its easy to beat em when you  play it non stop. I tested mine on a no secrets run and was much harder

I'll reveal a playthrough of my map and secrets after a while.

About to play yours bud wish me luck

Nice map, had much fun playing it. I found 6 secrets, one additional I found only after having a look in Slade and one I completely missed.

10 minutes ago, MundaneBoss said:

Enjoyed it. But only found 25% secrets :(

Haha I really like hiding my secrets

I'll post the walkthrough eventually

I like the idea of showing the player all 3 keys very early in the map and having them out of reach near the exit. It's an interesting design choice.

On 4/28/2020 at 4:36 PM, Clippy said:

I got bored and just mapped all day yesterday

Here it is - vanilla Doom 2 standard map - best for Zdoom/ Gzdoom I think or however you want to play really

No jumping or crouching but I play with freelook - shouldn't be needed

It's a bit to think and figure out - good luck - if you record a vid I'll watch :)

Get it here -- IT's right here -- http://www.levelgame.net/doom/ggl.wad

No screenshots atm but here's a vid eh

The voiceover reminds me of videogamedunkey

48 minutes ago, Thorogrimm said:

The voiceover reminds me of videogamedunkey

Show me

"Yo dawg! I heard ya liked the endin' of MAP17 from DooM II: Hell On Earth! So I put a MAP17 ending inside a map I made and made sure it was extended!"

This joke my brain thought of whilst I was playing this pretty much sums up this map. :P

It's definitely a fun map, just a little nitpick on potential bugs if you're targeting Boom compatibility: with the lift linedef right in front of the red key door, you can't open that door in prboom+ without enabling a compatibility option.

I think the gameplay is really solid overall, even if it wouldn't hurt it if it were a little bit prettier. I found a couple of the secrets on my play through, but I certainly wouldn't have found most of them without rigorously consulting the automap after getting the computer map secret.

a bit late at the party, but still not resurrecting corpses

oh and also this

GGL is a FUN MAP

@Zolgia108thanks so much friend

For Glistening Gas Leak, I took music from 1996's Eternal doom

Here are the secrets you missed in both maps :)

"why would you accuse me of that?" hahahahaah quote of the day

great i forgot about the bfg! completely, i had the secret but not the bfg, really clever by the way. So i was intended to die there^^ dammit i was hoping it was a glitch to accuse you of being a bad mapper!

i noticed the "behind switch thingy", i will be more careful next times! then i noticed the double lift as well. The bfg in imp world was kinda nasty to find... almost like an archjump!

i played the party pit! i missed plasma secret, foun all the rest, i m getting better and better!! but that plasma... i think it was a teleporter right?

PS: i don't care how you pronunciate the name, i don't know how to do that either!

44 minutes ago, Arbys550 said:

Incredibly off-topic but your voice reminds me of this guy:

Hide contents

Nice!  I'm going to have to find that guy and become best friends

7 hours ago, Arbys550 said:

Incredibly off-topic but your voice reminds me of this guy:

Reveal hidden contents

Man these videos are halirious thanks for showing me this lmao

This feels like very much a spiritual successor to your map, Brutal Breakout, Clip, and I applaud you. A terrific map full of dastardly traps and tricky secrets, you make Romero and McGee proud, fam. Incidentally, seeing everyone else's playthroughs only further tells me how appalling my secret-finding ability is lmao.

UV | GZDoom + Hellrider

Tried this out with Bloom on UV. Was a little concerned at first that the collection of narrow hallways would turn labyrinthine, but it was all quite easy to navigate. Enjoyed the way the different routes unfolded (even if the cramped space did make certain Hell/Cabal hybrid enemies way more dangerous than normal *coughimpscough*).

4 hours ago, kawadec said:

Tried this out with Bloom on UV. Was a little concerned at first that the collection of narrow hallways would turn labyrinthine, but it was all quite easy to navigate. Enjoyed the way the different routes unfolded (even if the cramped space did make certain Hell/Cabal hybrid enemies way more dangerous than normal *coughimpscough*).

Thanks so much loved the video. Those revenants are epic

Really fun map. I missed two secrets. Played for around 15 minutes.

Some things I really liked

Spoiler

- Close quarters combat with the hell knights was fun. Overall I think the tight corridors made for some fun combat

- How the map was repopulated with cacodemons after all. Very dynamic and cool!

- How the map gradually opened up. At one point I was flanked by a revenant that came out from a place I'd already been. Pretty cool

- The archvile at the end of the corridor that respawned zombie as shields!

Some things I didn't like as much

Spoiler

- Getting the SSG so early was kind of overpowering. Made some of the barons too easy to deal with

- I didn't have to think about ammo at any time. I had so much in the end that I thought you'd spring something really evil on me, but nothing happened.

- The two archviles at the end wasn't really a challenge with the plasma rifle and abundance of ammo