Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kristian Nebula

Ultra-Nightmare thoughts

Still haven't made it. I've gotten as far as Cultist Base. Got to the whiplashes and, well, any minor hangup in movement and you're done.

Something just occurred to me regarding UNM runs.

I've been taking a look at decino's UNM run and I've realized that there doesn't really seem to be any one definitive way to beat UNM (though he did mention that once you beat the Cueball room in Cultist Base, you've pretty much beaten UNM since that's most likely the ultimate difficulty spike in the entire game).

I bring this up because most people recommend maximizing health first with Sentinel crystals, but he seems to prioritize ammo and armor first before maximizing as much health as possible.

Oh yeah, and it turns out that if you die in the Ripatorium, while possessing the Revenant in Cultist Base, or during that one skirmish in the Fortress of Doom just before Taras Nabad, it counts as a regular death and your run ends there.

23 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

Something just occurred to me regarding UNM runs.

I've been taking a look at decino's UNM run and I've realized that there doesn't really seem to be any one definitive way to beat UNM (though he did mention that once you beat the Cueball room in Cultist Base, you've pretty much beaten UNM since that's most likely the ultimate difficulty spike in the entire game).

I bring this up because most people recommend maximizing health first with Sentinel crystals, but he seems to prioritize ammo and armor first before maximizing as much health as possible.

Oh yeah, and it turns out that if you die in the Ripatorium, while possessing the Revenant in Cultist Base, or during that one skirmish in the Fortress of Doom just before Taras Nabad, it counts as a regular death and your run ends there.

I've seen all of Decino's videos, and although he is very good, I don't always agree with his points of view. The pit, or cueball room as many call it, is not that hard once you memorize where the heavies spawn. After that, it's just a matter of knowing to take out the lighter demons in between by means other than cueballs. There's literally a cueball for each heavy, but I generally use one for the group of lighter demons that first spawn, because it often gets killed anyway if you don't. The last heavy I use an ice bomb and rocket barrage.

My Nightmare run I aced the pit on first try, and if I were to try it on UN, I would just practice on Nightmare until the spawns are ingrained in your memory.

(Skip to the 19:33 mark to see the pit fight)

What is MUCH harder for me is some of the Slayer Gates.

I'd say most, if not all, people who beat it cheat. I know I did, lol... but eh, I'm not ashamed of it or anything, UN is pretty damn inhumane. I run a club on Xbox Live as an admin and I hear a lot egotistical nonsense about amazing feats that can't be proven or displayed... so, ya know, anytime somebody makes a bold claim about Eternal anymore I take it with a huge brick of salt, hah.

Beating Ultra-Nightmare without cheating perhaps at the peak of that scale of things I wont believe if you claim it, lol.

5 hours ago, thewormofautumn said:

How do you even cheat in UN? You don’t mean cheat codes, do you?

Cheat Engine software likely. I'm not familiar with what it offers though, likely God Mode or Noclip if those are possible.

Outside of that, I remember hearing how players could exit the game when Saving Throw is active, restart the game (without using the menu), and they'll reload before the encounter with the Saving Throw ready to be used again. Not sure if they patched this or not.

19 hours ago, thewormofautumn said:

How do you even cheat in UN? You don’t mean cheat codes, do you?

Nah, it's not cheating cheating... more like an exploit to avoid permadeath using the Saving Throw rune. People close the game anytime the rune activates, so that permadeath is never an issue. I don't think it can be patched, it's just a mechanic of how the game auto-saves during crashes. See, if the game crashes or closes suddenly on Ultra-Nightmare, it autosaves. If you died before this autosave, your save is ruined when you load it again- no gun, you can't shoot, etc. It's basically like an anti-cheat system. BUT, if you didn't die, say using Saving Throw, it just reads it in the same way as a crash and you return to the last checkpoint next time you play.

This mechanic is good though- the game tends to crash after beating slayer gates, and it could very easily save your ass by autosaving just as the empyrean key appears. Next time you load, you can just grab the key right away if it crashed, no need to replay the gate.

There're also other ways to avoid permadeath, like any game, but it depends on the platform you play on.

Now, I'm not endorsing this method or anything, I just know that most people like to use this method and talk big like they beat it legit, lol.

I managed to beat it yesterday. Started doing UN runs after completing the game 4 times on Nightmare.

I died in mall fight in first level twice, Cultist 2 times and 1 time in Doom Hunter Base and that was all. I gotta say the hardest level was Final Sin for me, even though I haven't died, I had so many near death occasions more than other levels due to heavily overwhelming demon numbers.

The highest amount of satisfaction I got in any video game so far. 

I beat it finally. I probably over prepared and could have got through it with a sensible strategy, but I really didn't want to drop my aggressive playstyle. So, lots of planning and memorizing, with a few pages taken from the 100% UN speedrunners.